KCUMB acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJcandy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that more than 80 percent of the people interviewed at KCUMB get accepted, I was just wondering if this is true..any thoughts? I recently went for an interview at KCUMB, and the interview went extremely well, I love the place and I love the faculty, really positive experience overall. However, I'm alittle paranoid because I did not get any difficult questions in the interview. I was expecting them to asking me about my grades (some lower grades in my sciences gpa), but they didn't touch on it at all. I'm happy that I wasn't grilled, but at the same time can't figure out why they didn't ask me about it. Does this mean that I'm okay on paper? That my grades are acceptable? or does it mean they don't focus on academics in the interview?.....sorry....this paranoid feeling is bothering me ALOT, any advices? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

imo, if they didn't ask you, they didn't think it was important. kcumb really does accept most people they interview, so if you didn't blow your interview, you should be fine. if they invited you for an interview, they want to admit you -- they already know about those science grades and still want to admit you anyway. i interviewed on thursday and got my acceptance that following wednesday, so check your mail like crazy in the next few days. :)

I have to say that I thought my interview at KCUMB went horrible. I had this fat DO who sat back in his chair, with his arms crossed, and grumbled out rude comments to be throughout the interview. Luckily the woman who was also interviewing me was extrememly nice or I may have had to get up and sock the guy. He said that since I am a 20 yr old graduate of UCONN i must have a serious problem. He actually said that he thought I had a major OCD problem based on the large amount of extracurricular activites and jobs that I have had. It is sad but this DO in particular turned me off from the school. I gave great answers to the questions that were asked, and was accepted at KCUMB. When asked where I saw myself in 10 years, I said that I wanted to work with the underpriviledged and this same DO said that i'll be the doctor living in the cardboard box on the street. Ok i need to stop because I'm getting angry all over again !! I'm happy thought that others had a great experience there and I think that the genesis curriculum is truely great. Ill be attending AZCOM instead though

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, i'm sorry you had such a horrible experience at KCUMB!! I had not heard of anyone getting such an awful response from an interviewer there. Most of the people I talked to had a wonderful experience (including me), and I really loved the school and the campus...and it has a great reputation (from what i've heard so far).

sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, maybe that person just had a really bad day or something. At least you still did really well under pressure and managed to get acceptance anyway.

however, this kinda made me think, if they give me a easy time, does it mean they are not too serious about admitting me? If they didn't ask any hard questions does it mean that they already made up their mind about me and just doing the interview as a courtesy thing? :( ....I know you are all going to tell me to snap out of it and stop over-analyzing everthing.....but sooooo hard... help..

No, I doubt it means that at all. Different interviewers are interested in different parts of your application. The KCUMB interview is actually supposed to be pretty laidback, according to last years applicants. I guess they were a little harder on some applicants this year, as some of us got some ethical questions we weren't expecting. But all in all, it's more about getting to know you than about analyzing your scores and your grades. Usually, by the time they interview you, your grades etc are not in question, your personality is. Anyway, don't worry about it...maybe they already knew they wanted you and the interview was just a formality...ever think about it that way? and the turn around at KCUMB is pretty quick (unlike some schools I won't mention :rolleyes: ) so you should hear back pretty soon..good luck

hi tallulah

thanks for your reassurance, I'm seriously developing several obsessive/compulsive behavior due to this whole application process...ie compulsive mail checking, email checking, calling, worrying, paranoia..etc...lol..the list goes on. I better find out soon, before I get admitted to a mental institution first..... :rolleyes:
thanks for the reminder to think more postively :thumbup:

JJcandy said:
sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, maybe that person just had a really bad day or something. At least you still did really well under pressure and managed to get acceptance anyway.

however, this kinda made me think, if they give me a easy time, does it mean they are not too serious about admitting me? If they didn't ask any hard questions does it mean that they already made up their mind about me and just doing the interview as a courtesy thing? :( ....I know you are all going to tell me to snap out of it and stop over-analyzing everthing.....but sooooo hard... help..

I feel for you... I also interviewed last week (Tues 11/15) and I loved the school. I thought I did good on my interview also, and I am anxiously awaiting the outcome. Everyone says that they pretty much want you if you are invited for an interview. I sure hope so because I thought the school, the facilities, and the students rocked. It is my first choice right now. I also got a copy of their match list and I was pretty impressed. If you want a copy just let me know. I really thought the whole experience what great. The best part I thought was their curriculum.

