KCUMB VS. LECOM-Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myers82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a bit of help deciding which school, either KCUMB or LECOM-Bradenton, to attend. The deadline to accept KCUMB’s offer is February 28th, which is rapidly approaching, and I’m very nervous about choosing the best school.

I really like both schools approach to learning. KCUMB is a systems based approach and has, from what I understand, proven well for the boards. Conversely, LECOM-Bradenton is a problem-based learning, which again has shown to increase board scores. The location is the only thing that causes me to lean to LECOM-Bradenton. If you could leave me your choice between these two and why I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

KCUMB is the way to go. It has been producing quality physicians since 1916.

I don't know anything about LECOM-B other than that it's a new school, but KCUMB has a proven track record with their systems-based, genesis curriculum. They have a 98% pass rate on the boards, approx. 50% of their graduates enter non-primary care specialties, the school is modern, and the administration actually tries to do something with their money - hence the new research facility. The lower level will be NIH-funded and the upper level is supposed to be the only adult academic clinical center in Kansas City. I think KCUMB has a great track record, but if location matters more to you (ie. you'll be close to family or just like the surrounding environment), then you might want to consider LECOM-B. I forgot to add, I really like KCUMB's new name :)

P.S.

I was reading a study and it showed that PBL learning helps for NBME III, but conventional learning still proves best for NMBE I. This applies to the USMLE exams though, and Step I does not seem to be as clinical as COMLEX I from what I've heard, even though the USMLE III exam is pretty comparable to COMLEX III, so go figure. Just some extra info you might want to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Myers82 said:
I need a bit of help deciding which school, either KCUMB or LECOM-Bradenton, to attend. The deadline to accept KCUMB’s offer is February 28th, which is rapidly approaching, and I’m very nervous about choosing the best school.

I really like both schools approach to learning. KCUMB is a systems based approach and has, from what I understand, proven well for the boards. Conversely, LECOM-Bradenton is a problem-based learning, which again has shown to increase board scores. The location is the only thing that causes me to lean to LECOM-Bradenton. If you could leave me your choice between these two and why I would greatly appreciate it!

Actually, I don't think there is any conclusive evidence of increased board scores. The studies have mostly shown that there is no reduction in average score. The advantage to pbl is case based learning in groups. You will be exposed to diagnosing patients from the beginning. This should make you much more knowledgable in your rotations. This will hopefully impress your evaluators...

KCUMB having a reputation already established is a big positive. In the end go where you feel most comfortable you won't do well if you aren't happy.

Listen this is a no brainer...I graduated medical school 3 years ago and I actively interview residents etc...you need to be in a WELL ESTABLISHED SCHOOL.
DO's are often in a position where they must prove themselves, the best way is go to a well established program with well established ROTATIONS (no one care about the first 2 years) and then get good scores.

I can tell you without a doubt a school named "Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine-Bradenton Florida Campus" is going to raise eyebrows.

I would never suggest a single soul to pass up a chance at a well established medical school...It is the hospital affiliations that really matter.

Freeeedom! said:
Listen this is a no brainer...I graduated medical school 3 years ago and I actively interview residents etc...you need to be in a WELL ESTABLISHED SCHOOL.
DO's are often in a position where they must prove themselves, the best way is go to a well established program with well established ROTATIONS (no one care about the first 2 years) and then get good scores.

I can tell you without a doubt a school named "Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine-Bradenton Florida Campus" is going to raise eyebrows.

I would never suggest a single soul to pass up a chance at a well established medical school...It is the hospital affiliations that really matter.

LECOM-FL has the same hospital affiliations as LECOM-PA, so your comments on that are irrelevant.
Also, who's eyebrows exactly are going to be raised? :laugh:

(nicedream) said:
LECOM-FL has the same hospital affiliations as LECOM-PA, so your comments on that are irrelevant.
Also, who's eyebrows exactly are going to be raised? :laugh:

Definitely KCUMB. Everything except the location is perfect there. LECOM Bradenton is new and you don't want to be the guinea pig

If LECOM-Bradenton has the same hospital affiliations, then why go all the way to florida for 2 years? Then I guess I don't understand the purpose of the school if it doesn't serve the area exclusively.
I think I understand Captain Freedom when he says "eye brows will be raised"...I am in an Allopathic Residency and medical school reputations do go a certain distance when ranking candidates. The more solid the reputation, the more the class ranking etc means. I think the other point that Captain Freedom was stating is this...Lake ERIE COM-Bradenton Campus is kind of ridiculous (like Gulf of Mexico College-DesMoines Iowa Campus)
I think the choice is clear, KCUMB (of course it never helps when you change your name every 10 years).

