DHG

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Northwest. Waaaaaay northwest.
Status
Pharmacist
Well I got an invite (to my surprise) for UK school of Pharmacy. I was a little...um... weirded out by the interview invitation. It was almost militant in tone. Anyone else get an invite for UK and think the interview invitation letter was a little strange? :confused:

Well, anyhow... My question is this: Is it worth going since I am an out of state student and they only accept generally less than 10% (out of about 100 total students) from out of state? I think I'm a strong candidate, but I don't have pharmacy experience. Can any UK students weigh in here and tell me your feelings about this? What are the stats like for your out-of-staters? UK was sort of the school that I really, really wanted to go to, but I didn't think I had a chance due to how few they accept from out of state.

So should I spend the money and just do it? I'm scared! :scared: I already had an interview at Mercer and should hear someting from them this month... I have a UT Memphis interview also this month. I applied to 3 other schools that I haven't heard anything from yet. I'm really torn here... I want to go, but dang! I don't want to waste the time, energy, or money if it's futile, ya know?

oink2655

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
i say you should go to the interview. you don't want to go thru life wondering what if. money may be an issue now but it will all be worth it once you get into pharmacy school so i think it is a good investment. g' luck with your interviews!

calrx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you decline the interview, you're basically saying you don't care about getting accepted to UK... and if thats the case, why did you bother applying there to begin with? Are you sure UK is your #1 school?? I know that if I got invited for an interview at a school that I really really wanted to go to theres not a chance in hell I'd miss the interview. Suck it up and go! You never know, you might very well be part of the 10% of out-of-staters that get accepted. I think you'll have some serious regrets if you don't go.

OP
D

DHG

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Northwest. Waaaaaay northwest.
Status
Pharmacist
Thanks, guys. I don't know what's wrong with me... I'm gonna go. I just never expected an interview from UK! I think it's just nerves making me crazy ... :laugh:

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Congrats on your interview! Good luck and I hear ya on the money issue!

vafcarrot

the peon
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Kentucky
Status
heya... I'm a first year at UK. There's 130 kids in the incoming class... so that's 13 out of state folks. The people in my class that I know for a fact that are out of state are two folks from West Virginia and one from Tennessee. Just the fact that you got an interview for UK is a big thing when you're out of state. Good luck on your interview!

I don't really know that stats of the out of staters... they seem pretty smart. Although most people in pharmacy school seem pretty smart.