KGI School of Pharmacy - Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current P2 at KGI SoP here. Just wanted to give a big hello from the other side. :soexcited:Congratulations to all those who have been admitted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. Has anyone heard back from the January 29th interview date?

Anyone hear from KGI lately regarding the Student Ambassadors? I completed both the drug test and background check but I haven't heard from them lately aside from the financial aid stuff.
I recent got an email about setting up student email for KGI and the financial aid stuff. Oh and got an email from one of the student ambassadors like a month ago but that's all for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay i got accepted too along with USC, and UOP ! Just visited USC today just to make sure of my choice and i officially am! Can't wait to start at KGI in the fall. Sent my 1000$ deposit, did background check and now I'm waiting for the drug test. Does the school call me to do it or do I just go and do it myself? You just go and pee in a cup right? They won't take a chunk out of my hair right?.....that's actually happened to a friend before haha

yay i got accepted too along with USC, and UOP ! Just visited USC today just to make sure of my choice and i officially am! Can't wait to start at KGI in the fall. Sent my 1000$ deposit, did background check and now I'm waiting for the drug test. Does the school call me to do it or do I just go and do it myself? You just go and pee in a cup right? They won't take a chunk out of my hair right?.....that's actually happened to a friend before haha
So you're choosing KGI over USC? May I ask what made you decide KGI? I'm aware of the unique programs offered at KGI, however, I am a bit concerned about the accreditation status of KGI as well as the rotation opportunities since it is a new school. I'm just torn between KGI vs. USC. Just trying to weigh in all the factors before I make the final decision. Thanks in advance for your input.

As for the drug test, you should've gotten an email from Certiphi to print out an authorization form to take to LABCORP (if you paid for the drug screening along with background check). Just take the form with you to LabCorp.

So you're choosing KGI over USC? May I ask what made you decide KGI? I'm aware of the unique programs offered at KGI, however, I am a bit concerned about the accreditation status of KGI as well as the rotation opportunities since it is a new school. I'm just torn between KGI vs. USC. Just trying to weigh in all the factors before I make the final decision. Thanks in advance for your input.

As a current student at KGI SoP (P2), I can shed a little light onto your concerns.

As far as accreditation status, KGI SoP is currently at candidate status. To clarify, the only difference between an accredited school and a school with candidate status is the fact that the accredited school has a graduated class - all other privileges and capacities of each graduate are the same (i.e. board exams, licensing, etc.). The candidate status can be lost if KGI SoP doesn't follow through with its projected curriculum and that is to be determined by the accrediting board. I have full confidence in our founders and faculties as they are all come from dynamic and established backgrounds.

Rotations. Let's go over rotations. KGI SoP takes pride in its networks and connections to not only hospital or retail pharmacies but also the pharmaceutical industry side. Starting your first year, you will have a pharmacy industry shadowing experience either toward the end of winter break or end of spring. This experience is not to be confused with a rotation site - you really are there to follow and learn the insides and outs of a pharmaceutical company. So your first rotation will actually begin near the start of your second year (mid august). This rotation will place you into the community setting (retail) and will span the first semester of your P2 year. Your P2 spring semester rotation will transition you over to senior citizen care (actual topic: Patient Communication in Senior Chronic Care). Your next set of rotations will be determined by what concentration certificate program you choose and will span most of the summer after your second year. That's as far as I can say at this point. The whole curriculum is outlined on the KGI SoP website though (click here).

I hope that helps or clarifies some things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
As a current student at KGI SoP (P2), I can shed a little light onto your concerns.

As far as accreditation status, KGI SoP is currently at candidate status. To clarify, the only difference between an accredited school and a school with candidate status is the fact that the accredited school has a graduated class - all other privileges and capacities of each graduate are the same (i.e. board exams, licensing, etc.). The candidate status can be lost if KGI SoP doesn't follow through with its projected curriculum and that is to be determined by the accrediting board. I have full confidence in our founders and faculties as they are all come from dynamic and established backgrounds.

Rotations. Let's go over rotations. KGI SoP takes pride in its networks and connections to not only hospital or retail pharmacies but also the pharmaceutical industry side. Starting your first year, you will have a pharmacy industry shadowing experience either toward the end of winter break or end of spring. This experience is not to be confused with a rotation site - you really are there to follow and learn the insides and outs of a pharmaceutical company. So your first rotation will actually begin near the start of your second year (mid august). This rotation will place you into the community setting (retail) and will span the first semester of your P2 year. Your spring semester rotation will transition you over to senior citizen care (actual topic: Patient Communication in Senior Chronic Care). Your next set of rotations will be determined by what concentration certificate program you choose and will span most of the summer after your second year. That's as far as I can say at this point. The whole curriculum is outlined on the KGI SoP website though (click here)

I hope that helps or clarifies some things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I do have my utmost faith in KGI, therefore, this will be one of the toughest decisions! Another concern is the commute time for me... For KGI, I'm looking at 80 miles (one way trip) vs. USC with 17 miles... Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your response to answer some of my concerns. Thank you!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I do have my utmost faith in KGI, therefore, this will be one of the toughest decisions! Another concern is the commute time for me... For KGI, I'm looking at 80 miles (one way trip) vs. USC with 17 miles... Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your response to answer some of my concerns. Thank you!!!

