Test Tools Kindle Fire HD up for grabs!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prize: 1 Kindle Fire HD Tablet 7" HD Display, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Dual-Antenna Wi-Fi, 16GB

Do you have your eye on a new Kindle Fire HD? You could win one here!

Just comment below! Tell us, do you use eBooks for your studies? If so, which ones are the best? Would you buy an eBook over a hard copy? Winner will be chosen by the SDN team.

Are you interested in learning more about Lippincott eBooks? We have the content you need, in the format you want!

Members don't see this ad.

eBooks are really hit or miss for me. Some eBooks are very well organized and re-formatted so as to work great on a tablet or eReader, while others seem to be a straight copy from the original with no adaptation at all. This can be distracting depending on the book.

When I do have a good eBook on hand, I like to pull up and enlarge pictures or tables, which are usually very good for explaining something to someone or just for my own reviewing purposes. And, of course, it's a lot lighter than lugging several real textbooks around!

I could see buying an ebook over a real one IF I had a good ebook reader. How capable is the Kindle Fire really? Is it able to access the ebooks on the LWW website that come with print copies of your books? It seems like those are harder to access (often impossible to access) from mobile platforms but it would be nice if I could leave my big copy of Bates at home and still access the web-based copy on my (Android) phone or on a Kindle Fire (e.g., to look something up the technique for a physical exam I've forgotten during clinic).

I've never used an eBook to study before, but I think it's something I'd definitely try out if it can
1. annotate the book
2. use a search function for specific words and
3. bookmark pages.

As long as you can do these features I don't see why I would use a heavy textbook over a reader.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd require an ebook to be easily flipped through and annotated. If it was, then sure I'd use it!

I received a free e-book when I registered my anatomy and physiology book. I liked the searchable function, and all the extra features that came along with the e-book. There were links to videos that showed animations for several processes that were difficult to understand.

The lab manual also had an electronic version. I liked being able to carry my iPad around, and not need to carry a large textbook, lab manual, and notebook. I could read, take notes, prepare for lab, and study all from a single source.

The environmental impact of not using paper is another large factor in my mind. With many businesses going to a paperless system, it makes sense to learn in a paperless environment. There is less waste, and it is more environmentally sustainable.

I was also able to log in and access my e-book anywhere I had computer/internet access. I was able to access my books in some of the strangest places. Increasing the places where some studying was able to happen. As a busy non-traditional student that works full time, a few minutes of studying at odd times is invaluable.

I would definitely get an e-book again for future classes. I used my e-book more than the paper book.

The two downsides to e-books that I can see right off the bat are if the reading device runs out of power and there is no place to charge it (traveling or out somewhere without the charging cord). The other drawback is not being able to sell back books, or allowing others to borrow them when you are not using them.

dsoz

Being completely honest, I have never used an ebook for school. I have taken a look at some ebooks, but never something like a textbook for school. Given the opportunity, I would definitely try out ebooks. They are lighter, never damage physically, and I would imagine they are cheaper since the distribution/packaging is cheaper (?). I look forward to ebooks because I am attending NOVA for optometry this fall and the school is implementing iPads for all students. Here I come ebooks!

I think it depends on the material. For "dense" reading (such as insane philosophy papers) I need a physical document that I can highlight and flip through. For light reading, ebooks are good. Also it really depends on the how the light of the device is. If the light is too hard or too bright it distracts me from reading.

It definitely depends on how user-friendly the e-book is, and whether it's easy to annotate and highlight. I need to be able to keep my hands busy when I study, and highlighting does it for me. I'm afraid I have yet to come across one I'd call my favorite...

I have most of my anesthesiology books on my kindle account. Most of them work well and are convenient on the go and I can view them from my smart phone. However, one of the books makes references to page numbers in the hard copy book which cannot be found in the e-book format. Other than that problem, I like e-books. I haven't had any trouble annotating, bookmarking or highlighting.

I haven't used many ebooks since I don't have an e-booker reader or a tablet. I have viewed a few on my laptop/iphone. Good ones make it easy to flip to the information you are seeking and are smartly formatted. Poor ones are the ones that are basically just a pdf of a scanned copy of the text, I don't find those user friendly.

