kcom typical day-what is it like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthymom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could any of you kcom students comment on your typical day??thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

We usually start class at eight and go until twelve.
One hour lunch
Usually start class at one and the time we get out veries from one to five depending on if we have anatomy lab in the afternoon.

Schedule is very busy but you still have plenty of time to study, and you can always skip class. I find that by skipping biochem and histo I can use those two hours to study the notes and get a lot more done than if I was in lecture

2nd year, there's much less in the way of labs so that's a little better. They still find ways to fill up the day it seems. Plus, the clinical type classes tended to have daily quizzes to keep you coming, especially towards the end of 2nd year, but by then, you're so used to quizzes/tests that its pretty low stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by s42brown
Schedule is very busy but you still have plenty of time to study, and you can always skip class. I find that by skipping biochem and histo I can use those two hours to study the notes and get a lot more done than if I was in lecture

There are a lot of us who skip class so that sort of opens up the schedule. It's sort of scary when you first start doing it, but once you realize you're actually learning MORE by not going to class, it's an excellent way to stay on top of things... I have a feeling there won't be a lot of class attendance for me in third quarter. Far too much to learn and far too little time!!

The only things that have "mandatory" attendance are the OTM labs (you have to sign in and get docked 1% off your final avg for each lab missed) and the radiology labs that we have as part of anatomy. You should always attend anatomy lab since your tablemates depend on you and those can be a real hassle for the schedule since those are the days when we stay in class until 5pm (and you'll probably be here until 6 or 7 until you get used to the cutting).

I guess the moral of the story is, your schedule is what you make it. Regardless of class schedule, most of us work from about 8 to 5 with a few hours of study each night (I've been averaging about 5-6 hrs/night lately) so my schedule is basically 8am-11pm most days. With finals right now (which I should be studying for right now!!) it's more like 6:30am - 2am. And I'm worn out!!!

I'm a second year at KCOM. The typical day begins at 8 and ends about 3, although this varies from day to day. There are 10 minute breaks between each hour. You spend more time in lecture and less in labs 2nd year, and overall I think the classes are much more interesting...Histology/embyro (1st year) vs. Surgery (2nd year). It's not as "torturous" to be in class. Here's a day from earlier this quarter straight from the schedule.

8-Dermatology
9-Pulmonary
10-Pharm
11-Orthopedics
1-Cardiology
2-Surgery
3-Path

Most exams first year are at 7:30. Second year exams are usually at 8 or 9 and our final tomorrow isn't until 1 pm!

Hope this helps.

first year:

8 - go to class for the first few weeks, then start sleeping in. Have a friend pick up lecture notes.
9 - Sleep through OMT class
9:50 - Coffee break (and a doughnut)
10 - Suffer through an hour or 2 of OMT lab
12 - Lunch
1 - Pick up lecture notes and get out of class room before making eye contact with professor. Small town, you know. Don't want to be seen everyday leaving class.
1:05 - set up Playstation in the Breakout room
2 - bathroom break
3 - Anatomy quiz and lab
7-? Study.

Second year:
Less class attendance than the first year.

Originally posted by dobonedoc

1 - Pick up lecture notes and get out of class room before making eye contact with professor. Small town, you know. Don't want to be seen everyday leaving class.

Small town? Does that mean that everyone knows everyone else?

Originally posted by dollarbincommon
Small town? Does that mean that everyone knows everyone else?

Just about...KV is big enough so that you don't know EVERYBODY, but you do know someone who knows someone else...the whole 6 degrees of separation thing, except it's more like 2 degrees.

The last half of my second year in Kirksville I didn't go to a single class that was not required attendance unless there was a quiz.
Sometimes I could go 2-3 days without ever stepping foot on campus. ...Started sleeping in, watching daytime TV, working out more, taking mid afternoon naps, and started having much more productive study time. My Grades went from B's to A's during these months. Wish I would have learned my lesson sooner.

Let me just say that I was really impressed with KCOM when I interviewed there, and was just recently accepted. At this point, I am more than likely sending in my $1000 and attending in August, but I do have some concerns.