Yes, you have quite the decision to make!!! Distance is a huge factor and I suppose the accreditation process is always a risk but...I will say though, KGI SoP's passion and focus on team-based learning is definitely something no other school has. It's an aspect of KGI SoP that I find truly invaluable especially in combination with "flip-the-class" style learning. To elaborate, KGI SoP's curriculum has the students doing preparatory work (mainly watching podcasts/videos) before coming into class and coming into class to reinforce and fortify concepts through team-based learning (we actually sit in group settings as opposed to lecture style). Of course, not every part of each class is team-based or flip-the-class style but majority of it is. In addition to this, the professors really work together with the students to create a learning environment that is both optimal and personal (most of the professors know the names of all 70 of us!). This is something you won't find at a SoP that has a large student size (class size of, say, 150+). So with all of these aspects combined, I can also confidently say that this style of learning has contributed to a lot of my academic and extracurricular success.

Yes, you have quite the decision to make!!! Distance is a huge factor and I suppose the accreditation process is always a risk but...I will say though, KGI SoP's passion and focus on team-based learning is definitely something no other school has. It's an aspect of KGI SoP that I find truly invaluable especially in combination with "flip-the-class" style learning. To elaborate, KGI SoP's curriculum has the students doing preparatory work (mainly watching podcasts/videos) before coming into class and coming into class to reinforce and fortify concepts through team-based learning (we actually sit in group settings as opposed to lecture style). Of course, not every part of each class is team-based or flip-the-class style but majority of it is. In addition to this, the professors really work together with the students to create a learning environment that is both optimal and personal (most of the professors know the names of all 70 of us!). This is something you won't find at a SoP that has a large student size (class size of, say, 150+). So with all of these aspects combined, I can also confidently say that this style of learning has contributed to a lot of my academic and extracurricular success.
I totally agree with you on all of the KGI's curriculum, class size, team-based learning, and etc. Hence, the biggest dilemma!!! Thanks again for all your time and input!! Much much appreciated!

Has anyone heard back from the 3/18 interview yet?

Hi! So I'm currently struggling with what to do. I decided to apply late to pharmacy school and only made the March 1 deadline of CA school.. I've been accepted into KGI and West Coast and have interviews for Northstate and CHSU but I'm feeling like maybe I should wait and apply next year and make the Nov 1 deadline for the fully accredited schools with better alumni connections and such..

I am leaning towards KGI and I do like West Coast (location wise bc LA, also it has nicer facilities but I don't know how relevant that is to the quality of the education). Current students, How do you feel about KGI? Do you feel like you're receiving quality education? Do you feel like they are preparing you well to work in the field of Pharmacy after graduation? How are the professors? Does the teaching facility bother you? How effective is the "flip the class" style of teaching ?

TacoBelle: I'm not a current student (incoming KGI Class of 2020) but I'd like to comment since I was also accepted into KGI and West Coast. At the West Coast interview, I inquired about existing rotation sites and what rotation opportunities were available. They couldn't answer that definitively and gave me a run-around answer, which was a big red flag to me. On the other hand with KGI, they were open with what rotation sites were available and seem to be well entrenched in the community. Also, accreditation is a moot point. KGI has candidate status which affords KGI graduates the same rights and privileges as graduates from a fully accredited school. The only reason KGI is not fully accredited is because they do not have a graduating class yet. I don't think that's a good reason to waste a year. Just my 2 cents. Goodluck with whatever path you choose!

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone going to the Meet n Greet tomorrow? Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there!

Has anyone heard back from the 3/18 interview yet?

I interviewed on 3/18 and submitted my supplemental application the morning of 3/25. I received an acceptance e-mail Monday 3/28 afternoon.

TacoBelle: I'm not a current student (incoming KGI Class of 2020) but I'd like to comment since I was also accepted into KGI and West Coast. At the West Coast interview, I inquired about existing rotation sites and what rotation opportunities were available. They couldn't answer that definitively and gave me a run-around answer, which was a big red flag to me. On the other hand with KGI, they were open with what rotation sites were available and seem to be well entrenched in the community. Also, accreditation is a moot point. KGI has candidate status which affords KGI graduates the same rights and privileges as graduates from a fully accredited school. The only reason KGI is not fully accredited is because they do not have a graduating class yet. I don't think that's a good reason to waste a year. Just my 2 cents. Goodluck with whatever path you choose!

Thank you! I agree. I had a very pleasant experience interviewing with KGI and I feel that their style of teaching fits with my style of learning. I'm going to go for it!

I also noticed the same issue regarding rotation sites at West Coast. It also seemed like they were trying to rush us out after the tour.

Can't wait to start and see you in the Fall :)

Hi, what hospitals are currently a part of the rotation network?

Hi i am planning to attend KGI pharmavy school for fall 2019. How is the rotation at KGI? I have heard rotations are very important, so does KGI have good rotations?

Hey Everyone,

I am a current student at KGI School of Pharmacy in my P1 year. Last year when I was applying, I really relied on SDN threads to give me an idea of the pharmacy school as well as being able to connect with fellow applicants and current students attending this program. Let me know if you have any questions, or questions for your fellow applicants. This forum can really help you get a better idea of whats to come and about the school.
Hey, I am thinking about applying KGI for Fall 2019. it just got accredited, so that is the relief. But how is the school and education. I also have questions about scholarships and rotations. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.