1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

KF Financial disability insurance?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by k's mom, Mar 14, 2007.

1. k's mom

k's mom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, do any of you have private disability insurance? Know anything about KF Financial? We are at a loss for what to do because I want some questions answered, but I refuse to contact any of the companies (and thus, get hounded by sales people) until I have a good idea of the reputable companies.

Any ideas?

2. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have Mass Mutual - good company with true own occupation and escalating benefit. I've never heard of KF financial but I have heard of KFC. They do chicken right.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Finally M3

Finally M3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We had a financial planner come in and yap with us; he recommended a couple; Met Life (I think) and Guardian (mine). Unfortunately, he said that while Guardian was the best (esp if you have any premorbid conditions), it was also the most expensive.

And seeing as the only morbidity I have is being slightly fat...:mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    k's mom

k's mom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks! This is really helpful. Do you mind if I ask what kind of rates we are talking about? People keep saying it is "really expensive" but when I told my mother that we spend $30.00/mo on life insurance she said that was really expensive. :rolleyes:

5. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I pay $240 per month for 66% guaranteed monthy benefit. This is the resident rate, which I locked in. Typically, a "good" policy will cost $3000 to $4000 per year, depending on benefit.

6. OP
    OP
    k's mom

k's mom Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, that is actually about what I thought it would be. I assume that this is an own occ policy, correct? Any idea how the rates differ once in practice?