KCUMB without a doubt. Because its the best DO school........-->Just my biased opinion

Myers82 said:

Hi!
I don't know about LECOM-Bradenton, but I can tell you that I absolutely love KCUMB. The Genesis program is a wonderful way to learn medicine!

Last year I was torn between NSU and UHS (KCUMB). It is difficult to choose between schools; really you are the one who need to make this decision. I will say though, that KCUMB has been wonderful, and I am very fortunate to have picked the right school for me!

Good luck with your decision :) and if you have any questions, just pm me

Freeeedom! said:

First of all, this opinion is posted by someone who refers to themselves as I am a ninja and b/c Capt. Freedom says so. I believe I am correct in saying that KCUMB has rotations in numerous areas of the state/nation as much as LECOM-Bradenton does. We have admitted that they both have cutting-edge, innovative ways of teaching and I would be more than happy to have attended either. People fear what they don't know and if I can learn in an innovative way, tailored to me, that is taught by professors other students want back at their school (see other posts), all while experiencing eustress in central Florida? Then pour my Pina Colada and color me happy :D . As far as board scores go.....Bring it! :cool:

UNDRDG said:
First of all, this opinion is posted by someone who refers to themselves as I am a ninja and b/c Capt. Freedom says so. I believe I am correct in saying that KCUMB has rotations in numerous areas of the state/nation as much as LECOM-Bradenton does. We have admitted that they both have cutting-edge, innovative ways of teaching and I would be more than happy to have attended either. People fear what they don't know and if I can learn in an innovative way, tailored to me, that is taught by professors other students want back at their school (see other posts), all while experiencing eustress in central Florida? Then pour my Pina Colada and color me happy :D . As far as board scores go.....Bring it! :cool:

Just one minor detail - not Central Florida, the Suncoast...

(nicedream) said:
Just one minor detail - not Central Florida, the Suncoast...
:D Well, I didn't want to rub it in TOO much! :cool:

It's really funny that DO's from other schools bash each other... In then end, you will all be DO's, so regardless of which school one chooses, who gives a ****... yes, residency programs looks for people coming from established schools... but what can a great school with great affiliations do if you have have horrible board scores... Board scores talk, not your school...

Is it OK to have some pride in our school???? If a little fun is so offensive to you (and you have nothing to add to the thread) than stay out.

yes thank you for your last comment... thank GOD i am withdrawing all my DO acceptances and going to an MD school... you are the reason why people laugh at DO's...

krazygirlly said:
yes thank you for your last comment... thank GOD i am withdrawing all my DO acceptances and going to an MD school... you are the reason why people laugh at DO's...

Yeah..... And when you give a patient with a stiff neck some Motrin and send him to physical therapy for a month (because you have no idea what a somatic dysfunction is), while a DO fixes it in 30 seconds, there won't be many laughing, except the DO. :D

I don't think anybody who has ever worked with a DO is laughing at them.

krazygirlly said:

That was easy. People on LECOM-B and KCUMB waitlists should thank us. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

krazygirlly said:

You should have never applied to an osteopathic school in the first place. You're not worthy of attending one if you're going to mock even the one that you got accepted to. If you can't see that this thread is not about bashing other schools, but about providing different perspectives on which one has a particular type of program (system-based learning vs. PBL) or other opportunities, then you are very dim-witted to say the least; this thread is comparable to any allopathic "ABC vs. XYZ" thread. Go look back in the Pre-Allo thread - every day there are least 1-2 new polls on "which school should I attend?"

I am not going to give you any spiel about OMM. As thankful as you are about not attending, I am thankful that you will never be a part of this profession. It is people like you that give doctors a bad name. Do you not like my generalizations, or am I free to continue?

Just for your information, no one laughs at DO's - they do laugh at arrogant, know-nothing pre-meds though.

Krazygirl, 1. I know as I help choose residents and it is part of the calculation...just like USNEWS and World Report uses "reputation" as part of their calculation of their best schools
2. if your logic was correct, why aren't there long lines to get into carribbean schools (hell, its warm and sunny)
3. Why are people knocking down the door of Mayo to get into their school...is it just board scores or does their reputation have something to do with it??

You don't go to medical school to do well on the "boards", you go to medical school to LEARN medicine, both academically and clinically. Choosing a solid program that is established with a recognized reputation for creating good students is VERY VERY VALUABLE.
When a residency program looks at candidates, more often than not we will say "we have had a student from school x, they were good" or say "we have never had a problem with school x residents"