Know any good psychiatry books (or articles)? *(Combined Sticky)*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Stahl books are indeed often lacking references. A large portion of the information, however, consists of what is to be considered "common medical knowledge." This means that it is perceived by many that rather than bogging down an already information-intensive text with endless references, the basic information (how muscarinic receptors operate; functioning of a pituitary lactotroph) is simply stated, and one can reference the basic science elsewhere. I noticed this too in medical school. Throughout physiology, molecular bio, anatomy, biochem, cell bio, etc, no references were given. We were just to accept all the professor's information as "the truth." The given here, of course, was that to bog down students with endless references that are unmemorizable is counterproductive. The latter is more indicitive of psychology journals and texts, where you can barely get through one paragraph without being distracted by 50 names of researchers. I noticed also that in general, medical texts and journals have superscript numbers referring to references which can be seen in the reference section. One could easily make an argument as to why PhDs insist on having their names in the paragraph text, even though it bogs down text to the point of unreadable-ness.

The Stahl book is a great, concise more digestable companion to a more traditional psychopharm text, such as: The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychopharmacology, Third Edition. There, you'll get all the references you'll want. A decent portion of it, however, is similar science you'll see in Stahl.

Members don't see this ad.

sga430 said:
what book do u all recommend for those just about to start rez? both in terms to prepare for rez and perhaps fiction. i have very little psych experiencs being an IMG. also i would like to say i am nu here and this forum has a lot of great info about psy residency and the field itself. a lot of great posters here. was wasting too much time at prep4usmle (which is great forum in general but not many psych fans there) looking for psych info. :)

It was mentioned a ways above, but I believe that every psychiatrist, in training or otherwise, should read Shawn Shea's Practical Art of Suicide Assessment annually.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that Kay Jamison's An Unquiet Mind is a great read. I especially liked her description of missing the highs of mania after being placed on lithium for her bipolar disorder. "Normal" felt like deprivation to her.

I also like Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures. She has autism, and in her book she describes how her perceptions of the world and how she learned to interact with it enabled her to find her niche within it--designing humane animal enclosures.

Dementia Praecox - Bleuler (descriptive psychiatry at its best)

Clinical Psychiatry - Mayer-Gross

The Clinical Interview Using DSM IV TR - Othmer & Othmer

Principles of Intensive Psychotherapy - Fromm-Reichmann

Cell 2455, Death Row - Chessman --> incredible depiction of antisocial PD

Do you all recommend "American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders: Compendium 2004"?

I remember in my OBG rotations that the OBG faculty rely on their annual compendium every day. But they do update theirs each year. Does anyone know how often APA updates theirs and in general, if it is a useful book?

Quijotemd said:
Do you all recommend "American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders: Compendium 2004"?

I remember in my OBG rotations that the OBG faculty rely on their annual compendium every day. But they do update theirs each year. Does anyone know how often APA updates theirs and in general, if it is a useful book?

I like it but I don't know how mainstream it is. You can download parts of the guideliness from the APA website. There you may also find how often it is updated.

http://www.psych.org/psych_pract/treatg/pg/prac_guide.cfm

sorry, double post my bad

On a related note, does anyone here subscribe to or would recommend any of the psych journals during residency?

jschwartz said:
On a related note, does anyone here subscribe to or would recommend any of the psych journals during residency?
If you belong to the APA, you'll get a bunch of stuff for free. I get the green journal, Psychiatric Services, Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Primary Psychiatry, Psychiatry (the magazine), Psychiatric News, Psychiatric Times, and CNS Spectrums off the top of my head. Plus, I get a lot of other 'throw away' journals that I skim and toss.

Wait to see what you get, and what books you get from Drug reps and what book stipend you get from residency (if any) before you pay for anything. Then again, the new 8th edition of K&S just came out. That's always a safe bet if you're itching to read something now. It's expensive though...$245 I think for the full 2 volume version.

i saw this newly released edition in my library last month. it looked good and is nicely pocket-sized. anyone use/d it?

hmmm... i seem to be gravitating to the british-published texts. :cool:

I really liked this book a lot. Unfortunately, it's painfully outdated - though much of the information doesn't really change. It has lots of practical information for psychiatry residents, including diagnosis codes, lots of psychopharm tables, including receptor affinities, equivalent dosing charts, side effect profiles, metabolism systems, and more. It's got practical points on everything from how to prepare someone for ect, to detection of drugs in blood and urine. Also includes information on reproductive psychiatry, geriatrics, and herbal medicines.

Best of all, it's small and easily fits in your lab coat pocket.

A Pocket Reference for Psychiatrists, Third Edition

Has anyone read Handbook of Medicine in Psychiatry (Paperback)
by Peter Manu (Editor), Raymond E., M.D. Suarez (Editor), Barbara J., M.D. Barnett (Editor) ?

Any good for PGY-1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Solideliquid said:
by Peter Manu (Editor), Raymond E., M.D. Suarez (Editor), Barbara J., M.D. Barnett (Editor) ?

Any good for PGY-1?

nope, i think your best bet would be reading the DSM-IV-TR... thanks for the insightful reply to the post in the Psychiatry FAQs. :laugh: :laugh:

Solideliquid said:

Any good for PGY-1?
It's so funny that you mention this book. I just saw this book today in the big B&N medical bookstore in NYC and wanted to take a look through it. Alas, it was wrapped in plastic and when I tried to remove it, I was reprimanded by the staff.

What a stupid policy to wrap books so that you can't read them.

prominence said:
nope, i think your best bet would be reading the DSM-IV-TR... thanks for the insightful reply to the post in the Psychiatry FAQs. :laugh: :laugh:

Been there, done that. I read that baby for fun.

Here is a link to the AADPRT (American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training).

At the bottom is a .pdf link for the NYU residency reading list. I tried to upload the file directly but it was too large. It's 277kb. Lots of great and seminal stuff there.

Below that link is the psychodynamic psychotherapy comprehensive reading list as well. Again, lots of important works.

There's even a couple PRITES there.

The Mind of The Accused: A Psychiatrist in the Courtroom

Written By Dr. David Abrahamsen, the guy who successfully got the "Son Of Sam" to admit guilt and acknowedge his actions.

This book may singlehandedly make me pursue the life of a forensic psychiatrist!

there are none except

little black book of psychiatry and the Harvard guide to psychiatry.

try reading the biograpy of Freud also

The Collected Works of Harry Stack Sullivan, M.D.

A History of Psychiatry: From the Era of the Asylum to the Age of Prozac. E. Shorter, Wiley, 1997.

Heavily biologically-based, with less sympathy to the psychoanalytic movement. A great read....though I'm not done with it yet.

Others criticise it as being polemic.

Anasazi23 said:
A History of Psychiatry: From the Era of the Asylum to the Age of Prozac. E. Shorter, Wiley, 1997.

Heavily biologically-based, with less sympathy to the psychoanalytic movement. A great read....though I'm not done with it yet.

Others criticise it as being polemic.
I see that Norto already mentioned this book previously. It's a good read, if you're interested in the history of psychiatry from a biological perspective.

He has another book also, called A Historical Dictionary of Psychiatry.

Totally love this thread--just discovered it last night on call. I'm reading "A History of Psychiatry" and "The Lobotomist" now--both very good, very interesting books. I'm woefully deficient in so much of my reading--I added all of the recommendations to my Amazon wish list and will troll our library for titles!

Wanted to see if anyone had any "must read" books for chlid & adolescent. What is considered the child version of K&S? Is there such a thing? Is there a child psychopharmacology text out there?

PRITE review time !

I haven't seen too much of it, but here's the APA's new Board Review Book
The American Psychiatric Publishing Board Prep and Review Guide for Psychiatry (Paperback)
by James A. Bourgeois (Editor), Robert E. Hales (Editor), Stuart C. Yudofsky (Editor)

Also the Mass General Book:
Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Update & Board Preparation, Second Edition (Paperback)

And the Kaplan & Sadock Question book:
Kaplan and Sadock's Study Guide and Self-Examination Review in Psychiatry (Paperback)
by Benjamin J Sadock, Virginia A Sadock, Rebecca Jones

I have enjoyed the set of 5 Core Comptencies books available from APPI. In the midst of reading The Art and Science of Brief Psychotherapies, a book in this set, and have found it very helpful so far.