Anyway....I could go on forever because I really liked the school and even though I have interviewed at several others, KCUMB was my favorite. Good luck to you and hopefully we will both get in... :)

mrdarthvader said:
I also got a copy of their match list and I was pretty impressed. If you want a copy just let me know. I really thought the whole experience what great. The best part I thought was their curriculum.

me, me! i want a copy of that match list if you could get it to me. :) they didn't give us one at our interview (i guess they weren't available yet or something). actually, if you look at the kcumb class of 2010 thread, you'll find lots of people who want that match list copy.

i really liked the school, the curriculum and kansas city would be cool because it's close but not too close to both my and my husband's family.

Me wanty!! If you could post or scan the list I would really appreciate it.

To the OP, I had the same doubts right after the interview. No hard questions, just basic stuff. At the end, they asked me if there was anything that I wanted the adcoms to know that wasn't in my app. This caught me by surprise. I also got my acceptance within a week. So I wouldn't worry about the interview since thats just KCUMB's style.

ooh ooh I want one too

exlawgrrl said:
me, me! i want a copy of that match list if you could get it to me. :) they didn't give us one at our interview (i guess they weren't available yet or something). actually, if you look at the kcumb class of 2010 thread, you'll find lots of people who want that match list copy.

i really liked the school, the curriculum and kansas city would be cool because it's close but not too close to both my and my husband's family.

No problem.... They didn't offer one up at first but I asked and one of the student ambassadors about it and he went to the registrar's office and got it for me after the interview. I'll send it to you via email....just PM me your email address and I'll send the attachment. It is a excel file.

Anyone else that wants it too just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you...

:D

:rolleyes:
JJcandy said:
hi tallulah

thanks for your reassurance, I'm seriously developing several compulsive behavior due to this whole application process...ie compulsive mail checking, email checking, calling, worrying, paranoia..etc...lol..the list goes on. I better find out soon, before I get admitted to a mental institution first..... :rolleyes:
thanks for the reminder to think more postively :thumbup:

ha...i'm kinda a hypocrite since what you just described is what I'm going through right now waiting for answers from PCOM GA and PCOM PA...maybe i should take my own advice and relax

Members don't see this ad :)
mrdarthvader said:
No problem.... They didn't offer one up at first but I asked and one of the student ambassadors about it and he went to the registrar's office and got it for me after the interview. I'll send it to you via email....just PM me your email address and I'll send the attachment. It is a excel file.

Anyone else that wants it too just PM me your email address and I'll send it to you...

:D

thank you so much ! I was just trying to figure out a way of getting my hands on that match list! must be my lucky day :)

Tallulah said:
:rolleyes:

ha...i'm kinda a hypocrite since what you just described is what I'm going through right now waiting for answers from PCOM GA and PCOM PA...maybe i should take my own advice and relax

lol...it's okay, the common symptoms of us poor premeds ;) I wish you lots and lots of luck

What's the entrance GPA and MCAT average of last years students at KCUMB?
is it really 3.48 and 24?

What's the entrance GPA and MCAT average of last years students at KCUMB?
is it really 3.48 and 24?

I sent a thankyou note to my interviewer, I was just wondering those of you who already got accepted, can you tell anything from the reply to your thankyou note? Were they very enthusiastic in their reply?

....desperation settles in......

JJ Candy~

I just heard from KCUMB today and I got an acceptance. I was suprised because they really didn't ask me hard questions and I was worried that they really didn't get a feel for me. I guess they did! 3 other people I interviewed with got in as well. They really must "weed out" people to interview, so I wouldn't be worried....they really do accept 80%!

DORocksMySocks said:
JJ Candy~

I just heard from KCUMB today and I got an acceptance. I was suprised because they really didn't ask me hard questions and I was worried that they really didn't get a feel for me. I guess they did! 3 other people I interviewed with got in as well. They really must "weed out" people to interview, so I wouldn't be worried....they really do accept 80%!

CONGRADULATIONS!!! :thumbup:
so happy for you yet so jealous :oops:
When did you interviewed? and what are your stats, if you don't mind me asking? as the days go by I'm getting more and more paranoid, I know what you mean, I feel that they didn't get to know me well enough either. Did you send a thank you note to your interviewers? Did they reply? I got a really generic reply, I'm kinda scared that it might means bad news.......
sigh...the waiting game is soooo painful

DORocksMySocks said:
JJ Candy~

Just curious, but when did you interview and how did find out? By phone, snail mail, or email? I interviewed last week on Tuesday 11/17...they told us we should find out by 11/28 so I am just curious to see what the timeline was for yours.

