KCOM or AZCOM????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by skidoc, Oct 23, 2002.

1. skidoc

skidoc Junior Member

Which school should I attend? I am having trouble choosing between KCOM and AZCOM. Both are great schools from what I can tell, but I just can't seem to make up my mind. Could anyone who attends either of these schools give me a little help? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Starboard

Starboard Member
    7+ Year Member

Skidoc-

I can totally relate... had to make that decision myself not too long ago!

I had my heart set on AZCOM and never even knew the KCOM would be a consideration, but I was so impressed with both programs that it became a tought decsion. I loved the program for the first two years here at KCOM and the program for the second two years at AZCOM. (I really believe that for primary care preceptor rotations are the way to go). In the end I decided that I probably had a better chance of working to get a 3rd and 4th year rotation style that I liked than I did of convincing AZCOM to change their first and second year curriculum.

Being a west-coaster it was hard to give up the idea of at least being somewhat close to home in Phoenix. But it was the right choice to come out to KCOM.

So I guess it all depends on what you're looking for in your training and how important geography is in your decision process. I've heard great things about AZCOM, but I know when I leave for rotations at the end of this as a KCOM student I will be totally prepared and confident.

Any questions, just ask!

4. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Care to elaborate? I know that a lot of the cirriculum stuff is based on learning styles and personal opinion. I'm just curious about what you didn't like about AZCOM.

Truly a tough choice. Both seem to me to be great schools, with excellent board pass rates. Good luck deciding.

5. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i pulled my app at kcom once i was in at azcom so i can't really speak from experience about both. What i can tell you is that for me-- there is no rival to azcom. I pulled my apps at quite a few schools once i visited azcom. I'd go with what you felt at the schools during your interviews. At azcom i just knew that this is where i want to recieve my medical school education! i don't really do the small town thing which was a big downer for kcom, plus i plan on rotating at mayo in phoenix-- need to get my foot in the door:D you are lucky you get to chose and both are great schools-- congrats!!

6. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

jhug,

I know just how you feel. I did the same thing. I pulled my applications at all of my other schools and declined the rest of my interviews when I got word of my AZCOM acceptance. I knew once I visited for my interview that this was the place for me. It was just "one of those feelings." Right on with the Mayo thing;) I don't know anything about how that would work, but hey...it's there!
    I am really stoked, I keep telling my fiance' that we need to go and visit Phoenix for a few days (scope the housing etc.). Although, the on campus housing at AZCOM looked pretty darn nice.

Congrats to you, and everybody on your acceptances!

7. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

Dear skidoc,

Before pulling your app. at KCOM, consider this...

COMLEX I results returned for the class of 2004 show that KCOM students had a 99.3% pass rate (highest) and KCOM students had the highest average in EACH of the eight sections of the COMLEX. I know for a fact that there are several allopathic residency programs that won't take grads from several MD programs, but readily take KCOM grads. In other words, KCOM has proven itself to EVERYONE and EVERYONE knows you're going to be wonderfully competent coming out of KCOM. There's a solid track record.

If this comes off as being cocky...I apologize. On the other hand, the two items I've just noted might be the most important factors for a burgeoning doctor. You want to most options/opportunities you can possibly have. Forget weather, housing, access to malls, etc. Is that what you're really looking for?

8. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

where do you find this info? AZCOM boasts a 100% pass rate for comlex I (slightly higher than 99.3 ;) ) for the last 2 years....then touro says they have the highest pass rates....then comp says they have the highest first time pass rates. I want to know where this is documented for all to see--until then the highest scores are always where YOU are attending.

I have nothing against KCOM or any DO school for that matter-- we will all end up where we deserve. If you work your guts out opportunities will open up to you no matter where you are. But i will say that azom offers a lot more than weather, housing, and access to malls--that is a uneducated assesment.

9. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

jhug,

See the Forum entitled "The smartest DO school in the Nation" (or something like that). Someone on that forum came up with the same stats with a source.

I did visit AZCOM and was impressed with facilities, faculty, but the cirriculum just didn't seem to fit my mind's eye. There are negative things we could say about every school, but I just felt that KCOM had the advantage when it came to tangible opportunities/options. That's really what matters in the end. What you said about hard work paying off is true. Unfortunately, in the medical profession, institutional reputation does matter. That's not to say that AZCOM has a bad reputation, though!

Ryan

10. San_Juan_Sun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My take has always been that a person should go to the school that fits for you. KCOM or AZCOM would both be good choices. Several students from my undergrad go to both places each year, and I've never heard anything but positives about either.

