KCOM and VCOM interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read and re-read the interview feed back forum and now I am looking for some any last minute advice and personal opinions from those who have interviewed. I am interviewing next week and hoping to find other viewpoints.
Thanks for any and all comments.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

for kcom, just relax. it really is an enjoyable day. the interviews are not stressful at all. the interviewers just want to get to know you. make sure you know about osteopathy and can verbalize a commitment to the profession.

just relax. they're bringing you here because they're interested in having you attend. good luck!!

Hey box29,

I have an interview at VCOM on March15. I'm so excited. From what I heard they just try to get to know you. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, you too. Are/Did you interviewing/-ed anywhere else.

I had an interview with PCOM back in December. They sent me a letter at the begining of January saying they haven't made a decision, and that they are really interested but I don't meet their minimum MCAT score so they are going to wait until they get my April MCAT score before they decided. So hopefully if I can go up a few points, I will be able to get in there.

Smile80

I tired PMing you but they said you don't receive PMs.

Are you staying at the Comfort Inn Blacksburg? and are you flying into Roanoke or Charlotte. I'm flying into Charlotte because it was MUCH cheaper, but I have a 3 hour drive.

The drive from Charlotte is gorgeous...and the interview is nothing to worry about. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Just be yourself and have fun.

Interviewing at VCOM was a great experience for me. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Each interview was about 30 minutes (3 of them) and the faculty really seemed interested in me as a person and really excited to be at VCOM. They also take you on a tour of Blacksburg which was nice. After I got accepted at VCOM, I declined my interview to KCOM but I have two friends who go there and they love it. PM me if you have any more questions and good luck!!

Thanks, tori.

I have one friend/acquaintence who attends VCOM and another who is an M1 at KCOM. It'll be hard to make a decision between the two when the time comes.

So far, I have had the best experiences with the office of admissions at VCOM!:) They are REALLY nice and enthusiastic. I can't wait to interview!

Oh, since youwere already accepted, have you started to look for housing? Are you going to rent or buy? What is the going rate for renting a 1 bedroom?

I guess you could say I'm jumping the gun. Couldn't hurt to know!

I have been looking at renting but I haven't found anything yet. I am going to Blacksburg on March 8 to try to find something. Most one bedroom apartments go for about $500-$650 depending on how nice you want and if you want to be surrounded by V. Tech undergrads. They are filling up fast though. The place I wanted to rent from is leased out until 2005. I'm hoping to find something when I go up next week. You'll get some brochures and an apartment guide at your interview. Also, there is a VCOM listserve for people who are accepted and are looking for roommates if you are interested in that. If you do get accepted and decide to come, there is an accepted students day on May 22 to meet everyone. Yeah, I think it would be hard to choose between VCOM and KCOM and honestly I chose because of location more than anything. Good luck with your interview and start looking for an apartment as soon as you decide!!!

Don't worry about the interview. You already have accomplished the hard part. They want to get to know YOU. As for everyone, they are great. Our class is looking forward about next years class, and also moving to the 2nd year classroom (it is exactly the same but on the other side of the magical wall!) I am a student ambassador and would be happy to answer anyone's questions. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

sam MS-1
VCOM Class 2007

Good luck with your interview. You'll do fine. Just be yourself. I love VCOM and can't wait till classes start in the fall. Just got back from B-burg and soooo can't wait till our upcoming move. We finally found a house to buy. Can't wait to say goodbye to Northern VA and the awful traffic. I was driving during "rush hour" on Monday in B-burg and didn't even realize it was 5:30. pm. There was almost no traffic. What a great place to go to school.

You all will find out that the VCOM interview goes quite smoothly and the staff is so nice.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

Thanks everyone!

You all are so helpful and I know we'll all be great DOctors! I really hope to be a part of the class of 2008 at VCOM!

box29,

Sorry I haven't written back. I been on vacation in florida for the past week and its been in the 80's all week. I was sad to come back to 50 degree weather. Anyways I'm driving into VCOM on Sunday and getting a hotel room somewhere. I live in Bethesda, MD which is near DC so mapquest tells me its 4 hours and 35 minutes to VCOM. I saw a hotel for 35 dollars but I'm going to go check out the place before I make a reservation for it. How much is the Comfort Inn? I think when I come down on Sunday I will visit a few I have written down and see if I can get one for 35 dollars.

Hey AmyB, I know what you mean about the traffic. I worked at NIH and live five miles away and it takes me 30 minutes to get there and I take back roads. But I really like the area down there, there so much to do.

box29, I can't wait until March 15, we both are going to kick butt on the interview!!!!

I'm going to try to fix the PM thing tonight. Don't know how but I'm good with computers.

sdeel- What is one thing you wish VCOM had or wish you could change?

Thanks

How often do the students use the notebook/laptop? Do you need them for lectures so you can download the ppt presentations?

Smile80,

I think I'm just going to stay at the Comfort Inn Blacksburg since they have a relationship with VCOM. I fly into Charlotte on the 14th and I should get to Blacksburg around 4ish I think.

You use laptops for every class. I guess you download the power points......but you are required to have one in class as far as I know. Also, most of the library material is online rather than in book form.

So do you have to bring it with you everyday? Mine is alittle heavy and then with all the books? Oh my back!!!:confused:

AmyB...congrats on finding the house!

AmyB or other VCOM Class of 2008,

You must be pretty busy...where did the VCOM Class of 2008 thread go? I'd bump it up but I still have to interview and get accepted first...:)

I know I have been busy packing up my house. It goes on the market in "gulp" 1 day.

You must bring your laptop to class every day. That is why I am going to get the lightest weight one I can buy. In fact the class of 2007 has been given some pop quizzes and the ones without their laptops failed. So bring it everyday. I will bump up the thread where everyone has signed up for class of 2008 to see if we have any new people.

I stayed at Amerisuites which is 2 miles from VCOM. I like staying there because it has a big room with two sperate areas, free breakfast and an indoor pool. The VCOM rate is $71. The Best Western across from the Amerisuites is $58.

Good luck Box29. We will be cheering for you:clap: :clap: