KCU-Joplin VS CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shur711

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to KCU-Joplin, but I live in Florida and got an II from CUSOM. CUSOM is closer to home (not by a lot, but still drive-able), so that's what's making me consider it. Everything I read online is telling me KCU is better than CUSOM. Is this correct? Any reasons I should consider going to the CUSOM interview?

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity what did you read to lead you to determine KCU is better than CUSOM? I ask because I am in a similar situation and Im leaning more towards CUSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
KCU has higher board averages (highest COMLEX part 1 scores in the nation last year I believe), their overall demeanor is better, they have a more diverse match list (meaning they don't necessarily match only into internal medicine etc like a lot of other DO schools), and they've been around for almost 100 years and are one of the 5 original D.O. schools. Their curriculum is also very intense which is why their students seem to be well prepared for board exams.

CUSOM is a much newer school comparatively, and I have a friend that goes there that says that it's basically in the middle of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m biased because I have a deposit down on CUSOM, but I would be a tad worried that it is Joplin’s first class.

I'd pick KCU just because CUSOM has mandatory attendance and a dress code. I was accepted at CUSOM and didn't put a deposit there for those two reasons. You want to have as much flexibility as possible during your first two years.

KCU has higher board averages (highest COMLEX part 1 scores in the nation last year I believe), their overall demeanor is better, they have a more diverse match list (meaning they don't necessarily match only into internal medicine etc like a lot of other DO schools), and they've been around for almost 100 years and are one of the 5 original D.O. schools. Their curriculum is also very intense which is why their students seem to be well prepared for board exams.

CUSOM is a much newer school comparatively, and I have a friend that goes there that says that it's basically in the middle of nowhere.

Hey thanks so much, I asked this question before interviewing at KCU-Joplin. Im was really impressed with the 100 year history and residency matches. Im from the southeast though so its a tough decision, BUT gotta wait and see if I get accepted to KCU first. Anyways thanks again