Finished Shorter's A History of Psychiatry: From the Era of the Asylum to the Age of Prozac a couple of weeks ago--really enjoyed it, and learned so much from this admittedly biologically-biased writer. He manages to dismiss most Axis II disorders as well as much of the field of child and adolescent psychiatry within the space of a couple of paragraphs, but it's truly rich with history. Not a quick read--gets boggy with who's-who details, but worthwhile, even if you are a Freudian at heart.

Next up: Roy Porter's Madness: A Brief History and Gracefully Insane: The Rise and Fall of America's Premier Mental Hospital (about McLean).

I would recommend the following books in addition to the ones listed:

Getting Started - Kotin
For anyone learning psychodynamic psychotherapy. It is currently out of print, but copies can be found. Great for beginners.

Electroconvulsive Therapy - Richard Abrams
Written in 1997, not the newest, but again, a nice book for beginners.

The Psychiatric Interview in Clinical Practice - MacKinnon and Michels
Out of print as well, but was recommended to me by an attending my 1st year when I wanted to fire all of my patients with personality disorders. I found it helpful to gain some insight into their problems.

Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder - Linehan
This is the "Bible" of DBT, but it has been a HUGE help with patients who have emotional dysregulation. I use it for many patients, because it had handouts to give to the patients. Since I started using it, I found a lot of my patients call less, since they have learned some tools to help them cope.

P.S. Has anyone found a book that teaches English-Spanish psychiatry? I have like 4 medical books on learning Spanish, but I can not find any for Spanish psychiatry! :/

P.S. Has anyone found a book that teaches English-Spanish psychiatry? I have like 4 medical books on learning Spanish, but I can not find any for Spanish psychiatry! :/

Well recommended by all the clinicians in our outpatient clinic:
Wiley's English-Spanish, Spanish-English Dictionary of Psychology and Psychiatry by Steven M. Kaplan

MBK2003

well I recommend the following texts for post graduate psychiatry

1) FISH'S PSYCHOPATHOLOGY

2) COMPANION TO PSYCHIATRIC STUDIES

3) DSM IV AND ICD 10

4) BROWN AND PEDDAR INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOTHERAPY

i remember once i was on this psych rotation at county hospital in SoCal and reading this one book...old appearing, about sexual deviants, it was fascinating reading, but at the time i was not interested in psychiatry for whatever reason. i'm not sure the name of the text, but i'm sure it's standard fare in psychiatry circles. i'm sure it's not something you can pick up at a bookstore either. a rare gem i'm sure.

Cool new book. Lots of pearls and dosing tips:

Essential Psychopharmacology: The Prescriber's Guide
by Stahl, 2005

A typical entry has the name, generics, indications, "how the drug works," "how long until it works," If it works" (how to continue tx or adjust it), if it doesn't work (similar next strategies), augmentation combos for partial response or treatment resistance, "tests," "side effects," "What to do about side effects," "dosing and use" which includes how to dose, usual dosing range, dosing tips, and overdose, long term use, "how to stop," "pharmacokinetics," "drug interactions," "other warnings/precautions," who NOT to use it in, "special populations" including kids and elderly, and pregnant patients, and the "art of psychopharmacology" which has advantages, disadvantages of the drug, along with target symptoms and pearls.

Especially fun book to review the lesser-used drugs and their uses, etc.

I just got the ebook version of this for my Palm. You can get it here:

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_display.asp?IID=261016

FYI: it comes in 2 formats. I found out the hard way that the Adobe format sucks and does not correctly reformat this title for the Palm, so I had to redownload it in the other format (Mobipocket) which works great. It also takes up 1/20 of the space than the adobe format.

I also see that there is a Palm version of The Little Black Book of Psychiatry which is next on my list, because I hate carrying a bunch of books in my pocket. :)

Money and Outpatient Psychiatry: Practice Guidelines from Accounting to Ethics (Hardcover)
by Cecilia M. Mikalac

http://www.amazon.com/Money-Outpati...0393704408/ref=pd_ybh_a_1/102-6979798-0808941

I was thumbing through it the other day when it was brought to my "Early career psychiatry" class. It cover a lot of interesting topics, from setting up an effective billing procedure, generating cash flow, to the allowance of drug-reps in your office.
It came recommended from our attending and doesn't break the bank.

