Knownerror

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this DNA/biopsy correlation thing becoming more commonly used out in the clinical world? Is this something big corporate labs offer/market or what?

Last edited:
It is not common.
It is not covered by Medicare. I am not sure if commercial insurance will pay for it.
No consensus yet that is all that helpful.

As the article points out the DNA correlation service did not prevent an error in this patient.
They did not go into why the process failed.
They also did not indicate that the pathology lab was the problem.
Reading between the lines, the error may have occurred at the clinic.

DNA correlation is no fail safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not a smart process to take a DNA swab at the same time as the biopsy because the error could more easily impact both samples.

Reactions: 1 user
Medicare will be forced to pay for it on prostate biopsies if that law goes through. I guess if your biopsy was from another body site, you won't get the same coverage.

Proposed bill targets prostate cancer misdiagnoses

DNA testing is being pushed by the in-office urology lab people. They see it as a revenue source. Just look at the history of Strand Diagnostics and who the founder is. Look at who made campaign contributions to the guy proposing this bill.

This is, to me, essentially a glorified scam. Mislabeled specimens are a HUGE issue, but unlikely to be helped by this proposal. If a clinic has problems labeling its specimens appropriately, that's a huge problem for which an additional labeled specimen is not a solution. If there is a suspicion of mislabeled tissue, check it then.

Reactions: 1 user