I've used anesthesiology ebooks mainly on my laptop. I recently upgraded to a smart phone so I plan to download books onto there. I don't mind it.

My question is how good a quality is the visual on the kindle HD when reading ebooks? how about picture quality?

I'd certainly give it a try.

I always use ebooks when I can since they are so much more convenient than traditional textbooks. I have used many Pearson books and books from other major publishers. I would absolutely buy an ebook over a hard copy due to the easier weight and lower chance of damage.

I've used a few eBooks before, but I don't have an iPad/tablet/Kindle. I've used eReaders on my laptop, but the main reason why I like hard copy books is because I can't get distracted by surfing the internet if I'm not on my computer. You also can't resell eBooks (unless I'm mistaken). I like that eBooks are searchable, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use an ebook for every reference that doesn't fit in a white coat pocket. I also just recently discovered Foxit reader so keeping my place and opening multiple ebooks in one place.

I would buy ebooks in most scenarios if possible. Having to move once a year has made things difficult to carry books from place to place.

I've been using eBooks and apps more and more for studying. If I can get a mobile question resource, I'll definitely use it.

My current Eresource of choice is the app for:
41d%2BInjhUIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I haven't really had to the chance to dabble in e-books. They were not really around when I was in school. For an e-book to really make a presence for me it would need to be easy on the eyes (strain) and be note/customize friendly. There is certainly the advantage to have one book cover many devices. Another plus would be if you could buy a hardcopy/e-book combo at a discounted rate for both.

I've never used an e-book for study purposes before. I guess old habits are hard to let go of... But I would definitely love to get with the times. I can't even imagine having all my resources available at the switch of a button! I think as long as I can highlight, bookmark pages, and maybe take notes then I would love to try it.

I've never used an eBook to study before, but I think it's something I'd definitely try out if it can
1. annotate the book
2. use a search function for specific words and
3. bookmark pages.

As long as you can do these features I don't see why I would use a heavy textbook over a reader.
I really like the 3 categories above in regards to having and using ebooks and agree, especially with number 1. Being able to annotate the book is VITAL for reviewing purposes.

Even QBooks could be very valuable as an eBook source due to the easy accessibility (you can get 10-15 questions done on your lunch break if you stay focused enough).

What I feel it ultimately boils down to is the number of clicks it takes me to get where I want to be. If I have to open the app and make 5-6 other clicks in order to type in the search engine and struggle navigating the system, I've wasted more time trying to figure out the ebook than I am learning what I need to to become successful.

I still think it's easier on my eyes to read out of a paper textbook than stare at a computer/tablet screen for studying, but for looking up quick references or guidelines, eBooks are PERFECT!

Thanks

I love the search function on ebooks-- that can be a big timesaver to have. I still like having physical books though when I'm reading

I haven't purchased any stand-alone ebooks but I do use the online access codes that come bundled with the physical copy if it is available. I don't see myself purchasing a standalone ebook until I have a tablet of some sort because I don't like reading textbooks on my laptop

I love the search function on ebooks-- that can be a big timesaver to have. I still like having physical books though when I'm reading

I haven't purchased any stand-alone ebooks but I do use the online access codes that come bundled with the physical copy if it is available. I don't see myself purchasing a standalone ebook until I have a tablet of some sort because I don't like reading textbooks on my laptop

Can I just say -- what he said?

Seriously, though, I like being able to search and annotate on ebooks but have not had an ebook reader so I don't really use them beyond the one's accessible through textbooks' codes on their covers.

I also like the idea of only carrying one book -- my ereader -- around instead of a stack of books and syllabi.

Anyone know how the Kindle Fire handles PDFs and Word Docs?

I will be starting residency in July. The last two textbooks I've bought are ebooks. I prefer them as it's easy to carry and read on the go. Plan to stick with ebooks.

I've tried using e-books for study but the iPhone is too small. I've looked at Iphone and Kindle. The Kindle has better picture in light. I love how a real book feels and truly enjoy the bookstore experience but being able to access more information is a fair trade. :)

Ebooks can be a hit or miss. There are some that are merely text, pictures and tables aren't adapted well. (Can't even read them!)
However, there are some books that have been re mastered.
I have used the inkling app for the iPad/iphone and it was amazing. Scrolling is easy, search and interactive features are above other apps I have tried.