That being said, a thread like this is frustrating when you see people quoting stats from who knows where. (As if the number of people that passed the boards at a school will help any of us pass.) While I intend no disprespect to KCOM, I hardly believe that it's reputation makes or breaks the career of any of it's graduates.

Until programs start matching students based on only the school's repuatation (which is highly subjective anyway), and not pay attention to LOR's, grades, boards scores, etc., citing a convoluted reputation argument and dubious board scores might not be the best way to judge a school.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I absolutely respect KCOM and it's graduates. A KCOM alum wrote my LOR. I've no reason to doubt that KCOM grads get anything other than excellent educations. Best of luck to skidoc in making such a tough decision.

11. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

Well said San_Juan_Sun. Nevertheless, I am convinced that school reputation can make a difference. You are absolutely right...no school will make or break anyone. Unfortunately, people do look at things other than board scores, grades, etc. That's just the nature of the beast. This is an exaggeration, but, with all things being equal, who would chose "Average State University" over Harvard because they truly believed that scores and grades were all that mattered. That's all I'm arguing here.

Ryan

12. Mire

Mire Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think school reputation is all that important, at least thats what every doctor I have ever known has told me. Of course all that depends on what you want to do. If you want to do neurosurgery residency at Harvard, you may want to consider where you are going to school. That is not a concern for me;)
    On a side note, I interviewed at a couple schools, and AZCOM impressed me the most. They all had positive aspects, but in the end all you can do is go on feeling.

13. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

one more thought-- there is no harvard among DO schools. You will be known as a DO, not a DO from AZCOM or KCOM or Pikesville.

14. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

Of course there's no "Harvard" among DO schools. I was just trying to make a point. Best of luck on up and coming finals.

Ryan

15. kristing

kristing Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am an MS2 at AZCOM. Here is why I LOVE this school:

The faculty have open door policy. There are no "office hours" here. You have a problem, you go see the professor, you get it answered. That simple. Administration also has the same policy. I have already been in to see 4 administrators for varying reasons, and as long as they weren't already in meetings, I got in to see them right then.

As a student you can affect (effect?) change at this school. We've already done it. Here's a few ways:

1. The instructors read their reviews at the end of each quarter, and have changed testing schedules, methods of teaching, etc. based on these. They tell us at the beginning of each year "last year's class wanted X, so we changed this to X."

2. Previous classes told the clinical education department that they needed more time in the 4th year to do interviews for residencies. We will now have a shorter break between 2nd and 3rd year to allow for this to happen.

Are there some things that drive me batty about the school? Sure. But for the most part, knowing that my voice is heard at this school makes it a great place for me. I KNOW that other schools are not as amenable to change as this school is. Part of the reason is that this scchool is the way it is, is because it's so new.

The first year faculty is also FANTASTIC. You will be blown away by their dedication. We are also getting taught things that I know other schools don't teach, which apparently is the reason for our high board passage. We have 12 qiarters of clinical class total. 2 classes first year, and 3 second year (of varying quarter lengths). These classes are rated highly by our students in rotations, since they are such great preparation for rotations.

So there you have it.

I hope this helps.
    Kristin
    AZCOM 2005

16. rbassdo

rbassdo newly hindu
    7+ Year Member

17. skidoc

skidoc Junior Member

Thanks for all of the info. I've decided on AZCOM. It just feels right for me in my situation. Thanks again

18. Azmedstudent

Azmedstudent Member
    7+ Year Member

:clap: Welcome to AZCOM 2007!! I will be going there as well. You did your undergrad at byu huh? So you are LDS right? Where did you serve your mission? I served in Panama '98-'00.

19. San_Juan_Sun

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats to both of you! Nice to see more people getting into AZCOM. Are you guys currently in Utah? Lots of LDS people have gotten into AZCOM this year. At least 7 from my school.

Azmedstudent, was Matt Berry in your mission? Rise and Shout!

I served 97-99 in Jamaica, Kingston.

20. skidoc

skidoc Junior Member

It's good to hear so many "local cougs" will be down in AZ. I graduated in '01, served in Baton Rouge LA 94-96, and I am currently in Sandy. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.

21. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

skiddoc-- congrats on the acceptance/decision! I'm in downtown salt lake-- last year a bunch of us from the area got together and had a little pot-luck dinner get-to-know you....once there are enough of us we should do it again this year! Of those that came last year, there were 6 from byu, and at least 3 more that couldn't make it that graduated from the y.

22. Azmedstudent

Azmedstudent Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't remember Matt Berry. But I could be wrong, maybe if I saw a face. I am in Chandler, AZ right now finishing undergrad at ASU. Hope that we can meet up and all get together sometime down here before school starts.