Kindly cancelling interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4r45553j

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just accepted to my #1 choice school, but have 3 other interviews, one is this coming weekend. I'm not able to get airfare money back, but I could at least save money on shuttles/taxis/hotels/food and time. Do you think it's worth going to this interview? Is it too late to cancel? Any advice on how to kindly cancel an interview? I don't want to take somebody's spot who is seriously considering the school, but then again, it's unlikely someone else will be invited on such short notice. I feel bad. Like I could go an fall in love with the school, but I got into my IS and it'd be silly for me not to go there.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're certain you're going to accept your #1 choice (and why wouldn't you? :)), I think it would be nice to cancel and give the other schools the opportunity to interview someone else (or, at the least, to not waste the interviewers' time). And, you might as well save what money you can.

Just call the school, explain that you just received an offer at your top choice, and explain that you wanted to let them know as soon as possible that you would like to decline to interview.

They'll appreciate that more than if you show up, interview, and then say "Oh, heh, there wasn't really any chance I was coming here anyway."

Reactions: 1 users
I had this same question last year. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/turning-down-interviews.972700/)
If you're positive that is the school you want to go to, I would contact the other schools as soon as possible to let them know (nicely) that you are canceling. Thank them for their time and consideration and explain that you believe the other school is a better fit for you.
Like LIS said, it's nice to allow others the chance to interview who may really want to go to that school. Even though its short notice, schools may still offer the spot to other applicants. I've heard of people getting interview invites a few days before the interview. Plus, you're going to want to save as much money as you can now that you're headed to vet school. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed my schools something like the following (this was 2+ weeks before my earliest scheduled interview date):

Hi [insert name here],

Thank you so much for the interview invite. Unfortunately, I have been offered an acceptance to another school and would like to decline my invitation to interview at [insert school here].

Thank you again for the opportunity.

Sincerely,
[your name]

Kept it short and sweet. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Hi everyone,

I was just accepted to my #1 choice school, but have 3 other interviews, one is this coming weekend. I'm not able to get airfare money back, but I could at least save money on shuttles/taxis/hotels/food and time. Do you think it's worth going to this interview? Is it too late to cancel? Any advice on how to kindly cancel an interview? I don't want to take somebody's spot who is seriously considering the school, but then again, it's unlikely someone else will be invited on such short notice. I feel bad. Like I could go an fall in love with the school, but I got into my IS and it'd be silly for me not to go there.

I turned down an interview for an OOS due to financial reasons. I was honest and polite, and gave them plenty of time ahead so someone else could take my spot. There shouldn't be a problem. There is no shortage of people who are dying to fill that spot.