Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

KCOM or KCUMB?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ingridska, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ingridska

ingridska KCUMB 2010
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Based only on the school/program/clinicals, etc, not city/location, etc, does anyone have some good points for or against either school? Maybe some current students. I am trying to decide. Also, does anyone else contemplate canceling future interviews after sending $1,000 to a school to secure your seat? I am having a hard time making myself go to more interviews after sending out the $.

2. NewNick

NewNick COMP 2010
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I canceled all other interviews after getting accepted to 2 of my top choices. I'm just curious why would you want to go to more interviews.

3. ambernikel

ambernikel ambernikel
    5+ Year Member

I had to decide between these two schools. I think that the price is about the same although I know Kirksville has some scholarship opportunities that I didn't qualify for but you might.

I chose KCUMB because 1) location, I'm married so my husband made this the number one reason (job-wise Kirksville was going to be a huge sacrifice). 2) systems based curriculum. However, Kirksville has a very challenging more traditional curriculum and have good board scores as well.

All of the info I have I learned during my interviews and in researching the schools. I think the biggest difference I found is the level of independence the students have, especially in clinicals. I got the feeling that Kirksville strictly monitored students throughout clinicals where KCUMB gave a lot of independence. (This probably depends on the site you choose also) These both have their pros and cons based on what type of learner you are and what you are looking for. As far as attitudes, KCUMB is very business oriented and Kirksville is small town midwestern country. Kirksville reminded me of my undergraduate school and I felt very at home there. But in some ways I wanted to go to a bigger city and get that experience also. It makes for quite a contrast but I think the important thing is to just find out what is important for you and compare the pros and cons.

I withdrew all of my applications except for OSU and put my $1000 down to KCUMB. Because of the lower tuition and fees and nearby location, it is worth going to an interview there if I get one. But as for now, I'm expecting to attend KCUMB in August.

4. LovelyRita

LovelyRita Blade Slinger
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is true. While it is nice, it sucks feeling like you are out on your own. Plus, you don't feel like you "belong" anywhere. I had been left out of a recent holiday gathering for my base hospital because I didn't get the email. There is absolutely NO mentorship. During 3rd/4th year, I had to seek out my own path for residency, and I think this has to change. I have an advisor, but don't really feel comfortable bouncing ideas off of him.

My advice: Get A Mentor. :thumbup: