KoalaT's All-in-One MCAT Guide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoalaT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my MCAT yesterday. I spent the past 150+ days preparing and lurking around this forum. Over that time, I learned a lot about the MCAT, preparing for the MCAT, and found an abundance of resources that every MCAT taker should have. Here it is. All-in-One. Enjoy

THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ALL THOSE PREPPING FOR THE MCAT. THIS CONTAINS EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER WANT TO KNOW.

PREPARING/STUDY GUIDE
Where to start?
SN2ed's Study guide http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

This is the guide I used and is perfect. It takes 95 days to complete and has since be adapted by other users (check the stickies). All you really got to do is throw in a chapter of psych/soc after each round of studying and VIOLA! Adapted for the new MCAT.

Keep a record of your schedule. I created a giant table that recorded how many days until the MCAT, what I did that day, and what practice material I utilized. Mark out your progress on the SN2ed schedule as you go.

BEST MATERIAL
My opinion: The best material is TBR, hands down. Don't worry that it is old. It is still the best in every category, including Biochemistry. This material is the highest rated by other users, and I 100% agree. I also bought and used the new TBR Psych book. It was AMAZING. Just like other TBR material, which is highly concept focused and contains a huge depth of material.

Sociology must be supplemented into this material. I used TPR sociology. It's only 2 chapters and it covers it all perfectly (along with AAMC material, it is all you need).

TPR Hyperlearning workbooks are a MUST! These are the greatest depth of practice and very good.

EK1001 is a great source of discrete questions for content review. This link will help you line up your TBR chapters with the appropriate EK questions.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ek-1001-matched-to-tbr-how-to-supplement-ek-bio.1021208/

MATERIAL COMPARISONS
TBR: Best material for study prep. It will teach you every single little detail and it does an OUTSTANDING job of walking you through how everything works step by step so you get an amazing conceptual understanding. You'll find yourself no longer needing to memorize small details and more focused on thinking about the big picture and reasoning solutions. Passages are VERY difficult. They focus heavily on content and details from the preceding chapters and are best used for putting your newly learned content into practice rather than giving you a realistic idea of MCAT passages

TPR: Probably the second best material. Most of all, you want to use the Verbal hyperlearning workbook and the science workbook. You'll have 101 passages in every section and their verbal is definitely the best.

EK: Very "general concept" oriented. It does not go in much depth. It focuses more on teaching you important details and concepts. It is good for very quick overviews and general understandings, but TBR will teach you material much better. EK1001 is probably the best thing from here. STEER CLEAR OF EK VERBAL PRACTICE. However, EK verbal strategy is good: Read to understand. No gimmicks.

Khan Academy: Great videos to supplement on concepts you have difficulty with. Use the videos to clarify areas you are weak in. Also, great source of free practice material. Best for Psych/Soc practice

Kaplan: Honestly, I really don't like Kaplan. It tries to teach you important details and simply how to solve problems and gives you very little insight into how things work or appropriate test taking strategy.

VERBAL
What should I do?

Strategy
I personally highly prefer EK's strategy. I suggest reading their verbal book. It is very short. The old MCAT was much different the new CARS. The old MCAT was only 7.5 minutes per passages. Many testers resorted to speed reading tactics and short cuts. The new CARs allows 10 minutes per passage. This is plenty of time to read the whole passage through once and even go back to the passage during questions.

EK strategy is basically as follows: READ EVERY WORD. Don't read first and last sentences only, don't skip passages that are hard and focus on easy one's, don't just read intro and conclusion. The fact is these are all just test taking gimmicks and will cap your score at a 9-10 (126-127). If you want to go higher, you need to take it as the test intended. To truly read the passage and understand the point being made. This takes practice and time.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. The only way to improve verbal is to practice, practice, practice. Everyday. I used to think I was never getting better at verbal. I'd review the tests I took and think "okay that's what I did wrong, but how is this improving me for next time?" The fact is you really are getting better. It may not seem that way, but you are. Refer to this post by me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbal-proof-that-practice-makes-perfect.1177878/

The Golden Rule
This is the number one way to see quick results in your score. Use this strategy. Practice it. Soon, you will no longer need to abide by it strictly and will learn to spot wrong answers and right answers. You MUST read this thread by me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-improve-on-verbal-golden-rule.1189602/

Verbal Practice Material
TBR: Not very good honestly. I avoided this

**TPRH: The TPR hyperlearning workbook is a must. This is the best and most realistic material. Great practice material. I did 3 passages each day in chunks and kept record of all my scores.

EK: They have good strategy, but they're verbal practice is pretty awful. It is extremely inconsistent (from super easy to stupid hard). The material was written by the owner's brother who honestly probably had very little credibility to do so. You will notice so many questions that are down right unfair, way too detail oriented, and you will question many answer and their explanations

**LSATs: Great practice material. These are great material because they are old tests that have been proven fair. When you get questions right, you will know why. When you get them wrong, you will agree with why you were wrong. Fair, balanced, good practice.

TIMING, PRACTICE TIMING, AND MCAT FORMAT
Chem/Phys Section:
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

Practice with 7-7.5 minutes per passage and about 1 minute per discrete.

On the real test you will have 8 minutes per passage and 1 minute per discrete.

CARS
90 Minutes
9 Passages

Practice with 9 minutes per passage.

On the real test you will have 10 minutes per passage

Biochem
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

Psych/Soc
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

On FL and the real MCAT
Before starting, write out a time line and mark out the times as you complete them.

Ex: Write "1:35 - 1:27 - 1:19 - 1:15 - 1:07 - 59 - 51 - 47 - etc etc" at the top of your page.
When you finish the first passage (max of 8 minutes) mark out the 1:27. This is your deadline for when you should be complete with that section. The discretes will be in portions of 4 at a time. Mark out the times as you go. Try to finish each section a bit early. You do not want to get behind and feel rushed. You will make mistakes and not think as carefully. Also you must have time to review to make sure you do not have any incompletes. This does happen occasionally and will happen to you at some point, so be sure to have time to hit the review button and quickly find any incompletes and click the answer you intended.

More information about format found here:
https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-2016/

THE AAMC MATERIAL
You want to start this material about 30 days out from the test. It will teach you whats important and give you an idea of what the real deal is like.

Section Banks
This material is all new for the new MCAT. It is more difficult than the real deal and the full lengths a bit, but that is good practice (**Edit: It's general more difficult than the real deal. Many people have been reporting their biology section had 2-3 passages that were of similar to the increased difficulty as the section bank). Absolutely great material here. In the Psych/Social section bank in particular, be sure to record what every single theory/term means. Even if it isn't the right answer, look up what it is (i.e. conflict theory, functionalism, Social facilitation, etc etc)

Individual Volumes
These are simply old AAMC material that has been chosen to be put in here. You'll notice it is easier and more of a concept and knowledge review. These passages are not as realistic to the real deal but are great practice material for review. They are simply old AAMC practice test passages you have probably seen if you've taken the old AAMC FLs.

Practice Tests
Not much to say here. Must take them. Compare your scores to the spreadsheet I will post below to get an idea of how you will do on the real thing.

SCORES AND BENCHMARKING WHERE YOU ARE
This spreadsheet was created for people to report their scores on various tests. Use it to see how other's who scored similar scores as you did on other material and the real deal.

http://bit.ly/1SwSODA. You can probably find an updated version of this somewhere on the forums that has the AAMC practice test in it as well.

General concept (depends on GPA too):
510 (30-31/84 percentile) = in the running for medical applicants with good competitiveness
515 (34/94th percentile) = A very competitive application
520 (37/98th percentile) = Take your pick of all the schools that want you.

Always shoot for the 520. Don't limit yourself based on expectations and don't settle for "good enough". Practice makes perfect. Keep striving.

**Also see the "Record Keeping" section below. You should always benchmark your progress in different topics and verbal.

PRACTICE PASSAGES: LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES
According to the SN2ed schedule, you do practice passages after each chapter. As well, for the last 35 days, you pretty much do nothing but practice up until the test. The key here is LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

After taking passages, do not skip over ones you got correct. Read it again and reason through "why was that correct?". You'll be surprised to see you often get questions right for inappropriate reasoning. For questions you get wrong, think about them before looking at the answer. When you do read the answer, you need to internalize what you were previously missing and what information you need to learn to get it right the next time. Was it passage misunderstand? Was it content you had wrong? Or was it simply something you knew but just got wrong.

The whole point of practice passages is to IRON OUT THE WRINKLES. Getting questions wrong is a not entirely a bad thing. It helps you realize the wrinkles in your knowledge and smooth them over.

Practice material
The best practice material (other than the AAMC material above) is the TPR workbooks. Both the verbal workbook and the science workbook. Here's a technique I used that I think is best:

I created my own tests. Create a Chem/Phys section:
- Take 6 passages from the TPR chemistry in random different topics.
- Take 3 passages from TPR physics in random different topics.
- Take 1 passage from TPR Ochem in a random topic

This would leave me with 10 passages, which I'd time myself on and do the whole section (realize there on no discretes in this home made test. You should not give yourself more than 80 minutes and should practice with about 70-75 minutes)

Next create a verbal section using TPR hyperlearning verbal workbook (should be 9 passages)

Lastly, create a biology section with 9 Bio passages and 1 Ochem passage from the "Biologically relevant organic molecules" topic in TPR.

Now, take all 3 sections as if it was a real test. Afterwards, grade it and iron out those wrinkles.

*Psych/soc is harder to practice. Khan academy passages are probably your best bet. I simply timed myself passage by passage and did however much I felt was good.

Record Keeping
You should seriously keep a record of your progress. For example, CARS I created a table. It said what passages I did, what strategy I planned to implement (before I took the passages), the grade I got, and then my after thoughts. For example, I would say "I'm going to get through the passages quicker this time and spend more time on the questions and referring back". After taking the test, I might say something like "I should have spent more time understanding the passages" or "I still need to get through the passages quicker". Then, when you do your next set of passages the next day, implement a revised strategy. Overtime, you will see your score go up and your strategy improve.

I also kept a log of all my science question mistakes. If I got something wrong and thought "Dang, I didn't even know that" or "Wow I should have remembered that", I would summarize the knowledge I needed to learn in a log. I organized it by chapter and topic (i.e. Chapter 1 Physics - Forces). This helps because you can read through it later. You'll find you learn from your mistakes temporarily but it is easy to forget what you learned about the course of your study schedule. It helps to read through your most common mistakes later to really solidify them.

Keep grade logs for every passage you do. This way, when you're done with all content, you can see where your lowest grades where and target them.

FULL LENGTH PRACTICE
In addition to AAMC material, there is a free online TPR full length you can take. Google it.

EK has released 4 new MCAT FL that are $5o a piece. They are good review. They are more difficult than AAMC material and the real MCAT, but you can compare your scores with the above spreadsheet to see where you're at.

Remember, grading your practice tests and learning from you mistakes is far more important than just taking the test and seeing your score.

NEW VERSUS OLD MCAT
This compilation was put together by MCATJelly. Read all the information. It is people's comments on how the new sections compare to the old and what material was most emphasized (Ex: Know your proteins and amino acids! Beware: physics is lightly tested compared to the old test but any physics is still fair game and you are still expected to know it all. Heavy emphasis on optics, light, frequency, fluids/pressure, and electrics)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam

This link compares the new to old MCAT and tells you what content has been removed. For example, you can lightly review rotational motion and momentum, since it has been removed. It is still a good idea to go over it.
https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-topics-list/

This post shows how to convert old scores to new scores. The simple calculation of old score*1.33 + 468 does not work. Do not believe online calculators. There is a new distribution method and Efle here has laid it out for you.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

CONCLUSION
That's just about it. I'm sure there's some typos in here, and I'll fix them if I notice any. If I remember anything I forgot, I'll edit this post.

It's been a great 6 months of being a part of this SDN community. It helped tremendously, and I'm grateful for everyone's combined efforts. I finished my MCAT and I'm signing out for good. Shout out to SN2ed, MCATJelly, Xenith, and all the other's who've put in so much work to help out.

Good luck to everyone! Hope this helps!

**Edit: For those who are interested, I scored in the 96th percentile with nearly perfect scores in Chem/Phys and Bio.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 38 users
Wow this is fantastic! For someone who hasn't taken a pre-req course in a couple years and doesn't remember much would you say that using the EK series for reading would be okay and then practicing using TBR and other material? I just like the way EK simplifies things but I also want to get good practice and figured TBR would be the best for that. Thanks!

EDIT: Basically I was planning to follow this guide by @Medicine4The3rdW and then supplement with TBR Psych, TPR Psych/Soc., KA, and AAMC Material. You think this is realistic for someone like me?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Use TBR. Hands down. Surf this forum enough and you'll see why you should prefer TBR in every way in every subject. It takes a long time to go through, so you need the 95 (+psych/soc) days to truly get through all TBR material and all passages and have time for plenty of practice material when your done with content. If you have the time, TBR is what you want to use. If not, EK would be good if you need to learn a lot in a shorter time.

The schedule you say your following is really no different than the SN2ed schedule. Also, you have 100 days on that schedule. You could definitely use the TBR material in that time frame and have plenty of time for practice material. Trust me, learned it before or not, it is the best material. It teaches most concepts in better ways than you college professor did. You have 100+ days. There is no need to take the EK shortcut when using TBR will leave you far more prepared.

Bravo!!!! KoalaT hit the nail square on the head here. I could not agree more. This is seriously exactly what I would post and I too say this after having taken the MCAT. This should be stickied and must be the new guide to doing well on the MCAT. The best advice comes from people who have taken the exam and can look at studying with 20/20 hindsight.

The thing that is so important when studying for the MCAT is to learn from your mistakes and to learn how to be time efficient. The schedule and recommendations above provide you with the perfect materials that do exactly that. I actually used the study schedule from the back of the TBR chemistry books, although I had older physics books which didn't match up exactly.

The one thing I would ad is that TBR organic chemistry books are more like biology books now, in a good way. They give you clever mnemonics and quick ways to get things like pI and charges at a given pH.

This should be sticked above all of the other stuff. SDN really needed a veteran to step up. Stellar work KoalaT!!!!

Hah, after all that change and turn out the same study materials still apply. I took mcat in 2011. Thank god! Used TBR, EK, and TPRH.

I just finished my MCAT yesterday. I spent the past 150+ days preparing and lurking around this forum. Over that time, I learned a lot about the MCAT, preparing for the MCAT, and found an abundance of resources that every MCAT taker should have. Here it is. All-in-One. Enjoy

THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ALL THOSE PREPPING FOR THE MCAT. THIS CONTAINS EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER WANT TO KNOW.

