Keyhole Crack DAT PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why for the first attachment, the answer is not B? (Instead it is E)
:)

Also, for the second attachment, why is the answer is A and not C? Why is C wrong? The only difference I see is the grey rectangle near the bottom of the opening.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Untitled5.png
    Untitled5.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 81
First attachment: it has to pass through the keyhole cleanly, i.e., without extra unnecessary space. There is a C-shape to that triangular piece, the keyhole shouldn't be a completely open triangle, if that makes sense.

The second one has the same issue. The keyhole in C has extra open space (there is an open rectangle in the piece, so the keyhole should have corresponding solid space there).

Last edited:
Could you also please help me with the following two?
Why is D the wrong answer for the first attachment?
And for the second, I feel that the up and down portion of the keyhole is too short. In other words, the legs of the shape seem to be of the same length, but this is not the case for the keyhole.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can see, in the first one D is wrong because the shape is more rectangular than square, so the dimensions of the keyhole in D are wrong.

The second one is pretty tricky in my opinion, they mess with perspective a bit to throw you off.

For the first one, for the top/bottom view, the overall shape looks more rectangular than square-ish as answer D suggests.

For the second one, I would probably pick B just by eliminating everything else:

I also thought the up/down portion seemed a bit short to me, but not by much. I could be wrong, but the explanations looks a bit off compared with the answer.

Last edited:
agreed, that side does look a tad bit shorter from the explanation
on CDP you can eliminate the choices if some questions are like this, but this isn't an issue when taking the real dat imo

Thank you so much guys! :p I'm just starting to study for the DATS and it's a bit intimidating!