KCOM vs LECOM -erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kayla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Recently accepted, decision time! All those that have interviewed there or current med students have any insight on these two schools? I'm most concerned about cost, location and rotations( not necessarily in that order).

KCOM is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone. That being said, tuition is a lot less at LECOM.

Recently accepted, decision time! All those that have interviewed there or current med students have any insight on these two schools? I'm most concerned about cost, location and rotations( not necessarily in that order).

LECOM - Erie

Cost - cheap, in fact, one of the cheapest in the U.S.

Location - Erie, PA - snowy, rainy ("Dreary Erie"), but 2 hours from pittsburgh, 1.5 hours from buffalo, 2 hours from Niagara Falls and 1.5 hours from cleveland

Rotations - found mainly in Erie and Pittsburgh with some scattered in ohio, long island, san diego, buffalo/niagara falls, philly, and central/eastern pa. The one problem with rotations is that there are "mandatory" rotations, mostly in erie and the surrounding areas and one in scranton. Everybody pretty much gets stuck doing one of these regardless of where you do the rest of your rotations.

Classes/professors - ok for the most part, excellent micro, anatomy, pathology, biochem profs, hit or miss with clinical lecturers, pharm professors are ... ok, physiology profs decent

Other - dress code somewhat annoying, but MUCH more latitude for females than males, mandatory attendance for LDP - lecture based pathway (not really enforced), nice fitness center

PM me for more details.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at KCOM and I love it. If you have specific questions, shoot me a pm

I'm a first year student at KCOM and absolutely love it. I'm an east coaster and went to college in a big city 200K+ but easily adjusted to Missouri. The student body is great and the professors are approachable and caring. I've had to miss 4 days of school for personal reasons and the staff and professors were extremely accommodating. I doubt you could find what KCOM has to offer at another school. If you have any questions private message me.

Edit: Also the facilities and resources here are better than any of the other schools I interviewed at.

LECOM - Erie

excellent micro, anatomy, pathology, biochem profs, hit or miss with clinical lecturers, pharm professors are ... ok, physiology profs decent

Other - dress code somewhat annoying, but MUCH more latitude for females than males, mandatory attendance for LDP - lecture based pathway (not really enforced), nice fitness center

PM me for more details.

I can back up the sentiment for the anatomy professors. They also teach embryo and histo. They are excellent and are very willing to work with students do well in class and in lab. We start micro, physio and biochem in the next couple weeks so I'll let you know what I think of those profs.

Also I definitely agree with the females at this school have a much more lax dress code. The only times we don't have to dress up is for OPP lab and when we have surface anatomy labs (doesn't matter anymore because anatomy is over on Tuesday thank god). The funny thing is I tend to stay in dress code most of the day because I study at school and don't usually leave after school is out. I forget to take off my tie or unbutton my top couple buttons because I am so used to the dress code. I like dressing up though. I haven't heard very many complaints about the dress code so far.

At KCOM we average about 2.5-3 hours of OTM per week. Usually we have a two hour lab and every other week we have a one/two hour didactic lecture outside of the lab. Scheduling here is kind of weird so there is a lot of variation. Everyday is completely different.