Know anyone with the craziest class schedule??!!

Started by smislam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smislam

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I remember earlier in the quarter, one of my friends that I study with mentioned that he was going to take a strenuous courseload (idont know why... perhaps to finish quicker, cheaper, boring life, etc).

His schedule was:
Ochem I
Physiology
Upper Division Writing and field studies (8 unit class)
Art History
Intro to Economics
Upper Division Public Health science

To sum it all up, thats about 32 quarter units! That's crazy. I was talking to him a couple of days ago, and he said that he was sitting at a high B or a low A for each of his classes. Not bad, I'd say. 🙄 And somehow he still has a lot of free time during the weekends when I play ball with him.

Anyways,
Do you any of guys know someone (or yourself) taking a ridiculous schedule like that????? (university or comm college).
I don't know if I am willing to do something like that.
 
I don't know how the units work on the quarter system, but that actually doesn't look like the worst schedule I've seen.

Next semester (in pharm. school) I have:

Pharmacology (3)
Pharmaceutics (4)
Therapeutics (4)
OTCs (3)
Research Design (3)
Practice Lab (1)
IPPE (1)

That's 19 credits. Not sure how that would translate in quarter units, but none of those classes are easy.
So get used to hard schedules.
 
OP, why are you asking this question? Anyway, to answer you:

Yes I know of someone who took a very crazy schedule. That person is me. According to Auburn University's conversion table found here, and generally accepted conversion standards, one quarter hour is approximately 2/3 of a semester hour. So 32 quarter hours converts to 21.33 semester hours, while 19 semester hours converts to 28.5 quarter hours.

There was a semester where I took 29 hours. In quarter hours, that would be 43.5 hours. On top of that, I worked on campus for 20 hours/week. I had 209 credit hours when I graduated, and I did that in 8 semesters. That's about 26 hours per semester (or 39 quarter hours) on average. I graduated with a 4.0.

There was actually someone who took crazier hours than I did, and he managed to be president of student senate, president of chemistry club, and secretary of math club, and now he's studying abroad in Fiji.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking 22 (semester hour) credits. It's intense, but not impossible.
 
Isn't there a limit for how many credit hours you can take per semester? My univ limits us to 18. You can pick up additional 3 or 4 if you have been faring outstandingly well in the past with the full load.
 
One semester I had
Analytical Chemistry with lab
Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab
Oragnic Chemistry II with lab
General Education class

Total of 17 semester units

I did pretty good though, but it was long and hard work.

And on the side, I was a volunteer at a free clinic and a pre-health vice-president
 
My university limits us to 20 units. However, you can work around on the computer system by adding classes manually (getting the prof's signature). That's how my friend did it. Well, I'd say for those who can take that many units and still do well, they should be well prepared for the rigors of pharmacy school. At least we hope so.

Bacillus1, what are the things you learn in Pharmaceutics and
Therapeutics? Do you learn about the specific drugs and their mechanisms in those classes?
 
I don't know how the units work on the quarter system, but that actually doesn't look like the worst schedule I've seen.

Next semester (in pharm. school) I have:

Pharmacology (3)
Pharmaceutics (4)
Therapeutics (4)
OTCs (3)
Research Design (3)
Practice Lab (1)
IPPE (1)

That's 19 credits. Not sure how that would translate in quarter units, but none of those classes are easy.
So get used to hard schedules.

IPPE eh... I know a lot of people who don't care for that
 
Right now I'm taking:

OChemI
A&P I
Upper Level Biology/TA course
Intro to Sociology
Microbiology
-----------
17 Credits

Next semester I'm going to take:

OChem II
A&PII
Grad level Stat
Eng Comp II
Intro to Psych
Philosophy of Religion course
---------------------------
19 Credits
 
back in undergrad, the craziest semester i had was:

Physical Chemistry: Quantum Chemistry and Spectroscopy with lab
Genetics with lab
Microeconomics
Biochemistry with lab

16 hours total. Physical Chemistry had a lab that was 6 hours per week (3 hours twice a week). The other two labs were just once a week.

So my schedule was like:

MW: class for two hours, lab for three hours
TR: class for three hours, lab for three hours
Fridays: class for two hours

I was in lab for 12 hours per week.
 
IPPE eh... I know a lot of people who don't care for that


Don't mean to be crude, but you'd care if it was your asss getting up at 6 am for IPPEs, so you can squize them in before an 8 am - 3 pm classes, after which you do homework till 1-2 am w/out any breaks.

