KMC manipal admission 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kez123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Gr. 12 student from Canada. After doing extensive research and reading threads on this forum, I have decided to apply to KMC next year. I have visited the college and I thought it was pretty good. I just wanted to know the curriculum for the first year because I want to start preparing and not get a huge burden when I go there. Can someone please tell me the curriculum and the textbooks that are used. Also, if someone can tell me the exam format, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone is planning to go to Manipal next year, pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

The curriculum for MBBS is pretty much the same for all medical schools in India. While KMCgraduates can comment on the specifics for Manipal,
Indian 1st year has the following subjects and the following books are usually followed:

Biochemistry: Harpers plus one indian author, we followed Satyanatayan. I personally found Lippincotts a very good read as well.
Anatomy: Snells /Inderbir Singh/ BD Chaurasia, Cunningham's manual for dissection hall
Physiology: Guyton/ Ganong/ AK Jain

There are other threads in the forum on similar topics which might help you.

Hope it helps

Mike Sierra

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

The curriculum for MBBS is pretty much the same for all medical schools in India. While KMCgraduates can comment on the specifics for Manipal,
Indian 1st year has the following subjects and the following books are usually followed:

Biochemistry: Harpers plus one indian author, we followed Satyanatayan. I personally found Lippincotts a very good read as well.
Anatomy: Snells /Inderbir Singh/ BD Chaurasia, Cunningham's manual for dissection hall
Physiology: Guyton/ Ganong/ AK Jain

There are other threads in the forum on similar topics which might help you.

Hope it helps

Mike Sierra

Hey,
Thanks so much for your reply :) it will help me alot

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please give me some tips for first year in Manipal? Like..what to expect, how to get good marks, etc.
Thanks to anyone who takes time in reading this thread and replying :)

Hi,
I am pretty much in the same situation. But has not yet researched or visited any indian medical colleges.
Heard KMC manipal is good. Did you just apply through their website?

Hi arc2015,
Are u from Canada too? I just started applying and saw the college too this summer. Its great and I met with the deputy director there. I talked to her about the procedure. You can either apply online or fax or mail them your application form. Feel free to msg me :). It will be great to know someone there already lol.

Hey,

Did you get into Manipal yet?
If so what were your grades?
I am also thinking about applying. This information will help me assess the competition at Manipal, thanks.

I am thinking about going to Manipal for 2016.

Hey,

Did you get into Manipal yet?
If so what were your grades?
I am also thinking about applying. This information will help me assess the competition at Manipal, thanks.

No.. I haven't even applied yet. The deadline is in March and I still need to get my first semester marks in order to fill my application.

Hi,

I'm a senior from US. I was also thinking about applying to Manipal. I was looking at their NRI requirement and saw that they needed me to have taken Chemistry, Biology, Physics in 11th and 12th or as an AP course. I took Chemistry in 10th grade but it was a pre-ap course. My school just had the courses arranged differently so it wouldn't have been any different from taking it in 11th or 12th.

Do you think this will be a big issue in my addmission? I really don't to be disqualified for such a small issue.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm a senior from US. I was also thinking about applying to Manipal. I was looking at their NRI requirement and saw that they needed me to have taken Chemistry, Biology, Physics in 11th and 12th or as an AP course. I took Chemistry in 10th grade but it was a pre-ap course. My school just had the courses arranged differently so it wouldn't have been any different from taking it in 11th or 12th.

Do you think this will be a big issue in my addmission? I really don't to be disqualified for such a small issue.

Thanks

Hey mnm2015,
I am not really sure about that but I have read similar questions about the AP course. The best thing to do would be to directly talk to them. You can e-mail the deputy director and ask her about this. As far as I know, it wouldn't be a problem because people with AP courses go to Manipal. But you should check with them. The e-mail is on their website.

Ok..so I got accepted to Manipal and I am going. If there are any NRIs going to Manipal this year, please reply to this thread or message me.

Hey Kez123 so I was planning to go to manipal or SRM. IM still in highschool graduating in the year 2016. So im still currently a junior. I am taking Ap Bio and AP physics this year and am planning to take AP chem the following year. I recieved a B+ in AP bio first semester. But in AP physics I have recieved a C. I was wondering if that cut my chances of getting into medschool in india.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kez123 so I was planning to go to manipal or SRM. IM still in highschool graduating in the year 2016. So im still currently a junior. I am taking Ap Bio and AP physics this year and am planning to take AP chem the following year. I recieved a B+ in AP bio first semester. But in AP physics I have recieved a C. I was wondering if that cut my chances of getting into medschool in india.

