KOH alcohol elimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In DAT destroyer, KOH, alcohol brings elimination and it forms C=C with more substituted carbon thus more stable and i think that's called Zaitchev.

When I googled and found this page
www.funeducation.co.uk/a2resources/resources/organic_a2.ppt
(plz go down to page #13)

it shows that it forms C=C with less substituted carbon and I think that's called hoffman.

which one is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

In DAT destroyer, KOH, alcohol brings elimination and it forms C=C with more substituted carbon thus more stable and i think that's called Zaitchev.

When I googled and found this page
www.funeducation.co.uk/a2resources/resources/organic_a2.ppt
(plz go down to page #13)

it shows that it forms C=C with less substituted carbon and I think that's called hoffman.

which one is correct?

Yes both are correct there is a slight difference here. When a chemist want to make a compound that has a alkene that does not follow zeitchevs rule, they place a very bulky base to eliminate, KOH will not in any case produce a hoffman product its just not bulky enough, however, a t-butoxide on the other hand will give u a hoffman product (also depending on the variables in the reaction).

Yes both are correct there is a slight difference here. When a chemist want to make a compound that has a alkene that does not follow zeitchevs rule, they place a very bulky base to eliminate, KOH will not in any case produce a hoffman product its just not bulky enough, however, a t-butoxide on the other hand will give u a hoffman product (also depending on the variables in the reaction).

Thanks for ur answer.

How should I memorize this though? When I see KOH(alc), should I assume that answer can be either one(hoff and zaitchev).

for your purpoeses any elimination of alcohols will yield zaitchev unless its t-butoxide or LDA. theose 2 will yield hoffman.

Members don't see this ad :)
for your purpoeses any elimination of alcohols will yield zaitchev unless its t-butoxide or LDA. theose 2 will yield hoffman.

Thank you .

But what about CH3-CHCH3-CHBr-CH3? (from the link posted)
this is neither t-butoxide nor LDA (or is it?) but it yields Hoffman.

its bec of the high steric hindrance. don't think you have to worry bout this for the dta. just remember what I told you.

I think I just found out why it can't form C=C with tertiary carbon.
Because that will make it go beyond octet.
(CH3)3 C=C is impossible :)