PREPARING/STUDY GUIDE
Where to start?
SN2ed's Study guide http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

This is the guide I used and is perfect. It takes 95 days to complete and has since be adapted by other users (check the stickies). All you really got to do is throw in a chapter of psych/soc after each round of studying and VIOLA! Adapted for the new MCAT.

Keep a record of your schedule. I created a giant table that recorded how many days until the MCAT, what I did that day, and what practice material I utilized. Mark out your progress on the SN2ed schedule as you go.

BEST MATERIAL
My opinion: The best material is TBR, hands down. Don't worry that it is old. It is still the best in every category, including Biochemistry. This material is the highest rated by other users, and I 100% agree. I also bought and used the new TBR Psych book. It was AMAZING. Just like other TBR material, which is highly concept focused and contains a huge depth of material.

Sociology must be supplemented into this material. I used TPR sociology. It's only 2 chapters and it covers it all perfectly (along with AAMC material, it is all you need).

TPR Hyperlearning workbooks are a MUST! These are the greatest depth of practice and very good.

EK1001 is a great source of discrete questions for content review. This link will help you line up your TBR chapters with the appropriate EK questions.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ek-1001-matched-to-tbr-how-to-supplement-ek-bio.1021208/

MATERIAL COMPARISONS
TBR: Best material for study prep. It will teach you every single little detail and it does an OUTSTANDING job of walking you through how everything works step by step so you get an amazing conceptual understanding. You'll find yourself no longer needing to memorize small details and more focused on thinking about the big picture and reasoning solutions. Passages are VERY difficult. They focus heavily on content and details from the preceding chapters and are best used for putting your newly learned content into practice rather than giving you a realistic idea of MCAT passages

TPR: Probably the second best material. Most of all, you want to the Verbal hyperlearning workbook and the science workbook. You'll have 101 passages in every section and their verbal is definitely the best.

EK: Very "general concept" oriented. It does not go in much depth. It focuses more on teaching you important details and concepts. It is good for very quick overviews and general understandings, but TBR will teach you material much better. EK1001 is probably the best thing from here.

Khan Academy: Great videos to supplement on concepts you have difficulty with. Use the videos to clarify areas you are weak in. Also, great source of free practice material. Best for Psych/Soc practice

Kaplan: Honestly, I really don't like Kaplan. It tries to teach you important details and simply how to solve problems and gives you very little insight into how things work or appropriate test taking strategy.

VERBAL
What should I do?

Strategy
I personally highly prefer EK's strategy. I suggest reading their verbal book. It is very short. The old MCAT was much different the new CARS. The old MCAT was only 7.5 minutes per passages. Many testers resorted to speed reading tactics and short cuts. The new CARs allows 10 minutes per passage. This is plenty of time to read the whole passage through once and even go back to the passage during questions.

EK strategy is basically as follows: READ EVERY WORD. Don't read first and last sentences only, don't skip passages that are hard and focus on easy one's, don't just read intro and conclusion. The fact is these are all just test taking gimmicks and will cap your score at a 9-10 (126-127). If you want to go higher, you need to take it as the test intended. To truly read the passage and understand the point being made. This takes practice and time.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. The only way to improve verbal is to practice, practice, practice. Everyday. I used to think I was never getting better at verbal. I'd review the tests I took and think "okay that's what I did wrong, but how is this improving me for next time?" The fact is you really are getting better. It may not seem that way, but you are. Refer to this post by me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbal-proof-that-practice-makes-perfect.1177878/

The Golden Rule
This is the number one way to see quick results in your score. Use this strategy. Practice it. Soon, you will no longer need to abide by it strictly and will learn to spot wrong answers and right answers. You MUST read this thread by me:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-improve-on-verbal-golden-rule.1189602/

Verbal Practice Material
TBR: Not very good honestly. I avoided this

**TPRH: The TPR hyperlearning workbook is a must. This is the best and most realistic material. Great practice material. I did 3 passages each day in chunks and kept record of all my scores.

EK: They have good strategy, but they're verbal practice is pretty awful. It is extremely inconsistent (from super easy to stupid hard). The material was written by the owner's brother who honestly probably had very little credibility to do so. You will notice so many questions that are down right unfair, way too detail oriented, and you will question many answer and their explanations

**LSATs: Great practice material. These are great material because they are old tests that have been proven fair. When you get questions right, you will know why. When you get them wrong, you will agree with why you were wrong. Fair, balanced, good practice.

TIMING, PRACTICE TIMING, AND MCAT FORMAT
Chem/Phys Section:
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

CARS
90 Minutes
9 Passages

Practice with 9 minutes per passage.

On the real test you will have 10 minutes per passage

Biochem
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

Psych/Soc
95 Minutes
10 Passages
15 Discrete questions

On FL and the real MCAT
Before starting, write out a time line and mark out the times as you complete them.