Hi @wannagonrimed ,
Since my school uses percentage, I don't really know ur chances in terms of grades. You can still apply to Manipal and you might get in. Your chances would probably be greater in ramaiah, KIMS, SRM. If you get a higher mark in chem this year, it might compensate for your physics. But I think you should be able to get in. And if you can, also talk to the med schools in north India.

Hey guys

I got accepted to KMC Class of 2019 as well. I'm from US and have competed one year of premed here and some of the advanced science classes at college level.

From what the admission counsellors told me, they consider your AP courses if you're applying through the NRI process. I had taken AP chemistry, AP biology and AP Physics C and gotten 4/5 on all. I'm not sure how competitive they are but I would have rather applied through the general route and taken the entrance test if I didn't have travelling complications and finals here.

That being said, I'm pretty much certain that I'm going to KMC this fall and I'm pumped for the next few years there! It would be really nice to know some people before we get there :)

Hey guys

I got accepted to KMC Class of 2019 as well. I'm from US and have competed one year of premed here and some of the advanced science classes at college level.

From what the admission counsellors told me, they consider your AP courses if you're applying through the NRI process. I had taken AP chemistry, AP biology and AP Physics C and gotten 4/5 on all. I'm not sure how competitive they are but I would have rather applied through the general route and taken the entrance test if I didn't have travelling complications and finals here.

That being said, I'm pretty much certain that I'm going to KMC this fall and I'm pumped for the next few years there! It would be really nice to know some people before we get there :)
Hi
Nice to know that someone else is going to KMC this year too. Are you going to the Manipal campus or Mangalore Campus?

Hi
Nice to know that someone else is going to KMC this year too. Are you going to the Manipal campus or Mangalore Campus?

I'm planning to go to the Manipal campus. I heard all NRIs usually go there and it's a better campus/ university feel. Have you visited either?

Yup..I have visited the Manipal campus. The infrastructure is way better and everything is close together. I am planning to go to Manipal campus to. Did u pay the fees yet? BTW i am going to India this July to get the equivalence certificate. Would love to get in touch with you.
My e-mail is [email protected]
I am also on Facebook. My name is Kezia Tyagi.
(this is for anyone who else is going to Manipal)

Yup..I have visited the Manipal campus. The infrastructure is way better and everything is close together. I am planning to go to Manipal campus to. Did u pay the fees yet? BTW i am going to India this July to get the equivalence certificate. Would love to get in touch with you.
My e-mail is [email protected]
I am also on Facebook. My name is Kezia Tyagi.
(this is for anyone who else is going to Manipal)
That's nice. Yea I haven't had the chance to visit Manipal at all. I was planning to complete my medicine education in the U.S. but there are too many complications as a non citizen. But I'm excited for Manipal. I'll add you on Facebook. I'll be heading to India as well. Do you know when I'm August we have orientation at Manipal?

Can someone please give me some tips for first year in Manipal? Like..what to expect, how to get good marks, etc.
Thanks to anyone who takes time in reading this thread and replying :)

Hi! I'm starting my second year at Manipal on Sept. 1st. I'm actually leaving the US in a week. In a nutshell, expect to be a little overwhelmed, unless you're naturally smart, which I'm not haha. You basically have to know the textbook inside and out for Anatomy and Biochemistry. Pay attention in Dissection, it helps with Anat theory. Do your best in Practicals, they're easy points. DRAWINGS are sooo important for anatomy, they will save you if you don't know the theory properly. Trust me, practices drawings really well. For physiology, read the textbook, take notes if it helps, I took notes because it was easier to review notes rather than a textbook before an exam. Also for physio, practice graphs/data graphs. Practice/memorize cycles really well for Biochemistry, it's easy points.
For exams
Anatomy- If the question is specific, the answers have to be specific. If the question is broad, write as much as you can on that topic.
Physio - they want short, straight to the point answers, with lots of charts, graphs, etc... They love chart answers
Biochem- Just answer the question however haha, don't "fluff" your answer, just answer the question to the point.