I was going to buy the Stahl book, but it's been a while since a new edition has come out. Any one know if another edition is coming soon?

p

I was going to buy the Stahl book, but it's been a while since a new edition has come out. Any one know if another edition is coming soon?

p

Are you referring to essentials? I just checked amazon and "'Essential Psychopharmacology: the Prescriber's Guide (Essential Psychopharmacology Series)' by Stephen M. Stahl, Meghan M. Grady, and Nancy Muntner" has a listed copyright of 2005,2006. Perahps you wanted something more recent?

Yeah, I was referring to Essentials, but maybe I'll look into the Prescriber's Guide, too. Thanks!

i remember once i was on this psych rotation at county hospital in SoCal and reading this one book...old appearing, about sexual deviants, it was fascinating reading, but at the time i was not interested in psychiatry for whatever reason. i'm not sure the name of the text, but i'm sure it's standard fare in psychiatry circles. i'm sure it's not something you can pick up at a bookstore either. a rare gem i'm sure.

Psychopathia Sexualis, by Richard von Krafft-Ebing. First published in 1886, but still in print (as of 6 years ago anyway). A great read!!! Interestingly, the sexually explicit parts of the text were originally printed in Latin so only educated physicians could understand it. Not really standard fare in psychiatric circles anymore, but definitely so for those interested in the history of psychiatry/medicine.

Love's Executioner is set of true stories from Yalom's practice.

I agree, a good read, but his narcissism and flat humor frustrated me. anyone else feel the same?

also, the man who mistook his wife for a hat by oliver sacks is a good one.

I'm interested in buying Stahl's "Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical Applications (Essential Psychopharmacology Series)" to get a general overview of psychotroic meds before intern year starts, but I noticed this one (not The Prescriber's Guide) has a copyright of 2000? Is this too outdated to serve as an introduction text on the neuro basis of the meds i'm going to start using? Have many new theories or research regarding receptors and mechnasim come out since that time?

Thanks!

I'm interested in buying Stahl's "Essential Psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific Basis and Practical Applications (Essential Psychopharmacology Series)" to get a general overview of psychotroic meds before intern year starts, but I noticed this one (not The Prescriber's Guide) has a copyright of 2000? Is this too outdated to serve as an introduction text on the neuro basis of the meds i'm going to start using? Have many new theories or research regarding receptors and mechnasim come out since that time?

Thanks!

I was just flipping through this (2nd edition, c. 2000) to prep a lecture. As a BASIC "introduction text on the neuro basis of the meds", it is still useful--but it is not up to date in all relevant areas--e.g sertindole gets much more coverage than aripiprazole, which is barely mentioned as a "promising agent".

I was just flipping through this (2nd edition, c. 2000) to prep a lecture. As a BASIC "introduction text on the neuro basis of the meds", it is still useful--but it is not up to date in all relevant areas--e.g sertindole gets much more coverage than aripiprazole, which is barely mentioned as a "promising agent".

Thanks. Is there a more up-to-date book that you'd recommend?

For those of you out there interested in sleep, I recommend the semi-light but illuminating "Family Who Couldn't Sleep" by D.T. Max, which follows the Italian genetic line stricken with Fatal Familial Insomnia, and ties together the beginnings of prion research with their story. Good weekend reading.

Moral Minds: How Nature Designed our Universal Sense of Right and Wrong by Marc Hauser is a fascinating read. I am about halfway through it right now and am enjoying it very much. Hauser is an evolutionary biologist at Harvard who provides evidence that humans are born with an innate sense of morality, much like Chomsky's theory of an innate grammar of language. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in forensics, ethics, or human behavior, in general.

If you're interested in forensics and/or psychopathy, Lustmord- edited by Brian King is an interesting read. It's a collection of the writings and artifacts of serial killers.

Also, Divided Minds, an autobiography of twin sisters, one a psychiatrist, one a poet with schizophrenia, is well-written and captivating.

For the PGY-1 Neuro rotation, what books do you recommend? Thanks!

Just wanted to recommend Lincoln's Melancholy by Joshua Shenk. It is surprisingly easy to read for a Presidential biography, and the author weaves in a lot of material about Lincoln's dysthmic existence. It is better than I expected and the author, who is not a psychiatrist, takes a refreshing look at letters and correspondence and speeches to try to understand Lincoln's "state of mind."

It really is a good read. Felicity.

i agree. this was a fantastic book. the book is even more impressionable if you go to the national portrait gallery in washington dc and look upon lincoln's death masks.