Some info about your questions. I interviewed 11/10...I actually heard today (I CALLED THEM) and they told me that the letter of acceptance was sent on Friday...so I should probably get the snail mail version tomorrow or Wednesday. I know they reviewed my interview on 11/18 (they told me that) so they sent the letter the same day they made the decisions. I did send Thank Yous and I actually didn't get a reply to either of those letters. My stats are kinda skewed...I have a 3.6 overall and a 3.9 science GPA. My MCAT is really low for the science GPA that I have....But the rest of my application is super strong....research, attended conferences, volunteer, etc., I haven't interviewed anywhere else, though....so my MCAT really makes my application sad. I am actually on hold at several schools.

I really wouldn't be anxious about it....I am sure you will be fine. How are your stats?

DORocksMySocks said:
Some info about your questions. I interviewed 11/10...I actually heard today (I CALLED THEM) and they told me that the letter of acceptance was sent on Friday...so I should probably get the snail mail version tomorrow or Wednesday. I know they reviewed my interview on 11/18 (they told me that) so they sent the letter the same day they made the decisions. I did send Thank Yous and I actually didn't get a reply to either of those letters. My stats are kinda skewed...I have a 3.6 overall and a 3.9 science GPA. My MCAT is really low for the science GPA that I have....But the rest of my application is super strong....research, attended conferences, volunteer, etc., I haven't interviewed anywhere else, though....so my MCAT really makes my application sad. I am actually on hold at several schools.

I really wouldn't be anxious about it....I am sure you will be fine. How are your stats?

Hello DORocksMySocks
Your GPA is solid, I'm sure it makes up for whatever mark you got on your MCAT. Sounds like you have a really strong portfolio, it's no wonder you got accepted. Good job! after all, you only need one school to become a doctor, and you got KCUMB!!! that's AWSOME!!!! :thumbup:
I'll PM you my stats

mrdarthvader said:
Just curious, but when did you interview and how did find out? By phone, snail mail, or email? I interviewed last week on Tuesday 11/17...they told us we should find out by 11/28 so I am just curious to see what the timeline was for yours.

hi mrdarthvader

you interviewd on the 17th?
Do you recall hearing something like they are making decisions on monday nov 21 (today) and sending out the lettering before wednesday? (before thanksgiving). Did I hear it wrong? :confused:
I'm thinking of calling them tommrow to check, because I need to schedual my next interview, but if i get accepted at KCUMB I'm cancelling everthing else

JJcandy said:
hi mrdarthvader

Do you recall hearing something like they are making decisions on monday nov 21 (today) and sending out the lettering before wednesday? (before thanksgiving). Did I hear it wrong? :confused:
I'm thinking of calling them tommrow to check, because I need to schedual my next interview, but if i get accepted at KCUMB I'm cancelling everthing else

JJCandy -
I don't recall them saying anything about when they would decide...just that we would have a letter by 11/28. I was thinking about calling too. It sounds like from DOrocksmysocks that decisions were made on Fridays. So maybe they sent them out and we will find out soon. I might call tomorrow just to see though :)

Good Luck I hope we both get in!

JJcandy said:
hi mrdarthvader

I just called KCUMB and was told that they met yesterday, but that she didn't have any information from the admissions committee yet and that a letter would probably be mailed out in the next day or so...She swore she didn't have any info, but now I am freaking out since it sounds like when DOrocksmysocks called he found out right away. I'm just worried now because maybe if they don't accept you maybe they don't tell you on the phone... :(

Any info/help from anyone would be much appreciated???

JJCandy...Did you call today? If so what did they tell you? If I remember right you interviewed after me last week right? Great now I freaked my self out even more... :confused:

mrdarthvader said:
I just called KCUMB and was told that they met yesterday, but that she didn't have any information from the admissions committee yet and that a letter would probably be mailed out in the next day or so...She swore she didn't have any info, but now I am freaking out since it sounds like when DOrocksmysocks called he found out right away. I'm just worried now because maybe if they don't accept you maybe they don't tell you on the phone... :(

JJCandy...Did you call today? If so what did they tell you? If I remember right you interviewed after me last week right? Great now I freaked my self out even more... :confused:

when i interviewed, the student ambassadors advised against calling because it really depends on who you talk to. some people might tell you something, some might know and not tell you, and some might not have a clue. it's very possible that you talked to one of the last two. so, i don't think it means anything. :)

JJcandy said:
I sent a thankyou note to my interviewer, I was just wondering those of you who already got accepted, can you tell anything from the reply to your thankyou note? Were they very enthusiastic in their reply?