Ex: Write "1:35 - 1:27 - 1:19 - 1:15 - 1:07 - 59 - 51 - 47 - etc etc" at the top of your page.
When you finish the first passage (max of 8 minutes) mark out the 1:27. This is your deadline for when you should be complete with that section. The discretes will be in portions of 4 at a time. Mark out the times as you go. Try to finish each section a bit early. You do not want to get behind and feel rushed. You will make mistakes and not think as carefully. Also you must have time to review to make sure you do not have any incompletes. This does happen occasionally, will happen to you at some point, so be sure to have time to hit the review and quickly find any incompletes and click the answer you intended.

More information about format found here:
https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-2016/

THE AAMC MATERIAL
You want to start this material about 30 days out from the test. It will teach you whats important and give you an idea of what the real deal is like.

Section Banks
This material is all new for the new MCAT. It is more difficult than the real deal and the full lengths a bit, but that is good practice (**Edit: It's general more difficult than the real deal. Many people have been reporting their biology section had 2-3 passages that were of similar increased difficulty as the section bank). Absolutely great material here. In the Psych/Social section bank in particular, be sure to record what every single theory/term means. Even if it isn't the right answer, look up what it is (i.e. conflict theory, functionalism, Social facilitation, etc etc)

Individual Volumes
These are simply old AAMC material that has been chosen to be put in here. You'll notice it is easier and more of a concept and knowledge review. These passages are not as realistic to the real deal but are great practice material for review. They are simply old AAMC practice test passages you have probably seen if you've taken the old AAMC FLs.

Practice Tests
Not much to say here. Must take them. Compare your scores to the spreadsheet I will post below to get an idea of how you will do on the real thing.

SCORES AND BENCHMARKING WHERE YOU ARE
This spreadsheet was created for people to report their scores on various tests. Use it to see how other's who scored similar scores as you did on other material and the real deal.

http://bit.ly/1SwSODA. You can probably find an updated version of this somewhere on the forums that has the AAMC practice test in it as well.

General concept (depends on GPA too):
510 (30-31/84 percentile) = in the running for medical applicants with good competitiveness
515 (34/94th percentile) = A very competitive application
520 (37/98th percentile) = Take your pick of all the schools that want you.

Always shoot for the 520. Don't limit yourself based on expectations and don't settle for "good enough". Practice makes perfect. Keep striving.

FULL LENGTH PRACTICE
In addition to AAMC material, there is a free online TPR full length you can take. Google it.

EK has released 4 new MCAT FL that are $5o a piece. They are good review. They are more difficult than AAMC material and the real MCAT, but you can compare your scores with the above spreadsheet to see where you're at.

NEW VERSUS OLD MCAT
This compilation was put together by MCATJelly. Read all the information. It is people's comments on how the new sections compare to the old and what material was most emphasized (Ex: Know your proteins and amino acids! Beware: physics is lightly tested compared to the old test but any physics is still fair game and you are still expected to know it all. Heavy emphasis on optics, light, frequency, fluids/pressure, and electrics)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015exam

This link compares the new to old MCAT and tells you what content has been removed. For example, you can lightly review rotational motion and momentum, since it has been removed. It is still a good idea to go over it.
https://www.mcat-prep.com/mcat-topics-list/

This post shows how to convert old scores to new scores. The simple calculation of old score*1.33 + 468 does not work. Do not believe online calculators. There is a new distribution method and Efle here has laid it out for you.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

CONCLUSION
That's just about it. I'm sure there's some typos in here, and I'll fix them if I notice any. If I remember anything I forgot, I'll edit this post.

It's been a great 6 months of being a part of this SDN community. It helped tremendously, and I'm grateful for everyone's combined efforts. I finished my MCAT and I'm signing out for good. Shout out to SN2ed, MCATJelly, Xenith, and all the other's who've put in so much work to help out.

Good luck to everyone! Hope this helps!
The Princeton Review "new" verbal workbook?

I have never used the new verbal material so I can make no comment. I used (I think 2011?) TPR hyperlearning. The verbal is still the same test. At the very least, it's still the same skills you need to practice. The difference is now you get more time to actually read and understand the passages instead of do crazy speed reading tactics and crazy gimmicks

I have taken both old and new test. I am experienced with both. The old TPR was great for practice. The new TPR maybe good as well, but if I had to guess, it's the same thing (with slightly longer passages as the new CARS has) and omitted science passages and focused on humanities and the arts.

Bravo!!!! KoalaT hit the nail square on the head here. I could not agree more. This is seriously exactly what I would post and I too say this after having taken the MCAT. This should be stickied and must be the new guide to doing well on the MCAT. The best advice comes from people who have taken the exam and can look at studying with 20/20 hindsight.

The thing that is so important when studying for the MCAT is to learn from your mistakes and to learn how to be time efficient. The schedule and recommendations above provide you with the perfect materials that do exactly that. I actually used the study schedule from the back of the TBR chemistry books, although I had older physics books which didn't match up exactly.

