Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) School of Pharmacy - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruin415

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I received an offer of admission from the KGI School of Pharmacy. Has anybody else applied, been accepted, or considered going here?

Members don't see this ad.

What did you think about the physical campus? I heard about the school and what they're about. Just wanted to see what you thought about your experience?

The physical campus was all right - not bad, but nothing amazing either. The main building for pharmacy students is a bit old and seems secluded from the rest of the Claremont Colleges. However, the location of this school is great. Claremont is a clean and safe city with little traffic and......parking is free for students!

Overall, I really liked KGI. The faculty and staff are awesome. They seemed to genuinely care about their students, and the school's mission and values are unlike any other pharmacy school in CA. My only fear about this school is the possibility of it not gaining its accreditation status. However, it's a part of the Claremont Colleges so that definitely gives it credibility, IMO.

Does anybody else have thoughts/opinions about this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody!

I received an offer of admission from the KGI School of Pharmacy. Has anybody else applied, been accepted, or considered going here?
hey, How was the interview? I want to apply here too?

I think that KGI has a really unique mission and aspect of pharmacy as a whole, but this school is definitely a risk. I would consider that before turning down other accredited schools for KGI. They are the first school to almost completely redefine their curriculum based on biotechnology...this could easily lead to them also being one of the only schools to have accreditation turned down. I know they are part of a great community of schools, but don't set yourself up for a disaster.

Great, I am glad you are taking that into consideration! It sounds like you have options, which is more than most can ask for. I'm sure it will work out in your favor.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted to USC and KGI. Not sure what I'm going to decide yet :(

I think that KGI has a really unique mission and aspect of pharmacy as a whole, but this school is definitely a risk. I would consider that before turning down other accredited schools for KGI. They are the first school to almost completely redefine their curriculum based on biotechnology...this could easily lead to them also being one of the only schools to have accreditation turned down. I know they are part of a great community of schools, but don't set yourself up for a disaster.

Actually, one of the faculty members told me at my interview that the ACPE really likes how KGI is gearing their curriculum towards biotechnology and they are highly likely to become approved.

I received an acceptance e-mail from KGI. I also have an acceptance offer from Touro NY. Thinking on going to KGI because I really liked what I saw but the fact that it's not accredited is making me abit nervous. Any input?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to this school, I was accepted at pacific Oregon but I am going to choose KGI, I like their program and I think they are going to focus on us since it is their first year, anyone that is going to this school and wants to rent an apartment together please send me a message.

I would definitely choose USC. It's well established, has a great reputation, and has excellent faculty. In terms of cost, USC ($46,862 per year) is barely more expensive than KGI ($43500). And with the pharmacy job market starting to become much more saturated and competitive, I think getting a pharmD from a well established school will give you an edge over students graduating from a new school. Definitely worth extra $3000 per year to attend USC.

Hey SDN!

Going for an interview at Keck this Friday, yayy. Is anyone else here going? I'm excited to be coming to sunny Cali, from cold Maryland! Lol

I was accepted in my #1 choice so I am bailing out of KGI. Good luck to you all.
Chao.

I received an offer of admission to KGI School of Pharmacy today. If anyone here is also planning on attending this school and needs someone to share an apartment, please send me a message.

If there is anyone looking for apartment, we are two female students and we are looking for a third roommate, the rent will be From $1,495 a month and we will share the Utility bills. The apartment is 3miles away from Keck Graduate please send me message. Thank you

Hello everyone!

I've also been admitted to KGI SoP this week! :D I'm very excited!! But i am a bit worried about the pre- accreditation. The school will let us know by JULY but we do have to think about getting an apartment and get ready for moving there. So I would just have to wait until JULY and prepare for it for a month if it does get accredited? I hear that if they dont get accredited then, they can't accept any students for the fall (duh :( )

I applied late and only applied to 4 schools this cycle. So i pretty much have KGI as my only option. Not sure if i should start pharmcas in JUNE just incase KGI does not get accredited.

What do you guys think!

hello! i have an interview next week fri. can anyone tell me how their interview went? what to expect? and how is the school compared to the other new schools that have opened in cali?

thanks in advance!

If anyone is interested in creating or joining a FB group for the incoming class, please PM me. I was going to post a link to the group but learned that I will need FB friends to add beforehand! :)

In response to fjo2108, interviewees signed a contract agreeing to not disclose any information in regards to the interview. I would suggest reviewing KGI's website and the posts found on this thread for further details about the school. Best wishes and good luck!

I have an interview this Friday. Anyone else flying there? Also, to those who already went, I realize the person above mentioned you had signed an NDA, but can you give any helpful suggestions to best prepare for the interview.

I have an interview this Friday. Anyone else flying there? Also, to those who already went, I realize the person above mentioned you had signed an NDA, but can you give any helpful suggestions to best prepare for the interview.

im kind of getting worried from the email that was sent out...interview + personal statement + group activity + health reasoning test? jeez so much going on !! its so intimidating

where are you flying from? if you dont mind me asking.

im kind of getting worried from the email that was sent out...interview + personal statement + group activity + health reasoning test? jeez so much going on !! its so intimidating

where are you flying from? if you dont mind me asking.
Do not worry, just be yourself and you will be alright. It may sound intimidating but it's really not. The only thing I would advice is you at least have an idea of what you are going to write on your personal statement. The people there are very nice and to top it up, they give you refreshments and lunch. Ask questions and try and answer the questions they ask to the best of your ability.

Well I just got my acceptance e-mail today!! After meeting with the faculty at KGI, I am really excited about this program. Anyone looking for a roommate?

My interview is tomorrow! Is anyone interviewing tomorrow as well? :)

Well I just got my acceptance e-mail today!! After meeting with the faculty at KGI, I am really excited about this program. Anyone looking for a roommate?

How long did it take for KGI to send the acceptance email to you?

Anyone from the last interview date (May 9th) get in?

Yes, the FB group is called KGI School of Pharmacy - Class of 2018.

If anyone is looking for a female roommate please let me know. I am currently looking for a place to live. :)

congrats!!!!! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm prep harm and plan to apply in a year or so :) Also with KGI not being accredited yet, will that effect getting a job or being officially licensed?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! and good luck with ur endeavors :)