KE and PE in SH Motion

Started by drillers
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drillers

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With SHM, a mass attached to the spring (no non conservative forces), total mechanical energy is conserved.

But isn't it correct to say that KE and PE are conserved as well. PE MAX is KE Min and vice versa.

I ask b/c I was reviewing a question asking about the oscillating motion of an atom and the choices for conservation were:

Total Energy, PE, Linear Momentum, and Angular Momentum.

I totally thought that saying total Energy conserved is the same as saying that KE and PE are conserved.

The answer was total energy and NOT PE