The one thing I would ad is that TBR organic chemistry books are more like biology books now, in a good way. They give you clever mnemonics and quick ways to get things like pI and charges at a given pH.

This should be sticked above all of the other stuff. SDN really needed a veteran to step up. Stellar work KoalaT!!!!
This is 100% correct. The organic chemistry TBR is still a must because it contains all the amino acids and biochemistry sort of stuff you need.

I will post more on the subject of "learning from your mistakes" in my edit tomorrow when I have time. This is a subject I should have addressed.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice!

@KoalaT what was your experience like with TPR? Did you get a chance to use them? I was thinking about TPR or Kaplan, but it sounds like much of your own research you found that people favored TPR?

I understand TPR isn't really TBR. I have 2011 TBR that I can borrow from a friend, but since they've released updated books now would it still be worthwhile to use the 2011 books? Should I consider the updated books if I want to go the TBR route? (It's more expensive than TPR/Kaplan complete set so I'm a little bit hesitant there)

@KoalaT what was your experience like with TPR? Did you get a chance to use them? I was thinking about TPR or Kaplan, but it sounds like much of your own research you found that people favored TPR?

I understand TPR isn't really TBR. I have 2011 TBR that I can borrow from a friend, but since they've released updated books now would it still be worthwhile to use the 2011 books? Should I consider the updated books if I want to go the TBR route? (It's more expensive than TPR/Kaplan complete set so I'm a little bit hesitant there)
I believe OP said it doesn't matter if they're old (reread the first section). Need to purchase the psych book. Mine are 2011.

I believe OP said it doesn't matter if they're old (reread the first section). Need to purchase the psych book. Mine are 2011.

Ah gotcha! I missed that part. Good to know 2011 are still usable. Do you have plans on using the 2011 version??

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah gotcha! I missed that part. Good to know 2011 are still usable. Do you have plans on using the 2011 version??
Yes, I'm using 2011 TBR, 2015 EK and ordering the psych from TBR. I'm going to follow
KoalaT 's suggestion for Sociology. New AAMC tests, old AAMC tests and SN2 schedule.

I used all old TBR (Berkeley 2011) except I bought the new psych book, which I would suggest. I then supplemented TPR sociology in (last 2 chapters of their psych/soc book). I did not use TPR content material. I used TPR science workbook and verbal workbook, which are truly priceless and a must have.

Definitely go the "TBR route" but don't worry about getting the new stuff. Just pay attention to the section "Old versus New MCAT" and be sure not to spend to much time on omitted material (there is a link in the original post). For example, momentum and circular motion have been removed (TORQUE HAS NOT!). So quickly skim these material but still get a good understand. There is no new material that is not included in the old books, there's just simply an extra amount of material.

Yes, I'm using 2011 TBR, 2015 EK and ordering the psych from TBR. I'm going to follow
KoalaT 's suggestion for Sociology. New AAMC tests, old AAMC tests and SN2 schedule.
This is precisely what I did. Except the only EK 2015 I used was the Verbal advice. I can see how EK is useful to quickly learn general concepts, so if you don't have time for TBR material, it is a good option.

You sound like you're doing what I did, and I believe that truly is the best based on my experience and the vast amount of posts I've read in SDN

This is precisely what I did. Except the only EK 2015 I used was the Verbal advice. I can see how EK is useful to quickly learn general concepts, so if you don't have time for TBR material, it is a good option.

You sound like you're doing what I did, and I believe that truly is the best based on my experience and the vast amount of posts I've read in SDN
Thank you so much for the great post. I'm definitely concentrating on TBR. I have the EK 2015 and EK 1001 so I'm using them as secondary sources. I'll be over loaded if I get TPR. Wish I had them instead of EK but I'll be OK.

Koala, I saw you mention that you utilized the TBR Psychology/Sociology book for prep. I have acquired the book and am wondering how long it took you to cover the material in the book. Did you feel that there were concepts on the actual MCAT which were not covered in the TBR book, outside of the sociology section?

Koala, I saw you mention that you utilized the TBR Psychology/Sociology book for prep. I have acquired the book and am wondering how long it took you to cover the material in the book. Did you feel that there were concepts on the actual MCAT which were not covered in the TBR book, outside of the sociology section?
I covered a chapter a day, just like every other subject in the SN2ed guide. However, I do remember the first chapter being abnormally long and content dense. Basically, the chapters that go over the biological side of psychology. These might take a little longer than a day to thoroughly study.

As far as the actual MCAT, I thought the material was great. The only hiccup (which is true of many TBR books) is that there is probably too much knowledge in the book. The TBR book goes into extreme depth on the brain, nervous system anatomy, and all sorts of mind-numbingly detailed knowledge. The real deal probably won't be as intricate. However, is this a bad thing? No. There were many questions I got where I thought "wow, I'm glad I read all that in such extreme detail because now I know this answer". For example, I remember reading in great detail about the mechanics of the cochlea. TBR thoroughly covered every little hair, and I remember reading about how cilia of different length are connected by small bridges and when disturbed would pull on neighboring hairs mechanically forcing open gated channels. I later experienced a question that came down to understanding how these hairs worked. Was it ligands? Voltage? Mechanical? Because I had once read the subject in great depth, it wasn't sheer memorization that it worked by mechanically forcing open these gates. I knew the answer because I remembered the process as a whole. It is always easier to remember the big picture than to recall minor details. This is why I love TBR.

