Ksu C/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adOggy07

KSU CVM C/O 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello KSUers!

For others accepted and going to KSU.. I just thought I'd start a thread for us to say hello in. :)

Another thing I wanted to let you guys know was that if you don't already live in Manhattan, KS and plan on doing so for August 2008... I really REALLY suggest that you start looking for housing now! I didn't realize I'd have so much trouble looking for an apartment that takes pets. I guess I just figured since there's a vet school in Manhattan, there's got to be tons of apartments that take pets right? That wasn't the case when I started looking around.. :scared:

I just wanted to leave some useful websites for housing if any of you future KSU people are searching like I am...

http://www.manhattan-ks.net/apartments.html
Basic link for apartments in Manhattan, KS..

http://www.vet.k-state.edu/admit/housing/index.htm
On the right side of the webpage, there are different listings for apartments, apt/duplexes, roomies, houses... I think it's the best for trying to find roommates at KSU if you're looking for one.

http://www.mdiproperties.com/Residential/KS/Manhattan/Apts/
I like this one because it shows a paw print if pets are allowed! Word of caution though... not all those apartments are actually available in August. On the top, there's a link that says "availability". If you click on that, it shows you what is actually available and when. Since I couldn't be available before August, it crossed a lot of the apartments off the list for me.
Also.. if you are looking at the available apartments.. it doesn't show you the paw print thing about pets... so if you click on the individual apartment details and scroll down.. it will tell you about their pet policy.

I found the last website the most helpful in my opinion... a lot of the ones from the first link were already booked for August or didn't take pets. There are a lot of nice housing options though if you don't have pets!

I really suggest starting to look now.. since there are lots of undergrad and grad students also looking for housing at the exact same time... plus their Ft. Riley soldiers are coming in looking for housing as well..

I personally found a place called Winston Place Apartments through the 3rd website... Pat is the apartment manager and she said that she has a few 1 BR/1 Bath and 2 BR/1 Bath left... but not very many... they are pet friendly, although I do think that pets must be under 35 lbs. She said she's getting lots of interests about the remaining apartments and things are going fast... so start searching! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, let's get one thing straight right now. You are a Wildcat or a K-Stater, but not a KSUer!!! Geez, if you talk like that, people are gonna think that there is something wrong with you and that you must attend that other school in Lawrence (you know, the one with the big, goofy looking bird mascot). :D Welcome to K-State and to Manhattan. You made a great choice.

Ok, let's get one thing straight right now. You are a Wildcat or a K-Stater, but not a KSUer!!! Geez, if you talk like that, people are gonna think that there is something wrong with you and that you must attend that other school in Lawrence (you know, the one with the big, goofy looking bird mascot). :D Welcome to K-State and to Manhattan. You made a great choice.

LOL. Sorry! I can't help myself. I add -er to everything. It's a really horrible habit. I guess I'll have to suit myself with K-Stater... hehe. Thanks for the welcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to KSU! I love it here so I hope you will too. Just one suggestion, I had no problem finding an apartment that took animals when I moved out here but I think I got lucky. I have rabbits and apparently quite a few places won't take them. I went to one place where they said, "We take all pets except rabbits, ferrets, and cockatiels". The specificity blew my mind. I know it all depends on the kinds of animals you have but for those who have non cats/dogs it could be a bit more difficult. Just fyi.

Thanks for the welcome River! :D

I was reading some previous threads last year about KSU... is it still true that they don't offer health insurance to their students?! I didn't realize that until now... :confused:

It stinks because I don't even have health insurance now! I was all relieved since I was going to be a student... I thought I'd get health insurance by default... I guess that may not be the case. oy vay. :eek:

It's okay though.. I'm still super excited to start school and STOP WORKING my 2 jobs!! :):):)

I was reading some previous threads last year about KSU... is it still true that they don't offer health insurance to their students?! I didn't realize that until now... :confused:

It stinks because I don't even have health insurance now! I was all relieved since I was going to be a student... I thought I'd get health insurance by default... I guess that may not be the case. oy vay. :eek:

It's okay though.. I'm still super excited to start school and STOP WORKING my 2 jobs!! :):):)

Worst case scenario, SCAVMA offers health insurance to students. Don't sweat...you can get coverage. :)

Worst case scenario, SCAVMA offers health insurance to students. Don't sweat...you can get coverage. :)

I suppose so...! Do you know if most vet schools are this way? Or the other way around?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! My computer has been on the fritz so I can't check my email, or anything else online, from home for the time being. There is no health insurance offered through the school. I have the AVMA insurance which cannot reject you but is expensive. I have had to make a few trips to the health center and not once have I had to fight with them to pay something so at least they have that going for them. :) There is another company that offers insurance and is cheaper monthly but has a higher deductible. (always a trade off isn't there) I don't remember the name but I'll be happy to ask around for you if you like! Anymore questions don't hesistate to ask! Look forward to meeting you.

