Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) School of Pharmacy - Class of 2018

bruin415

Jan 11, 2013
Los Angeles
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    The physical campus was all right - not bad, but nothing amazing either. The main building for pharmacy students is a bit old and seems secluded from the rest of the Claremont Colleges. However, the location of this school is great. Claremont is a clean and safe city with little traffic and......parking is free for students!

Overall, I really liked KGI. The faculty and staff are awesome. They seemed to genuinely care about their students, and the school's mission and values are unlike any other pharmacy school in CA. My only fear about this school is the possibility of it not gaining its accreditation status. However, it's a part of the Claremont Colleges so that definitely gives it credibility, IMO.

Does anybody else have thoughts/opinions about this school?

About the Ads
    Jan 9, 2014
    Campbell University
    1. Pharmacy Student
      I think that KGI has a really unique mission and aspect of pharmacy as a whole, but this school is definitely a risk. I would consider that before turning down other accredited schools for KGI. They are the first school to almost completely redefine their curriculum based on biotechnology...this could easily lead to them also being one of the only schools to have accreditation turned down. I know they are part of a great community of schools, but don't set yourself up for a disaster.

bruin415

Jan 11, 2013
      Los Angeles
      1. Pre-Pharmacy
        I think that KGI has a really unique mission and aspect of pharmacy as a whole, but this school is definitely a risk. I would consider that before turning down other accredited schools for KGI. They are the first school to almost completely redefine their curriculum based on biotechnology...this could easily lead to them also being one of the only schools to have accreditation turned down. I know they are part of a great community of schools, but don't set yourself up for a disaster.

Actually, one of the faculty members told me at my interview that the ACPE really likes how KGI is gearing their curriculum towards biotechnology and they are highly likely to become approved.

MacPharmD

Feb 24, 2014
        1. Pre-Pharmacy
          I received an acceptance e-mail from KGI. I also have an acceptance offer from Touro NY. Thinking on going to KGI because I really liked what I saw but the fact that it's not accredited is making me abit nervous. Any input?

About the Ads

masaka

Aug 23, 2013
          1. Pre-Pharmacy
            I am going to this school, I was accepted at pacific Oregon but I am going to choose KGI, I like their program and I think they are going to focus on us since it is their first year, anyone that is going to this school and wants to rent an apartment together please send me a message.

pharm_man

Mar 6, 2014
              I've been accepted to USC and KGI. Not sure what I'm going to decide yet :(
              I would definitely choose USC. It's well established, has a great reputation, and has excellent faculty. In terms of cost, USC ($46,862 per year) is barely more expensive than KGI ($43500). And with the pharmacy job market starting to become much more saturated and competitive, I think getting a pharmD from a well established school will give you an edge over students graduating from a new school. Definitely worth extra $3000 per year to attend USC.

About the Ads

masaka

Aug 23, 2013
              1. Pre-Pharmacy
                If there is anyone looking for apartment, we are two female students and we are looking for a third roommate, the rent will be From $1,495 a month and we will share the Utility bills. The apartment is 3miles away from Keck Graduate please send me message. Thank you

blueberry24

Jul 27, 2013
                1. Pre-Pharmacy
                  Hello everyone!

I've also been admitted to KGI SoP this week! :D I'm very excited!! But i am a bit worried about the pre- accreditation. The school will let us know by JULY but we do have to think about getting an apartment and get ready for moving there. So I would just have to wait until JULY and prepare for it for a month if it does get accredited? I hear that if they dont get accredited then, they can't accept any students for the fall (duh :( )

I applied late and only applied to 4 schools this cycle. So i pretty much have KGI as my only option. Not sure if i should start pharmcas in JUNE just incase KGI does not get accredited.

What do you guys think!

fjo2108

Mar 4, 2014
                  1. Pre-Pharmacy
                    hello! i have an interview next week fri. can anyone tell me how their interview went? what to expect? and how is the school compared to the other new schools that have opened in cali?

thanks in advance!

whereismyturtle

Jan 11, 2014
                      If anyone is interested in creating or joining a FB group for the incoming class, please PM me. I was going to post a link to the group but learned that I will need FB friends to add beforehand! :)

In response to fjo2108, interviewees signed a contract agreeing to not disclose any information in regards to the interview. I would suggest reviewing KGI's website and the posts found on this thread for further details about the school. Best wishes and good luck!

tsd

Apr 17, 2013
                        I have an interview this Friday. Anyone else flying there? Also, to those who already went, I realize the person above mentioned you had signed an NDA, but can you give any helpful suggestions to best prepare for the interview.

fjo2108

Mar 4, 2014
                        1. Pre-Pharmacy
                          I have an interview this Friday. Anyone else flying there? Also, to those who already went, I realize the person above mentioned you had signed an NDA, but can you give any helpful suggestions to best prepare for the interview.

im kind of getting worried from the email that was sent out...interview + personal statement + group activity + health reasoning test? jeez so much going on !! its so intimidating

where are you flying from? if you dont mind me asking.

MacPharmD

Feb 24, 2014
                          1. Pre-Pharmacy
                            im kind of getting worried from the email that was sent out...interview + personal statement + group activity + health reasoning test? jeez so much going on !! its so intimidating

where are you flying from? if you dont mind me asking.
                            Do not worry, just be yourself and you will be alright. It may sound intimidating but it's really not. The only thing I would advice is you at least have an idea of what you are going to write on your personal statement. The people there are very nice and to top it up, they give you refreshments and lunch. Ask questions and try and answer the questions they ask to the best of your ability.

About the Ads

GodIsGood1225

Jun 25, 2014
                            Los Angeles, California
                            1. Pre-Pharmacy
                              I've been accepted to USC and KGI. Not sure what I'm going to decide yet :(

congrats!!!!! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm prep harm and plan to apply in a year or so :) Also with KGI not being accredited yet, will that effect getting a job or being officially licensed?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! and good luck with ur endeavors :)

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.