kiosks in malls

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
even though we have commercial establishments, at least we are not in kiosk mode.

look at this

http://www.abc25.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyid=4434

tooth whitening in the middle of the walkways in malls to replace dental visits

Members don't see this ad.

no where in that article does it say it's going to "replace" dental visits. It freely admits it's a cosmetic procedure and may/may not violate practicing without a license in Indiana. If people are uninformed enough to trust someone at a mall kiosk with no licensing to touch their teeth..... it might take a few "misshaps" and reports to the state department of health before someone does something about it.

no where in that article does it say it's going to "replace" dental visits. It freely admits it's a cosmetic procedure and may/may not violate practicing without a license in Indiana. If people are uninformed enough to trust someone at a mall kiosk with no licensing to touch their teeth..... it might take a few "misshaps" and reports to the state department of health before someone does something about it.

yeah i know the article doesn't say they want to replace dental visits... but the whole idea is to try to let people avoid going to a real dentist, and get tooth whitening via a mall kiosk

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen this at the mall near my house over the past few months and its just very strange. Bystanders staring at your drooling face? Random people crowding around and pointing at your ugly teeth? There's more onlookers than customers and I certainly don't want anyone gawking at me while I'm getting my teeth whitened. I don't think dentists should be too worried about this fad. Even though the mall is always busy, this procedure didn't seem appealing and the chairs were usually empty. No surprise there.

I've seen this at the mall near my house over the past few months and its just very strange. Bystanders staring at your drooling face? Random people crowding around and pointing at your ugly teeth? There's more onlookers than customers and I certainly don't want anyone gawking at me while I'm getting my teeth whitened. I don't think dentists should be too worried about this fad. Even though the mall is always busy, this procedure didn't seem appealing and the chairs were usually empty. No surprise there.

it doesnt sound like a big deal anyway. i doubt these treatments are much more effective than do it yourself, at home bleachings