Kinda don't know where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigirose21

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have completed two years of college so far, but I was studying computer information systems. My life long dream has been to become a doctor, and I have many shadowing and volunteering hours that date back all the way to high school (three years ago. I recently started again) however, i started doubting myself and in my ability to become a doctor so I never even started pursuing it. I have investigated other fields that I thought I'd be interested in, but I hated every single one and after becoming a medical scribe thes epst few months, I can't see myself working in any other field. I know I'd beat myself up if I never even try.

I took a break from school this year because Im responsible for my own tuition and couldn't continue to afford it and have been saving up to go back to school next year. I was wondering if I should just finish my degree in computer informatics and then do a post bac program or just get into pre med now? I did horrible one semester since I was dealing with great hardship that was detrimental to my health and focus. so should I also retake those courses too? (Failed three classes, withdrawal was rejected since they received my paperwork from my caseworker late)

I'm also a TX resident if that means anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I've done my research and have gotten ahead of myself and now I'm just stuck on the NEXT step any help is appreciated!!!

My advice is to get a degree, however try to take as many science courses that will go towards qualifications to take the MCAT and get into medical school as you can. That way if you have to go back to school to finish those requirements there won't be as many. But if your lifelong goal has to be to become a doctor then maybe you should focus on the classes you need in order to get into med school. Moving forward from here if you decide to take science classes you have to really do well in order for admissions committees to see a juxtaposition from your previous low scores to how you made a substantive change and have much better scores, indicating that you are a qualified candidate for medical school. Good luck, with determination and focus you'll achieve your goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need more information. cGPA? sGPA? What pre-reqs have you taken? How many undergrad credits do you have?

I have 60 semester hours at a 2.5 (messed up hard last semester) and my sGPA is about a 3.3 ( I didn't take any science courses that last semester) I have only taken the first Chem and I had a 4.0 in it

From my experience I will tell you that if you don't have the numbers, nobody cares why you want to become a doctor. And by nobody I mean those people who are in a position to give you the opportunity. If you want to become a doctor, become a good student first, then an expert-test taker, and then you can tell those same people why you want to become a doctor and they will eat it up whatever you tell them.

Point being, know what you are getting into when you are choosing to go down this route. It really is not for everybody.

IF medicine is the career you want, then the next semester you start classes you better have your act together. IMO you have plenty of time to bring that cGPA up but you have to get serious now. Your sGPA isn't too bad so you should be able to get that bad boy up a few points higher. Keep in mind, taking time off to figure out if medicine is right for you and to better prepare for school is a hell of a lot better then jumping into things and getting bad grades again.

I think that you should follow your heart.

Hello!
I have completed two years of college so far, but I was studying computer information systems. My life long dream has been to become a doctor, and I have many shadowing and volunteering hours that date back all the way to high school (three years ago. I recently started again) however, i started doubting myself and in my ability to become a doctor so I never even started pursuing it. I have investigated other fields that I thought I'd be interested in, but I hated every single one and after becoming a medical scribe thes epst few months, I can't see myself working in any other field. I know I'd beat myself up if I never even try.

I took a break from school this year because Im responsible for my own tuition and couldn't continue to afford it and have been saving up to go back to school next year. I was wondering if I should just finish my degree in computer informatics and then do a post bac program or just get into pre med now? I did horrible one semester since I was dealing with great hardship that was detrimental to my health and focus. so should I also retake those courses too? (Failed three classes, withdrawal was rejected since they received my paperwork from my caseworker late)

I'm also a TX resident if that means anything.

Hello!
I can't see myself working in any other field. I know I'd beat myself up if I never even try.... Im responsible for my own tuition and couldn't continue to afford it and have been saving up to go back to school next year. I was wondering if I should just finish my degree in computer informatics... I did horrible one semester since I was dealing with great hardship that was detrimental to my health and focus. so should I also retake those courses too? (Failed three classes, withdrawal was rejected since they received my paperwork from my caseworker late)... I'm also a TX resident if that means anything.

If you've got the brains and willpower, you can still make this happen, but it will require significant dedication. (mostly because medical school is hard and demanding) No one cares how long it takes you to get the medical school prerequisites done, just get them done with >3.5 GPA.

You're only 2 years into school, so there's no reason to waste 2 more on a degree you don't want, especially since you have to pay cash for it. (Why not loans?) I would find another major that you could get a job in that requires most of the same prerequisites or at least allows you to extra space in your schedule to take the same sciences. Many in my class have biochemistry, chemistry, and exercise physiology degrees. Biology degrees really aren't useful outside of medicine. But I also have classmates with psychology degrees who fit the science classes around that.

Retake the classes if you're planning on going DO. There's no grade replacement for MD. Is there a benefit to showing you can pass the classes well now that those circumstances are over? I don't know.

TX resident - that's good news because TX medical schools are almost exclusively for state residents and have some of the cheapest tuitions in the country.

If you've got the brains and willpower, you can still make this happen, but it will require significant dedication. (mostly because medical school is hard and demanding) No one cares how long it takes you to get the medical school prerequisites done, just get them done with >3.5 GPA.

You're only 2 years into school, so there's no reason to waste 2 more on a degree you don't want, especially since you have to pay cash for it. (Why not loans?) I would find another major that you could get a job in that requires most of the same prerequisites or at least allows you to extra space in your schedule to take the same sciences. Many in my class have biochemistry, chemistry, and exercise physiology degrees. Biology degrees really aren't useful outside of medicine. But I also have classmates with psychology degrees who fit the science classes around that.

Retake the classes if you're planning on going DO. There's no grade replacement for MD. Is there a benefit to showing you can pass the classes well now that those circumstances are over? I don't know.

TX resident - that's good news because TX medical schools are almost exclusively for state residents and have some of the cheapest tuitions in the country.
No grade replacement for DO.