They may not be challenging as a class per se, but they sure take away the little time you can spend sleeping.

Just as a relavance point so you know EXACTLY how bad it is: I spent over 100 dollars last month on energy drinks to keep myself awake.
 
Don't mean to be crude, but you'd care if it was your asss getting up at 6 am for IPPEs, so you can squize them in before an 8 am - 3 pm classes, after which you do homework till 1-2 am w/out any breaks.

They may not be challenging as a class per se, but they sure take away the little time you can spend sleeping.

Just as a relavance point so you know EXACTLY how bad it is: I spent over 100 dollars last month on energy drinks to keep myself awake.

I agree with you 100000%. IPPEs are a complete WASTE of time! I seriously think the people that made up IPPEs must really think that pharmacy school is extremely easy and therefore pharmacy students need something/some sort of busy work to take up their day. 🙄👎Everyone that disagree with us are pre-pharms and have NO idea how big of a waste IPPEs are. 🙄

I would rather take biochemistry, anatomy, pharmaceutics, and all the other "hard" classes required for pharmacy school...then waste my day away with pointless crap like IPPE that isn't there for anything but to take up time.
 
Don't mean to be crude, but you'd care if it was your asss getting up at 6 am for IPPEs, so you can squize them in before an 8 am - 3 pm classes, after which you do homework till 1-2 am w/out any breaks.

They may not be challenging as a class per se, but they sure take away the little time you can spend sleeping.

Just as a relavance point so you know EXACTLY how bad it is: I spent over 100 dollars last month on energy drinks to keep myself awake.

You misinterpreted what I meant. Everyone I've talked too hates IPEEs. I have yet to speak with someone who says they are worthwhile
 
You misinterpreted what I meant. Everyone I've talked too hates IPEEs. I have yet to speak with someone who says they are worthwhile

Well, my hospital IPPE P1 wasn't bad, just too much time spent there. Nevertheless I'm glad I got the exposure (you can read my IPPE diaries).
My retail IPPE P1 was a waste of time.
This semester I just have to do 1 site visit and make a big project about it, which isn't bad.
Next semester is 4 4-hour site visits and some other stuff. I don't see where they're coming up with 300 hours, but they're probably count all the projects we're doing on the side and meetings we go to as hours. Really not that bad of a time commitment, but with all the other stuff and with being a chapter board member on APhA, it seems a bit wasteful.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to b*tch about my schedule, I was just saying that the OP should get used to hard schedules because he will have some quite challenging semesters in pharmacy school.
 
IPPE is approximately 50 hours (plus time to write up documentation of these hours) per semester. It's the big surprise course for me as far as time. All for one credit hour ( and obviously the ability to graduate).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with you 100000%. IPPEs are a complete WASTE of time! I seriously think the people that made up IPPEs must really think that pharmacy school is extremely easy and therefore pharmacy students need something/some sort of busy work to take up their day. 🙄👎Everyone that disagree with us are pre-pharms and have NO idea how big of a waste IPPEs are. 🙄

I would rather take biochemistry, anatomy, pharmaceutics, and all the other "hard" classes required for pharmacy school...then waste my day away with pointless crap like IPPE that isn't there for anything but to take up time.

I actually find my IPPEs really mentally taxing (8 hours + 4 hours + 2 hour discussion on 3 separate days). I kind of make up my own schedule for the day, but I go on rounds and try to understand everything that's happening even when I've only had one year of therapeutics. The attendings are ridiculously smart...
Our IPPEs are different - they're bound to our PCare courses. Patients we see at the hospital when doing med recs are selected for patient workups every couple weeks where we have to give a presentation, care plan, SOAP note write up, etc. The 4th year is gonna suck in terms of exhaustion.
 
Hey guys,

I remember earlier in the quarter, one of my friends that I study with mentioned that he was going to take a strenuous courseload (idont know why... perhaps to finish quicker, cheaper, boring life, etc).

His schedule was:
Ochem I
Physiology
Upper Division Writing and field studies (8 unit class)
Art History
Intro to Economics
Upper Division Public Health science

To sum it all up, thats about 32 quarter units! That's crazy. I was talking to him a couple of days ago, and he said that he was sitting at a high B or a low A for each of his classes. Not bad, I'd say. 🙄 And somehow he still has a lot of free time during the weekends when I play ball with him.

Anyways,
Do you any of guys know someone (or yourself) taking a ridiculous schedule like that????? (university or comm college).
I don't know if I am willing to do something like that.

