Kresge vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nystagmeetya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! As the rank list deadline approaches, I wanted to get your input about these two programs. I really liked both, and I thought they had similar 'feels'. I personally thought all the residents seemed quite happy and very busy.

I was curious about your thoughts on these programs. Which would be best for an applicant who wishes to pursue fellowship and has not ruled out an academic career?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! As the rank list deadline approaches, I wanted to get your input about these two programs. I really liked both, and I thought they had similar 'feels'. I personally thought all the residents seemed quite happy and very busy.

I was curious about your thoughts on these programs. Which would be best for an applicant who wishes to pursue fellowship and has not ruled out an academic career?

Do you want to do cornea or retina?

Where do you rather live, Dallas or Detroit?

Both are excellent programs, consider yourself lucky if you match in either of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too agree that both are excellent programs. If you are interested in retina, Kresge is a retina power (and may have a slightly better reputation overall?). Tough call for sure.

Apologies - had been on transitional/prelim interviews.

I appreciate the responses. At this time, I am not sure which fellowship I'd like to pursue, but have an interest in Neuro and Glaucoma.

UTSW has an interesting Neuro-plastics fellowship. Nothing against Detroit, but I preferred Dallas, and I like the idea of having 26 co-residents, so I ranked UTSW higher.

Also, I wish EVERYONE who applied this year the best, and I hope you all match successfully! After interviews, I had an incredibly difficult time coming up with a rank list. I think we are fortunate in that the common theme amongst ophthalmology programs seems to be excellence.

Good luck to you all!