KCUMB or TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was recently accepted to both Touro Nevada and Kansas City. I was just hoping to get a little feedback on your opinions of the schools. Advantages of one over the other etc... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I have to make a decision for Touro by Thursday.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I was recently accepted to both Touro Nevada and Kansas City. I was just hoping to get a little feedback on your opinions of the schools. Advantages of one over the other etc... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I have to make decision for Touro by Thursday.

The choice for me was obvious (having interviewed at both schools). How did you feel at each school? Did you like the atmosphere, facilities, presentation, interview at one more than the other? I was not impressed at all with TUCOM NV. The only thing it might have over KCUMB is extremely diverse rotation experiences (EVERYTHING under the sun happens in Vegas, and i'm sure you will see it all). Other than that KCUMB has the facilities, campus-like feel, systems curriculum (huge for me), and community and national reputation (it's been around forever).

Summary: You will receive a comparable education where ever you go, but you want to make sure you are a good fit for the school and the school is a good fit for you. If you had severe reservations at either school than take that into consideration.....and choose KCUMB ;)
(wow, such a biased answer!)

The choice for me was obvious (having interviewed at both schools). How did you feel at each school? Did you like the atmosphere, facilities, presentation, interview at one more than the other? I was not impressed at all with TUCOM NV. The only thing it might have over KCUMB is extremely diverse rotation experiences (EVERYTHING under the sun happens in Vegas, and i'm sure you will see it all). Other than that KCUMB has the facilities, campus-like feel, systems curriculum (huge for me), and community and national reputation (it's been around forever).

Summary: You will receive a comparable education where ever you go, but you want to make sure you are a good fit for the school and the school is a good fit for you. If you had severe reservations at either school than take that into consideration.....and choose KCUMB ;)

^Agree with poster. I interviewed at both locations as well and I LOVED KCUMB. It had a campus feeling to it vs. one building and not seeing the light of day unless you made it a point to step outside for a bit (even though you prob. wouldn't want to bc vegas can be excruciatingly hot in summer months) . Kansas City has more moderate weather which is better than extremely cold or extremely hot. KCUMB also has century towers - granted it's not the best but it's so darn convenient. I plan on going to a school that has systems based curriculum. Touro NV does not have that. KCUMB also has outreach program like Score 1. early clinical experience.

That's just to name a few points that I considered. If I was not accepted into one of my state schools, I'd be at KCUMB! (it's also cheaper than TUN, I think)

Good luck in your decision! and CONGRATS! you're gonna be a doctor!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was already leaning heavily towards KCUMB. I was far more impressed by their facilities and the overall feel of the campus. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything from Touro. I am a huge fan of the systems based learning at KCUMB and the patient simulators. I'm sure they are both good schools, but I think I will be choosing KCUMB. Like I said I won't be making my decision until Thursday, so if anybody else has any comments, I'd still love to hear them.

^Agree with poster. I interviewed at both locations as well and I LOVED KCUMB. It had a campus feeling to it vs. one building and not seeing the light of day unless you made it a point to step outside for a bit (even though you prob. wouldn't want to bc vegas can be excruciatingly hot in summer months) . Kansas City has more moderate weather which is better than extremely cold or extremely hot. KCUMB also has century towers - granted it's not the best but it's so darn convenient. I plan on going to a school that has systems based curriculum. Touro NV does not have that. KCUMB also has outreach program like Score 1. early clinical experience.

That's just to name a few points that I considered. If I was not accepted into one of my state schools, I'd be at KCUMB! (it's also cheaper than TUN, I think)

Good luck in your decision! and CONGRATS! you're gonna be a doctor!

I second all of the above. This was a no-brainer for me.

Haha, we got the KCUMB crew in full force here.

I don't think there's anything else to be said, just make sure to join our FB group if you decide to go here :thumbup:

Last edited: