keyhole problem to solve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesdeluxe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DSC03223.jpg

anyone know what the correct answer is on this one and why? The answer given doesn't seem right at all

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's E.

flip it so the bottom block is facing you....
none of the other answers make sense

Members don't see this ad :)
bluesdeluxe said:
DSC03223.jpg

anyone know what the correct answer is on this one and why? The answer given doesn't seem right at all

For Keyhole, Elimination of wrong answers is vital.

Not A, Obvious,
Not B, Notice that the Upper Left corner of bottom block is more towards center of side of top block on the actual image: on B, the corner is far to the right which does not represent the actual image make sense?
Not C, Obvious
Not D, Obvious, cannot get that hole from the object
Answer E: end view up side down. Look at it from the side, then flip it. Make sense?
I think the tricky one is understanding why B is wrong. Hope that helps. BTW I am not sure about my answer, it is just my 2 cents. So please correct me if i'm wrong.

Yep u guys r right its E....others make no sense....man i really need to do more practice.....sorry OP.....i really feel stupid now.

solutions.jpg

Okay the answer is E BUT here's a drawing I made in photoshop of what I think the actual keyholes would look like.

To me A and C are obviously not right

B is close but the tips are too close together. I tried to draw my keyhole more accurately to show what the answer should be if it were given

D was my initial guess but it looks like the top slab should be slightly longer and show a little bit sticking out on each side (as I have drawn above in the two similar keyholes).

E is the right answer but when I look at it on the drawing it looks way out of proportion. These things are supposed to be to scale I think and to me the blocks of E look way too thick and/or not wide enough. Again I drew my keyhole above (far right) to what I think it should look like.

I usually ace the PAT section but I'm retaking the test here soon and just couldn't image E being correct. However, the only way I can really get E is to eliminate all the other answers but geez I hope they aren't like this on the real test

how the #$# is it E guys? I dont see how you can get a T shape with that.

I see hwo it could be D. Thing of the rear projection. The corners would be the outside of the rectangle and the right corners apear to be end at the same distance so it could be a rectangle, no?

JohnDoeDDS said:
how the #$# is it E guys? I dont see how you can get a T shape with that.

I see hwo it could be D. Thing of the rear projection. The corners would be the outside of the rectangle and the right corners apear to be end at the same distance so it could be a rectangle, no?

The E drawing looks off to me from a proportions perspective.

I think it could be D if it were viewed down the longest side and then tilted back a bit but I don't think you can tilt these projections....they must be straight front, side and top....

such a coincidence that i was looking at this question today and answered B but it turned out to be E, even though I still can't visualize it. :mad: :oops: :scared:

I know. I m just saying that I dont see what view the fourth drawing is. Cant wseem to visualize this damn thing. Guess I need more practice.

I got this same f***ing question wrong. Answer E is WAY out of proportion!

For you people having trouble, imagine it like a poorly made sandwich.

Imagine holding a sandwich out in front of you, positioned like you're about to take a bite. But then imagine that whoever made the sandwich did a piss poor job, and the top slice of bread is rotated 45 degrees, like a diamond on top of a square.

That should make it a little clearer, but remeber the answer given in kaplan is in poor proportion.

exp2.jpg
JohnDoeDDS said:
I know. I m just saying that I dont see what view the fourth drawing is. Cant wseem to visualize this damn thing. Guess I need more practice.

that should help you visualize it....but it looks so wrong on the actual copy. In fact I missed it to B

damn im gonna fail. Guys isnt the bottom rectangle extended passed the top one? How is itt that in the answer choice it is within its boundaries??? Oh man.

JohnDoeDDS said:
damn im gonna fail. Guys isnt the bottom rectangle extended passed the top one? How is itt that in the answer choice it is within its boundaries??? Oh man.

Take two DVD boxes and make the figure. Imagine you are looking at the bottom block straight on from the smaller width. The corners from the top block will extend beyond the width of the bottom block.