SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

keyhole pat

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by 997GT3, Mar 25, 2007.

1. 997GT3

997GT3 There is no substitute. 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2006
    do you guys draw the keyholes or just get used to looking at them from all sides within the time limit? to those who reply, please tell me how well you did.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Loop

Loop 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Ive gotten rather adept at the keyhole section. For me at least, I dont draw them. It would take so much time to draw the possible keyholes and the difference between the answers is generally so slight that even if you draw it, you would still waste a lot of time pondering 3 similar keyholes and deciding on the right one.

Elimination works best for me. Its much faster(once again, for me). I never finish the PAT with more than a minute or two remaining so anything to speed things up is important.

4. 997GT3

997GT3 There is no substitute. 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2006
    so by elimination, have u ever gotten all correct?

5. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent 7+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2003
    New Jersey
    so drawing is a waste of time?

6. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Consider each answer by trying to fit it into the hole.

...I avg 2 wrong in keyholes.)

7. Awuah29

Oct 13, 2003
    New Jersey
    is it not waste of time to fit each into a hole considering that you wanna spend at least 10 min:eek: what about looking at differences between the figures and the process of elimination.

8. Awuah29

Oct 13, 2003
    New Jersey
    streetwolf what do you think?

9. Loop

Loop 2+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2007
    i try to rush myself through the keyholes since Ive gotten good at them because the flattened 3d figures really just drain so much of my time. So, while working very quickly through the problems I still usually only miss 1 or 2 which is more than acceptable to me. The ones I usually miss are when there are 5 nearly identical apertures and the difference between each of them is like a nanometer per line. No point spending a long time on a problem you probably arent going to get right anyhow. For me at least the cube counting and flattened 3d shape problems take a lot of time, but if I spend long enough on them, I get them right. Some of those apertures though you can seriously stare at all day long and still miss it.

10. Awuah29

Oct 13, 2003
    New Jersey
    I am always tempted to to spend too much time on a apeture that I can figure out. Now I know not to do that and just move on and guess and come back later. I have to stop this habit ..:mad:

11. Lurchdubious

Lurchdubious the Homeless Ninja 7+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2007
    VA
    i never drew any of the keyholes out. just used process of elimination. i got a 20 on the PAT, but most of what i missed had to be in the angles portion. the actual dat was much harder w/the angles than any practice test i took.