I would also say that the passages in the psychology book are very "sciencey" compared to the real deal. But after utilizing the TBR book, the AAMC material will help you determine what the real MCAT will be like, and you can determine the most important information then and review accordingly. But until then, it never hurts to learn the material in great depth. In fact, it helps. Tremendously.

Reactions: 1 users
I covered a chapter a day, just like every other subject in the SN2ed guide. However, I do remember the first chapter being abnormally long and content dense. Basically, the chapters that go over the biological side of psychology. These might take a little longer than a day to thoroughly study.

As far as the actual MCAT, I thought the material was great. The only hiccup (which is true of many TBR books) is that there is probably too much knowledge in the book. The TBR book goes into extreme depth on the brain, nervous system anatomy, and all sorts of mind-numbingly detailed knowledge. The real deal probably won't be as intricate. However, is this a bad thing? No. There were many questions I got where I thought "wow, I'm glad I read all that in such extreme detail because now I know this answer". For example, I remember reading in great detail about the mechanics of the cochlea. TBR thoroughly covered every little hair, and I remember reading about how cilia of different length are connected by small bridges and when disturbed would pull on neighboring hairs mechanically forcing open gated channels. I later experienced a question that came down to understanding how these hairs worked. Was it ligands? Voltage? Mechanical? Because I had once read the subject in great depth, it wasn't sheer memorization that it worked by mechanically forcing open these gates. I knew the answer because I remembered the process as a whole. It is always easier to remember the big picture than to recall minor details. This is why I love TBR.

I would also say that the passages in the psychology book are very "sciencey" compared to the real deal. But after utilizing the TBR book, the AAMC material will help you determine what the real MCAT will be like, and you can determine the most important information then and review accordingly. But until then, it never hurts to learn the material in great depth. In fact, it helps. Tremendously.

~Thank you for your time and your in-depth response. If you could also let me know how you performed via PM, I would appreciate it. I have already been applying your verbal strategy to my CARS passages and have been noticing significant improvement. So kudos to you. I am sure that you will do well.

I'm glad to report it turned out pretty well! Slightly lower than I'd expected, but a satisfying 96th percentile. I will send out PM of specifics.

Best of all, all science sections were a stunning 131/132. Nearly perfect (I'd say TBR did it's job)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm glad to report it turned out pretty well! Slightly lower than I'd expected, but a satisfying 96th percentile. I will send out PM of specifics
Congratulations! All your hard work paid off. You're an inspiration.

I covered a chapter a day, just like every other subject in the SN2ed guide...

There are a few threads with people asking what they should be doing to prep. This thread pretty much sums up how to get into the right frame of mind and organize your studies.

Looking at some of the things that have been stickied, it would seem this has hit that bar. Maybe in time it will get stickied.
That would be nice. It truly is a compilation of all the advice I could find on this forum plus a little more. This is the one stop shop to the MCAT, and it would be a shame if it disappeared into the abyss of SDN.

I did 3 passages a day in a single sitting. I sometimes would do a second 3 passages. Improvement is slow and tedious. My greatest improvement was when I began to use the "Golden Rule" (read post and link).

Here is a link of a spreadsheet I had made. It's only of the first 3 weeks or so. After awhile, I began to level off between 82-90%.

So basically, you'll see dramatic improvement at first as you hammer out a solid strategy and get used to what's best. After about 3 weeks of that, you're improvement will probably become very slow as it takes time to develop true critical reading skills.

Best post ever! If made a sticky can KoalaT still post? I don't read any other post under MCAT discussions.

@KoalaT Thanks for the advice, I'll keep practicing and try to incorporate the golden rule. Unfortunately, I havent seen much improvement yet as I've been consistently scoring around 60% in EK101 :/

@KoalaT Thanks for the advice, I'll keep practicing and try to incorporate the golden rule. Unfortunately, I havent seen much improvement yet as I've been consistently scoring around 60% in EK101 :/
There's your problem. Don't use EK101 verbal. Possibly the worst verbal book. It's so inconsistent you could never notice if you're improving. The questions are unfair and misleading. Use TPRH or LSAT reading sections.

Haha that definitely makes me feel better! Thanks again for your guide it was really helpful. Good luck applying to schools!

What books did you use for the LSAT verbal review? Thanks!

Also in your post when you say "When you finish the first passage (max of 8 minutes) mark out the 1:27. " what does the 1:27 mean?( 1 min and 27 seconds?) considering you said the first passage should not take you more than 8 minutes. Thanks!