From the testimony from KCOM students, it seems hard to believe that KCOM has "top-notch" academics. Don't get me wrong, I am not a gunner, and love to watch Dr. Phil. I am also a nut about working out, but I have a big decision to make regarding which medical school to attend and which will prepare me for a competitive residency. I am wondering if Harvard and John Hopkins allow their students to skip class...

Is KCOM really going to prepare me to be a leader in the medical profession for years to come?

Maybe I'm just blowing things out of proportion, but this is a huge decision to make and I am just trying to find out everything I can about KCOM.

Many people go to every single class. Just like the previous posters eluded to, some students attend class very little. It simply depends on your learning style. For example, I've talked to several professors who have commented that my class attends class in many more numbers than most classes in the past have. Last year's 2nd year class didn't attend like we do. So, as you can see, it also varies from class to class - in general. It's independent learning at its best. It's nice to be able to "pick-and-choose." I for one do much better on my own (active learning) vs. sitting in lecture (passive learning). Yet, there are several classes I would NEVER miss because of pure interest or nature of the material.

Originally posted by YoungFaithful
From the testimony from KCOM students, it seems hard to believe that KCOM has "top-notch" academics. ... I am wondering if Harvard and John Hopkins allow their students to skip class...

Is KCOM really going to prepare me to be a leader in the medical profession for years to come?

Maybe I'm just blowing things out of proportion, but this is a huge decision to make and I am just trying to find out everything I can about KCOM.

Yes, I didn't want my previous post to give you the wrong impression about KCOM. Whether you attend class or not, you are still responsible for all of the learning. I think one of the GREATEST strengths of the school is their respect for individual learning styles and their flexibility with students regarding attendance. I think this makes KCOM a great school in that they realize not everyone learns the same. My post was meant to emphasize the fact that it took me a while to figure out my learning style and what worked best for me, not that KCOM allows its students to be lazy or coast through....anyone will tell you that's not possible at KCOM. It was also meant to emphasize the need to eliminate inefficient time wasters in your daily routine. For me, this time-killer was class attendance and once I eliminated that, I had time freed up to do some enjoyable things.
There were many people who attended class everyday and did very well. On the other hand, the #2 person in our class seemed to only show up on test days. There are some people who just don't feel comfortable or even feel guilty missing class. There are others who make the transition from undergraduate thinking and realize that lecture is just one of many mediums to learn (as KCOM staff also understands) ...and for many (like me) lecture just wasn't the best medium. Contrast this with other schools like LECOM which require attendance every day in professional dress. I just wouldn't want to go to school somewhere that it felt like I was having my hand held.

KCOM does have a great academic record. (This is evident in board pass rates, remarks from physicians at our rotation sites, etc.)

I agree with the earlier posts that you have to find your learning style and make the most out of it.

Originally posted by YoungFaithful
Let me just say that I was really impressed with KCOM when I interviewed there, and was just recently accepted. At this point, I am more than likely sending in my $1000 and attending in August, but I do have some concerns.

From the testimony from KCOM students, it seems hard to believe that KCOM has "top-notch" academics. Don't get me wrong, I am not a gunner, and love to watch Dr. Phil. I am also a nut about working out, but I have a big decision to make regarding which medical school to attend and which will prepare me for a competitive residency. I am wondering if Harvard and John Hopkins allow their students to skip class...

as one of the people who attends few classes, let me explain myself. my learning style is different than most people. i can't seem to learn much from sitting in lectures and having profs read the lecture notes to me. however, i found that if i take that hour and sit in the library and study the notes on my own, the hour is incredibly productive.

there are people who skip class and don't make use of the time. they'll sleep or goof off, but they still get the work done. attendance is dependent upon your educational needs. none of my friends skip class, but all of them understand why i do.

it's a personal choice. the reality is that most of your learning in medical school is during the MANY MANY hours you spend outside of class studying. by skipping class i just gain an extra hour of that (which translates to an extra hour of sleep at night)