Keeler or Heine BIO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fm267

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which BIO brand should I go with Keeler or Heine? I got the keeler diagnostic kit and I’m so far happy with it. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally love my Heine BIO. It feels less bulky than the Keeler

Reactions: 1 user
I personally love my Heine BIO. It feels less bulky than the Keeler

Which brand of lens kit is considered better -- S&L or Pioneer? S&L has markings on both sides of the lens, which Pioneer claims is not as accurate of a lens as just having markings on one side. Any thoughts on that, or the companies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the cheaper one of the two. I bought Keeler and the main campus of my residency program I am at uses Keeler , the other I am at uses Heine. I have barely touched my personal BIO in over a year. Boards uses Keeler.

NBEO changes back and forth between Heine and Keeler. If you are making a decision based on boards, I'd recommend looking into how often they make this change and if it will affect your year.

I chose Heine simply because it accommodated my ponytail better. It was that simple of a reason. Whichever is more comfortable to you, choose it. The price was the same for me when I factored in the "previous Keeler customer discount" and "brand new Heine customer discount."

In practice, I find using a fundus lens at the SLE and having the patient look in peripheral gazes, to give the best view. Although the BIO is advertised as providing the best peripheral retinal views, there are things I absolutely have not been able to see using a BIO that I am able to see using a fundus lens at the SL (e.g. retinoschisis) because they were too far into the periphery. Literally me finding something using the fundus lens, putting on the BIO to try to see the same thing but not seeing it, going back to the SL and seeing it again, then going back to the BIO and not being able to see it at all because I can't see far enough out.

Geometric optically, this makes sense. The BIO uses a 20D lens whereas a fundus lens is 90D. The prismatic effect of 90D >>>> 20D, so you will be able to see far further into the periphery with a 90D lens than you would with a 20D lens. With much better magnification. Give this fact to your clinical instructors and see what they say. It's a myth that BIO is better for seeing the (far) periphery than a fundus lens as long as the fundus lens is used properly.

used both, but have keeler from OD school. Love it.