....desperation settles in......

Hey there! I just interviewed on 11/10 and was accepted. My MCAT is a 22 (yuck) and my GPA is 3.76 with a science of 3.75. I was asked about my poor grades freshman year of my Associate's degree (now I am in a different Bachelor program) but the interviewer didn't seem derrogatory when he I asked.

I emailed thank yous, and one of my interviewers responded 3 or more days saying that I was welcome and an candidate, I just found out yesterday I was accepted!

mrdarthvader said:

I called yesterday (interview 11/10) and Ruth told me of my acceptance.

mrdarthvader said:

Hi mrdarthvader
Don't worry, I called this morning and got the same thing told to me. I reacted the same way, but I think since they met yesterday to look over everyones file who interview that week, you interviewed on tuesday right? I interviewed on thursday. There might be quite a number of people to look through and I think the information is still probably not transferred to the office yet. Don't worry, let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best. I think we are both very enthusiastic about the school, and I think they can tell from the interview. I think we have a good chance....I hope...lol.....nevertheless, there's nothing we can do but to sit and wait now, breath....I had to make sure I did that after that phone call this morning. They actually told me to check back in the afternoon, because I called really early in the morning, so hopefully we'll hear something in the afternoon. Don't worry mrdarthvader, I think they are just really not ready yet. I don't think it means anything. I'm just scared that I'm annoying them with the phone calls, I hope they don't reject me because I was too anxious and I called too many times in one day.... :p ....

Raven Feather said:
Hey there! I just interviewed on 11/10 and was accepted. My MCAT is a 22 (yuck) and my GPA is 3.76 with a science of 3.75. I was asked about my poor grades freshman year of my Associate's degree (now I am in a different Bachelor program) but the interviewer didn't seem derrogatory when he I asked.

I emailed thank yous, and one of my interviewers responded 3 or more days saying that I was welcome and an candidate, I just found out yesterday I was accepted!

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!
thanks for your help, the worst part of this whole thing is not knowing.......I'm crossing my fingers, hopefully I'll see all you awsome people next year!

omg, I'm in I'm in I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:
I'm soooooooooo happy!!!!! KCUMB 2010!!!!!!!! my first choice!!!!!!!!!

Hey Raven Feather and JJCandy...congrats! Raven Feather....we interviewed together! Whose tour group did you go with! How cool is that! I am so happy for us! YAY!

JJcandy said:
omg, I'm in I'm in I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:
I'm soooooooooo happy!!!!! KCUMB 2010!!!!!!!! my first choice!!!!!!!!!

Hi JJCandy,

Congradulations.... That is so awesome!!! I am really happy for you. :D

I felt better after I read your first post about getting the same answer as I did this morning...but then when I read you called back and found you got in I called back too. Unfortunately they told me the same thing they told me this morning. I spoke to Ruth, but she said she didn't have any information from the admissions committee yet and to check back at the begining of next week. Well after the interview they told me that we would all get a letter by 11/28. Oh course I am thinking maybe she is telling me to wait until next week so that I will find out the bad news with a letter and she won't have to tell me. I am still holding out hope, but I am really concerned since I iterviewed on Tuesday and you interviewed on Thursday...

In any case... I am really happy for you!! :D CONGRATS!!

Congrats!!! Now hurry up and contribute to our class thread. :D

mrdarthvader said:
Hi JJCandy,

Congradulations.... That is so awesome!!! I am really happy for you. :D

I felt better after I read your first post about getting the same answer as I did this morning...but then when I read you called back and found you got in I called back too. Unfortunately they told me the same thing they told me this morning. I spoke to Ruth, but she said she didn't have any information from the admissions committee yet and to check back at the begining of next week. Well after the interview they told me that we would all get a letter by 11/28. Oh course I am thinking maybe she is telling me to wait until next week so that I will find out the bad news with a letter and she won't have to tell me. I am still holding out hope, but I am really concerned since I iterviewed on Tuesday and you interviewed on Thursday...

In any case... I am really happy for you!! :D CONGRATS!!

Hi mrdarthvader
thank you for your congrats, I really appreciate it!
There's still hope, maybe they didn't get to finish all the reviews in one day. You never know! I sincerely wish you best of luck! Even if we are not going to be classmates! we'll be colleagues!! I'm sure of it! :thumbup: