KCOM or TCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received acceptances to both and am truly up in the air. My wife is from Ft. Worth so I understand the vast differences in the size of the towns. I want to go to the school that is best for me, but am not sure that I have all of the information. Just wondering if anyone had some input about what may separate these two schools.
Thanks

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Berto,

As I am a first year at TCOM, and have lived here for the last 2 and a half years, I can give you the TCOM side of the argument.

First of all, you should know that our curriculum is systems based, and will be in its third year. Systems based learning is the way most medical schools are heading, and I really think it is better. They have tried to integrate our education, and on the whole I believe it is working, although being in only its 2nd year, there are still some kinks. For your class I am sure things will be running smoothly.

Second, there are eight medical schools in Texas, and our average numbers this year place us right smack dab in the middle of the pack. Baylor and Southwestern have higher averages, and Tech and UT Houston have lower. I am telling you this to let you know that TCOM is very competitive (average wise) even in the state of TX. No longer do the kids who can't get into an MD program go to the DO schools.

Third, and I believe the most important thing, are the students. The students here are great. When you look around the class, for first and second years, you see a lot of good, hard working, friendly people, who are just trying to make it, like you. I imagine this trend would continue as TCOM seems to really like that type of person in their school. You also mentioned that you are married, which is great because we have quite a plethora of "non traditional" students, and there are great organizations for them to be involved in.

Fourth is the area. Fort worth is a great city. The school is located in the cultural district, and although parking is of concern right now, they are working on a new parking garage.

Fifth, we have the best medical library in the state of TX. Not a definitive factor, but something to think about.

Anyway, I believe TCOM to be the best all around DO school in the country, and you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people who would rank it much lower than 2nd. Feel free to email me and ask me any other questions, and I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Crusader
TCOM Class of 2004