Last edited:
Should have clarified. It's 1 hour and 27 minutes. So you star with 1:35 and after the first passage is done (should be 8 minutes) mark it out. Then if you have 1 hour and 28 minutes left you can feel good that you're good on time. If you have 1 hour and 25 minutes left, you better step it up on the next few passages.

Koala, thanks for the great advice. Could you source us to some LCAT material you found helpful? CARS is definitely going to be a weak spot of mine.

@Saigon I've started using LSAT materials and have found them extremely helpful in understanding how to approach the answers. It made me realize how crappy EK101 is. Anyways, since the LSAC releases all previous exam materials you should get your hands on the official exams since many prep companies don't even write their own exams like they do for the MCAT. I was fortunate to have a friend that had all the exams (70+). So if you want to get your hands on them you could see if you could torrent or they're also sold on the LSAC website.

Reactions: 1 users
@Saigon I've started using LSAT materials and have found them extremely helpful in understanding how to approach the answers. It made me realize how crappy EK101 is. Anyways, since the LSAC releases all previous exam materials you should get your hands on the official exams since many prep companies don't even write their own exams like they do for the MCAT. I was fortunate to have a friend that had all the exams (70+). So if you want to get your hands on them you could see if you could torrent or they're also sold on the LSAC website.

Koala, thanks for the great advice. Could you source us to some LCAT material you found helpful? CARS is definitely going to be a weak spot of mine.

You two should definitely check out TPRH verbal material. I agree though, EK101 is trash.

How many answer choices are there per question on the LSAT materials? Do they still have supported/refuted type questions?
There are 5 answer choices. The answers and questions tend to be wordier too. I didn't notice any obvious supported/refuted questions, so I don't know. There are subtle differences, but I believe the critical reading skills learned are the same.

TPRH Verbal is the best material still though. LSAT is just good if you run out. LSAT > EK verbal

TPRH Verbal is the best material still though. LSAT is just good if you run out. LSAT > EK verbal

What do you think prepared you better: BR passages or Princeton Review Science Hyperlearning workbook (practice passages-wise)?

Thank you and congrats on that awesome score

What do you think prepared you better: BR passages or Princeton Review Science Hyperlearning workbook (practice passages-wise)?

Thank you and congrats on that awesome score
They were different. TBR passages were great for doing immediately after the chapters. They were loaded with detailed questions that specifically refer to material in the chapters (for the most part. You'll notice some "out of right field" questions in there). The BR passages basically helped you put to use the content you were just studying and was a good way of solidifying what you've learned.

Problem is BR passages were absurdly hard and really relied heavily on small details you learned in the previous chapter, which the real MCAT rarely does.

TPRH science workbook is far more realistic. It was easier (probably too easy compared to the real thing) but had a great variety of topics and TONS of passages. Also, it is more realistic in the since that it is heavily passage based with the only outside knowledge being the main concepts of subjects, which is what the real test does. I would create "mini tests" by randomly selecting many passages from different subjects. This was awesome for practice without having to buy expensive full lengths.

In case you were curious about verbal, TPRH verbal all the way. TPRH verbal workbook is by far the best practice for verbal hands down.

Last edited:
They were different. TBR passages were great for doing immediately after the chapters. They were loaded with detailed questions that specifically refer to material in the chapters (for the most part. You'll notice some "out of right field" questions in there). The BR passages basically helped you put to use the content you were just studying and was a good way of solidifying what you've learned.

Problem is BR passages were absurdly hard and really relied heavily on small details you learned in the previous chapter, which is the real MCAT rarely does.

TPRH science workbook is far more realistic. It was easier (probably too easy compared to the real thing) but had a great variety of topics and TONS of passages. Also, it is more realistic in the since that it is heavily passage based with the only outside knowledge being the main concepts of subjects, which is what the real test does. I would create "mini tests" by randomly selecting many passages from different subjects. This was awesome for practice without having to buy expensive full lengths.

In case you were curious about verbal, TPRH verbal all the way. TPRH verbal workbook is by far the best practice for verbal hands down.

Thanks man! I love all your tips too and believe they will help me on verbal (been getting 60-65% right on CARS and need to improve).

My test date is on Aug 5.
Gone through Chem/Physics/Physiology EK book
Gone through Biochem Kaplan book (still need to do Beta Oxidation and Pentose Phosphate pathway tho)
Gone through Psychology Princeton Review Book

I have the princeton review hyperlearning science and verbal workbooks along with the BR Chem, Physics, and Bio books
- Already done with most of Chem 1 Book BR
- Goal is to finish Chem 1 and Chem 2 BR and Bio 2 BR and high yield topics in physics and ochem from BR
Since I've already gone over most material, I can finish 2-3 chapters a day along with the practice passages from that chapter.

I'm also going to start taking 2 nextstep fl a week
(have only taken one full length for nextstep 2 weeks ago and got 125/125/126/127 ----- 503)

I don't know if I have enough time to incorporate Princeton Review science workbook :(
what do you think my best options are?
Should I stick with BR passages or should I start doing PR science workbook passages?