Khan Academy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crosspoint

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i noticed that these are great videos for physics chem and bio...does anybody know of any good sites for OCHEM....i have to take this mcat June 17...and I just want to clarify a couple of things in orgo...

Members don't see this ad.

www.Wikipremed.com if you want videos.

I also like http://mcat-review.org

ETA: I really like wikipremed, but I was running low on time when I was finally reviewing O-chem and mostly studied the outlines on mcat-review. I also made flashcards from this website... http://www.goldstandard-mcat.com/organic-chemistry-mechanisms/ That helped me a lot.

I started checking out mcat review.org on GC's recommendation. It is very good if you know your stuff.

Part of the problem with MCAT prep with companies like BR or TPR is they like to cover a lot, and rightfully so. The more background info the stronger you are conceptually.

But as a student, you eventually say "Yes, I understand this all but what do I need to know, what is the bare bones I have to commit to memory?" Mcat-Review.org is good for this.

KhanAcademy is very good at simplifying complex concepts to a "makes-sense"-level. I starting using it occasionally 6 months ago, but use it more now for prep. Often in courses we understand how to apply a formula or solve a problem, but we don't really have solid intuition on WHY things are how they are. Khan tells you the why, and quickly too.

I started checking out mcat review.org on GC's recommendation. It is very good if you know your stuff.

Part of the problem with MCAT prep with companies like BR or TPR is they like to cover a lot, and rightfully so. The more background info the stronger you are conceptually.

But as a student, you eventually say "Yes, I understand this all but what do I need to know, what is the bare bones I have to commit to memory?" Mcat-Review.org is good for this.
Yes. I spent too much time on content review and I was getting crunched for time. I found MCAT-review.org and it was a lifesaver for me.

KhanAcademy is very good at simplifying complex concepts to a "makes-sense"-level. I starting using it occasionally 6 months ago, but use it more now for prep. Often in courses we understand how to apply a formula or solve a problem, but we don't really have solid intuition on WHY things are how they are. Khan tells you the why, and quickly too.
Yes he does. He really cuts to the chase.

I started with physics and gen chem, and for those I went to Wikipremed, who is great. But I took too long, and needed to hurry it up and do my general bio and O-chem review. I did some more physics and chem at Khan (E&M and some acid/base/solubility) in stuff I felt weak in. I did almost all of my bio review at Khan. Then I went to MCAT-review for the stuff I NEEDED to know for O-chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we are talking about the MCAT, but I just checked out http://www.khanacademy.org/ and I am really amazed: "The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit organization with the mission of providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere."

The way people get educated seems to be changing dramatically. We will not be needing to drive to universities to take courses in the future. Everyone can get as good of an education as provided by some of the best professors in the best universities. Thanks for all the links.

Yes. I spent too much time on content review and I was getting crunched for time. I found MCAT-review.org and it was a lifesaver for me.

I started with physics and gen chem, and for those I went to Wikipremed, who is great. But I took too long, and needed to hurry it up and do my general bio and O-chem review. I did some more physics and chem at Khan (E&M and some acid/base/solubility) in stuff I felt weak in. I did almost all of my bio review at Khan. Then I went to MCAT-review for the stuff I NEEDED to know for O-chem.

for the Khan Academy do you go to youtube.com or to the Khan Academy website

Can you post the link if you don't mind

Thanks

Khan academy is an awesome resource. I discovered him a few months ago. He is by far the best resource for understanding the why of stuff!

mcat-review.org I found a couple months ago and have reviewed all content from there. The site doesn't seem to have much traffic. Maybe it will after more SDNers see this thread.

I also stumbled upon this website http://www.coursesaver.com/index.php just yesterday and I saw some of his example videos. They seem pretty good as his focus is MCAT & DAT. However you have to pay a small fee to have access to all videos. And he does cover Ochem.

If I would have known about all these resources earlier, I wouldn't have taken a prep course. Oh well, must continue studying!

Am I the only one here who found the Kahn videos a bit too slow? They are good presentations, but I don't think I could sit through more than one per day. Maybe it's because I prefer books, but I didn't think they were much different than any other youtube post. Nice he's doing it for free, but I think it wouldn't be time efficient for reviewing.

wow. kahnacademy and mcat-review seem to equal or even be better than some prep course content reviews out there

Members don't see this ad :)
wow. kahnacademy and mcat-review seem to equal or even be better than some prep course content reviews out there

They are very good in some ways. BR passages are best practice though, and TPR passages.

But for content review, I'd agree that it doesn't matter much what you use (prep company or online free stuff).

They are very good in some ways. BR passages are best practice though, and TPR passages.

But for content review, I'd agree that it doesn't matter much what you use (prep company or online free stuff).

mcat-review is a solid site, but its more like EK, very condensed for you to iron out some minor details. But it does go nicely with the AAMC outline, and save you a lot of time to look up each individual thing. I really love this site..

So i noticed that these are great videos for physics chem and bio...does anybody know of any good sites for OCHEM....i have to take this mcat June 17...and I just want to clarify a couple of things in orgo...
Coursesaver.com is a good site that has MCAT orgo,chem and physics videos, but you have to pay for a subscription of $20 per month.

Agreed. this site is awesome. who made this site??

for the Khan Academy do you go to youtube.com or to the Khan Academy website

Can you post the link if you don't mind

Thanks

You can go to either, but they are all arranged in order on the actual website. If you were to watch the vids at Khan academy, then click on the video itself, it'll open up a new window on Youtube, at least that's what it did for me.

www.khanacademy.org

http://www.khanacademy.org/

he is the man, i used his videos alot when I was prepping for the mcats. His Kidney video was particularly helpful in helping me understand what I thought was the hardest part of my bio review.:thumbup:
I thought this thread deserved a bump, I hit the kidney section in TPR :scared:and couldn't process the nephron details at all, after watching this video it all makes sense

I love Coursaver. My university's physics department is a joke, so Chad's videos just saved my life. After just the first "day" of videos (5 of them) it fixed stupid problems with my foundation that my Kaplan instructor couldn't explain in a way I understood. And I went up 2 points in PS coz of it!!!! :D

Besides, if you're willing to spend 2k on a prep course or 300+ on books, then $20 a month for any-time-you-need-it review on both chems and physics is worth it. :)

Seriously, I've had the dumbest issues with pulley & incline problems, and I finally get it. I want to send the CS guys a box of candy.

Yeah. I gotta agree.
I signed up for the two-months membership (around $35).
Have to say it's money well spent

haha i bought organic chem as second language for orgo class, but i never used it -.---
What do you mean by organic chem as a second language? Do you mean Ochem book for people whose English are not their first language?

What do you mean by organic chem as a second language? Do you mean Ochem book for people whose English are not their first language?

are you kidding?

and this khan guy is not bad on some concepts, nice talking voice too ^^