Make sure you look at the previous year question papers - from the library or available online somewhere - and get the anatomy question bank from a senior. Basically saved me during universities

I was definitely overwhelmed the first few months, but it got better. Make sure you figure out how to study, because not everyone studies the same way. I made notes and just constantly re-read them, and practiced drawings whenever necessary. I had some trouble because I figured out my way of studying late in the year. Plus all the local kids seemed so smart and I felt really stupid.

Miscellaneous tips -
  • Attendance is important, attend class as much possible, theres a girl who couldn't write her Biochem Uni exam because of low attendance.
  • Try to do well in the sessional exams
  • Pay attention in class, it'll be hard at times, but sometimes teachers will call you out in class, I know from personal experience haha.
  • Stay active, eat healthy - helps fight stress
  • Dont' fall behind, study everyday, even it's a just a little bit, it's better than nothing.
  • Time management is very important!

There's soo much more I could write about but then this answer would go on forever! In the end, work hard, study hard, and have fun! Go to Mangalore, the beach, the lake, something!
And don't worry too much, trust me, if I could pass first year, you definitely can ;)

Hope I helped!

Hi,
I am a Gr. 12 student from Canada. After doing extensive research and reading threads on this forum, I have decided to apply to KMC next year. I have visited the college and I thought it was pretty good. I just wanted to know the curriculum for the first year because I want to start preparing and not get a huge burden when I go there. Can someone please tell me the curriculum and the textbooks that are used. Also, if someone can tell me the exam format, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone is planning to go to Manipal next year, pm me.

Textbooks:

Biochemsitry - Satyanaryana, Lippincotts. The majority of the class also used Prasad R.M, it's not a recommended book, but it's a life saver during exams

Anatomy - B.D Chaurasia, Netter's Atlas, Latha V. Prabhu for Histology, Clinical Neuroanatomy by Vishram Singh - We didn't use Cunningham's manual, just photocopied the first few pages for Dissection thats all

Physiology - Guyton, G.K Pal, Ganong,

Check your recommended books in the orientation book you'll get at orientation, and read through some of the books and see what you like before you buy them, because they're bulky and expensive. Personally I didn't like Ganong, but I bought it in the first week because it was the recommended book. I ended up using Guyton and G.K Pal and Ganong turned out to be a waste for me, but it's up to you because some people really liked Ganong. Feel free to check out other books too!

Textbooks:

Biochemsitry - Satyanaryana, Lippincotts. The majority of the class also used Prasad R.M, it's not a recommended book, but it's a life saver during exams

Anatomy - B.D Chaurasia, Netter's Atlas, Latha V. Prabhu for Histology, Clinical Neuroanatomy by Vishram Singh - We didn't use Cunningham's manual, just photocopied the first few pages for Dissection thats all

Physiology - Guyton, G.K Pal, Ganong,

Check your recommended books in the orientation book you'll get at orientation, and read through some of the books and see what you like before you buy them, because they're bulky and expensive. Personally I didn't like Ganong, but I bought it in the first week because it was the recommended book. I ended up using Guyton and G.K Pal and Ganong turned out to be a waste for me, but it's up to you because some people really liked Ganong. Feel free to check out other books too!

Thank you so much sk97!! Hopefully I will you see you there in Manipal! :)

Hi,
I'm a student from Los Angeles and currently in 12 grade. I have applied for the 2016 MBBS batch at KMC Manipal. If there are any NRIs planning to attend this college, then please get in touch with me. I have already visited the campus and I met the International Admissions Head and the Dean. Just waiting till June.

Last edited:

Hi,
I'm a student from Los Angeles and currently in 12 grade. I will be applying for the 2016 MBBS batch at KMC Manipal. If there are any NRIs planning to attend this college, then please get in touch with me. I have already visited the campus and met with the International Admissions Head and the Dean.

I am not sure if this will help, but a friend of mine US citizen studied high school in India, was always in "Slow learner/special class for slow learner from elementary till 10th grade" ......somehow managed to get 97 percentile in 12th grade from a brand new school which is yet to be established. Got admission in Manipal under NRI category. Spent most of his time playing music and partying and I believe has passed his MBBS without much difficulty. Considering his case I would suggest you talk to the school directly. They may relax their policy due to NRI status ($200K plus cost to attend).