KCUCOM (Joplin) vs. UKCOM (Lexington)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e.marie13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thankful to have been accepted to KCUCOM (Joplin campus) and UKCOM (Lexington campus). Although I can hold an acceptance to UKCOM for a while without immediately finalizing a decision, the first deposit deadline for KCUCOM is quickly approaching and I am needing to determine whether I will make that deposit or not to hold my spot at KCUCOM in Joplin.

KCUCOM (Joplin campus)
Pros:
- in Missouri (grew up in Missouri, few members of my family still live there but my boyfriend has some family members in Missouri, and I of course have some friends from HS/college in Missouri, all about 2-3 hours away from Joplin)
- know several other students who have graduated from or currently attend KCUCOM (would have some good reference points for questions/advice)

Cons:
- would have to move across several states (currently reside in Lexington, KY)
- cost (tuition is more expensive since KCUCOM is a private school)
- have to make $2,000 in deposits by middle of January

UKCOM (Lexington campus)
Pros:
- currently reside in Lexington, KY, so even if my boyfriend and I moved it would just be across town or to a new location here in Lexington
- currently work at UK, so I'm already familiar with several physicians in my department and the hospital system somewhat (feels comfortable knowing I already know my way around a little bit)
- don't have to make a deposit, and tuition is cheaper since I would be an in-state student

Cons:
- none of my family live in Lexington or KY (just my boyfriend and I and our cat and dog), so my familial support system wouldn't be super close
- higher cost of living in KY compared to MO

Extra Notes:
- I grew up in a small town, so I don't anticipate the size of Joplin being an issue as far as comfort
- I'm not entirely certain on which specialty I want to go into. I think I've ruled out family practice, but otherwise I'm pretty undecided on which residency I will pursue.
- both schools are pass/fail
- I feel like as I'm typing this out, I seem to be leaning towards NOT making the KCU deposit and sticking with UKCOM. I think I'm wanting to make sure that's not an insane plan or thing to do - knowing how long it's taken for me to get even one acceptance to medical school makes it hard to deal with the thought of declining an acceptance now, especially this early in the cycle. o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Take the in-state tuition at the MD school. There is no reason to choose KCU over Kentucky.

Reactions: 1 user