KCOM, DMU, NYCOM pros & cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alias5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can you state some pros and cons about KCOM, DMU and NYCOM? About their quality of education, residency match, competitiveness among other osteopathic schools, how well students do on the COMLEX, student faculty interaction... and anything else that is worth mentioning. (please, no comments about location because it's not a factor for me). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I visited DMU and NYCOM and so will only comment on those 2. Although location is not a factor for you, it influences a lot of things that may be factors such as tuition price, living expenses, commute times, and others. Keep in mind that NYCOM is located in one of the most expensive counties in the country so if you attend NYCOM plan to pay a lot for an apartment or plan to commute at least 30 minutes to school or maybe even both. On the other hand, NYCOM's location will provide for some interesting rotation sites. DMU is in Iowa, not as exciting as NY but a lot cheaper and a lot calmer. You can get a nice apartment across from the school for a reasonable price. I believe that you will get decent education coming out of either school, and residency placement is pretty much up to you meaning that you will take the boards, do well in your classes, get good recommendations, and you will end up in a good residency program. If you go to harvard or johns hopkins and fail your boards, you will not get a residency until you get a passing score, so it is all up to you.

Good Luck !

alias5 said:
Hi everyone. Can you state some pros and cons about KCOM, DMU and NYCOM? About their quality of education, residency match, competitiveness among other osteopathic schools, how well students do on the COMLEX, student faculty interaction... and anything else that is worth mentioning. (please, no comments about location because it's not a factor for me). Thanks.