One of my friends would regularly take 30+ units each quarter. He did that for three and a half years and graduated in four with three majors, research experience, volunteered at a hospital, published papers, and tutored people in calculus and gen chem. He's also probably the smartest person I know.
 
Me LOL. I am a frosh

General Chem I
Engl 101
History (world civilization)
College Algebra

next semester
General Chem II
General Biology I
Trigonometry
Engl 102
 
Me LOL. I am a frosh

General Chem I
Engl 101
History (world civilization)
College Algebra

next semester
General Chem II
General Biology I
Trigonometry
Engl 102


You probably have the easiest schedule that I have seen so far. Mine will be a beast only because 3 of the courses that I will be taking next semester are more Math based and I still think it is doable...Here is my next semester schedule:

OChem II (w/ lab)
Statistics
Calculus I
Gen. Physics (w/ lab)
 
You probably have the easiest schedule that I have seen so far. Mine will be a beast only because 3 of the courses that I will be taking next semester are more Math based and I still think it is doable...Here is my next semester schedule:

OChem II (w/ lab)
Statistics
Calculus I
Gen. Physics (w/ lab)

Oh yeah, you should be fine! I took Ochem I, A&PI, Physics I, and 2 300 level spanish courses together. Good luck! :luck:
 
Mine schedule was never too bad, but I had:

Ochem II 3 cred
O lab 2 cred (4 hours+)
Microbio 3 cred
Micro lab 1 cred (3+ hours)
Medical ethics 3 cred (3 hour class once a week)
Calc based physics II 3 cred
Physics lab 1 cred (supposed to take 3 hours but I always finished quickly)
Statistics 3 cred (3 hour class once a week)
Science Scholar Seminar (thing for all the scholarship science majors to work on projects) 1 cred

Only 20 credits, but a fair amount of work and hours. As a P1, I have class only from 9-2 now😀
 
I'm taking 18 semester credits...

Analytical Chemistry
Biochemistry
Genetics w/ lab
3 upper level exit requirements.
 
My final semester of prepharm back in 2003 I took:

Physics II
Oraganic Chem II
Microbiology
Calculus
New Testament Survey (the only humanities credit I could fit in for the liberal arts requirements...)

I just really wanted to get into school after only 2 years...and I did...plus I worked 24-32 hours a week at the local hospital as a tech because my momma had a mental breakdown and I had to help pay the mortgage...

No time for girls...no time for friends...it sucked rather heartily...
 
My worst semester was only 17 credit hours but it was four science classes: orgo 2, calc based physics 2, cell bio, analytical chemistry. Also 3 out of the 4 had labs attached to them. The thing that made it rough is that I commute about 70 minutes each way 5 days a week and had to fit in a full time work schedule on weekends, evenings and overnights.
 
OMG right now Im taking Immunology, Physics II w/lab, Genetics, and Biochemistry. To make matters worse im getting Cs in Immunology and Biochemistry...I dont know what to do with myself. i see all these people barely studying and without worries pulling A's while im here constantly stressing, constantly studying to get bad grades.
 
OMG right now Im taking Immunology, Physics II w/lab, Genetics, and Biochemistry. To make matters worse im getting Cs in Immunology and Biochemistry...I dont know what to do with myself. i see all these people barely studying and without worries pulling A's while im here constantly stressing, constantly studying to get bad grades.

Might be time to examine your study habits. More time spent studying does not always mean the most productive studying! C's is definitely not where you want to be.
 
Organic Chemistry
Anatomy
Anatomy Cadaver Lab
Biology
Biology Lab
Physics 2

NO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
 
Last edited:
My worst semester was spring of my freshman year. I half assed B's by first semester, so here I was thinking I could handle 18 credits of:

Gen Chem II
Cell and Molecular Bio
Into Comp. Sci.
Calculus I
Writing Comp. II
Freshman Seminar

Needless to say my studying habits materialized sophomore year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is pretty subjective. You can take 22 semester units of non science and be fine. On the other hand, if you take 22 semester units of physical/biological science classes that have a heavy lab component, you are not fine.
 
Last semester, as a P1, I took:
Macromolecular Chemistry and Biotechnology
Anatomy and Physiology II
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Lab
Pharmaceutics
Pharmaceutics Lab
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Introduction to Pharmacy
Pathology Principles
Pharmacology Principles

Quite possibly the toughest schedule I've EVER had! So glad I got out alive... barely.