KCOM vs. UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s42brown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm from st. louis and am applying for the class of 2007. I just got back from a visit to KCOM and loved it. The admissions counselor that I meet was really great and informative. :p I was really impressed with the campus and facilities. I have not had the opportunity to visit UHS-COM, however I am planning on attending the open house in October. My question is for those of you who applied to both schools. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me why you choice the school you did and if you are happy with your decision. I know they're both great schools but what was the difference for you. Thank you for your info.:clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both schools - I really liked them both and had a tough time deciding between the two. There were two main reasons I picked UHS though: it's in a larger city, and you get your first summer off. Despite what some people tell you, you really do have some time to play - so it helps being in a larger city, especially for me as I come from a larger city. Also, it was really valuable for me, especially in hindsight, to have that first summer off. It helped re-energize me for my second year. Good luck to you!

S42-

I'm not sure if I should chime in since I only looked at KCOM but...

Living/ going to school in the middle of no where is a double edged sword. On the one hand it's great for studying as there ain't much to tempt you. On the other hand it makes 'just getting away' for the weekend a little hard, But ultimately I'm not sure location should play too much of a role in your decesion.

As for no summer's off... ya it sucks and ya it's a shock when you first hear about it, but in the end it's ok. We actually had a 2 week preceptorship and a 3 week break at the end of the summer so it was a nice distinction b/t first and second year. And really as a doc what are the chances of you ever having a summer off? Might as well get used to it now...

Ultimately you have to ask yourself where you felt the most comfortable and what environment is most likely to support your endeavor. You might also ask folks if there's something they wish they would have known before making their decision...

Good luck!