Kinetics on NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUBulldog07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys -

New member, but I've been a longtime reader. All of you are so insightful and helpful. I'm taking the NAPLEX next week. I'm a 50/50 mix of feeling prepared and deathly afraid of failing. Just the thought of failing sends my stomach to the floor :scared:.

I've been a big studier of APhA. Although many feel it is far too detailed, I find that it paints a bigger picture to facilitate good learning IMO :D. Anyway, I just had a question for those who have taken the NAPLEX this year:

Was there a ton of PK questions on the exam? Namely, were there math problems or just questions related to the study of PK? I'll probably go over that chapter, but I didn't know how in-depth I needed to go.

Thanks a lot for all of your insight. It's been a pleasure reading all the encouragement provided to others in the same boat as me!! Congrats to all who have already passed!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I got really lucky and only had a single kinetics question on my exam and it was seriously the easiest kinetics question that could have been asked. Kinetics was by far my top subject, so I'm really glad mine wasn't heavy on the kinetics. Though, I haven't heard anyone say there is much on the exam.

Don't waste your time studying kinetics. Like pharmagirl said, the questions were VERY easy. Also remember that the calculator that you are given to use is a 4 function calculator. ( +,-,x,/). Don't waste your time memorizing equations that have log, ln, e, and others, because you will not see them. In fact, don't memorize any of the equations.

Don't waste your time studying kinetics. Like pharmagirl said, the questions were VERY easy. Also remember that the calculator that you are given to use is a 4 function calculator. ( +,-,x,/). Don't waste your time memorizing equations that have log, ln, e, and others, because you will not see them. In fact, don't memorize any of the equations.

I'll probably just brush over some of the more basic concepts then (i.e. first-order kinetics, etc.). I, honestly, cannot wait to be done with these exams. I can't imagine what it will feel like. Probably pure elation, huh? :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the insight guys. Any other tips you'd like to offer??

Members don't see this ad :)
My advise for last minute craming would be to:

-Know how to do every math problem in Chapter 1 of the APhA book... reallly well.
-Know Top 200 brand, generic, side effects, monitoring, strengths, patient consulting, and dosage forms.
-Know treatment guidelines for the top disease states: Diabetes, Asthma, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, ect.

You will do fine!

Probably pure elation, huh? :laugh::laugh:
That's how I would describe it!

-Know how to do every math problem in Chapter 1 of the APhA book... reallly well.
-Know Top 200 brand, generic, side effects, monitoring, strengths, patient consulting, and dosage forms.
-Know treatment guidelines for the top disease states: Diabetes, Asthma, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, ect.
Good suggestions!

I think the dosage forms was what I had the most problem with on the test... I know the popular drugs but when they would ask about hospital-only type drugs I had a hard time with dosage forms. I think that's much more important than knowing actual strengths. Also, like mentioned above, counseling points are really important!

I've gone through the math once and felt pretty comfortable. Thought I'd go through it at least once more. Seems like a commonality among all test takers and future test takers is that math is a critical part of the exam.

Anyone heard of much hepatic/renal on the exam? APhA only had a renal section I believe.