Hey everyone!

I am so glad you started a K-State thread! I am so excited to be there next year and can't wait to meet everyone! Anyways, have any of you received information (via mail, email, etc) about next year? I used my home address in Ohio as the place to mail things, but I'm in San Diego still, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to K-State, you're going to love it. (minus the weather, you'll figure that out when you get here)

You probably won't recieve anything until June/July. I think that is when I started getting the book list and some other stuff about orientation.

As posted previously, start looking for housing now, especially if you have pets. Leases will becoming up in May and they go quickly during the summer.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

So some of us 2011er's found the site with your class on it. It's probably not official yet... our class changed a little bit between this time last year and August but I thought it was nice to see the faces of the people I would be seeing everyday for the next 4 years :D. Anyway congratulations and hope to meet you all in August.

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/handbook/students/composites.asp?class=2012

Hey everyone!

I am so glad you started a K-State thread! I am so excited to be there next year and can't wait to meet everyone! Anyways, have any of you received information (via mail, email, etc) about next year? I used my home address in Ohio as the place to mail things, but I'm in San Diego still, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. Thanks for your help!

Hello!

I haven't gotten anything yet. I talked to the lady at the office and she said that info would go out late May. :)

Did you interview on the weekend of 1/19th? I remember meeting someone from San Diego. :D

So some of us 2011er's found the site with your class on it. It's probably not official yet... our class changed a little bit between this time last year and August but I thought it was nice to see the faces of the people I would be seeing everyday for the next 4 years :D. Anyway congratulations and hope to meet you all in August.

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/handbook/students/composites.asp?class=2012

That is awesome! Thanks for posting that. :) I think I'm the only asian girl in the class. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to mention I got my financial aid package in the mail today... also created my email through KSU! I think it's kind of cool how we can decide what we want our email to be. :D

That's true for your K-State email account, but most people hardly ever use it. Instead, most people have it automatically forwarded to the @vet.k-state.edu email account, which is the one the instructors use. of course, it's up to you if you want to use both separately! :)

I was all excited, too, then sad that I didn't get to choose my vet account--but it worked out well for me in the end (easy last name). In case you're curious, it's generally the first letter of your first name and up to the first seven letters of your last name--unless your last name is really common, and then it's a bit different.

Yay for getting info and $$$!!!! :) You guys are getting close...!!

That's true for your K-State email account, but most people hardly ever use it. Instead, most people have it automatically forwarded to the @vet.k-state.edu email account, which is the one the instructors use. of course, it's up to you if you want to use both separately! :)

Darn.. I totally was so excited...! Oh well, that's okay. My @vet.k-state.edu email should still be fairly easy too. Thanks for the info. :)

i'm not a k-stater, but couldn't you have whichever one you want, forward to the other email?

Or even better, just have them both forward to a gmail account? You can set up gmail so that you can then send from whatever email you want (your @gmail.com, your @kstate.edu, or your @vet.kstate.edu) and can specify any of them as your default. Lots of control... and no one would ever know that you were doing it through gmail! plus, then you get the much more convenient interface at your fingertips!

Yeah, I would love to do that, too, but the school's webserver won't allow it t be forwarded to an outside email account. That is, you can forward from @.k-state.edu to @vet.k-state.edu or vice-versa--I THINK--but you can't forward it to a commercial account. Don't ask me what the deal is with the technology--I don't understand it. :)

I hate our server--Novell--and they're changing it over this summer, so perhaps/hopefully this might change by the fall, come to think of it.

I know you can have the regular K-State email address forward to other domains, like AOL. I was doing that until we got our @vet.ksu-edu emails (which, btw, is equal to @vet.k-state.edu - same difference).

Not sure if you can forward the @vet one to other domains...

Just FYI, last year, my award package changed at least once online (can't recall if it was before or after I accepted it initially). It didn't get worse. I think they added in something. I may've posted about it here back then, but I don't remember what it was that changed.

And, for this coming year, it looks pretty much status-quo for me, which I guess is a good thing. I will just have to decide how much of a GradPLUS loan I'm going to do this time.

:thumbup:

I know you can have the regular K-State email address forward to other domains, like AOL. I was doing that until we got our @vet.ksu-edu emails (which, btw, is equal to @vet.k-state.edu - same difference).

Not sure if you can forward the @vet one to other domains...

Just FYI, last year, my award package changed at least once online (can't recall if it was before or after I accepted it initially). It didn't get worse. I think they added in something. I may've posted about it here back then, but I don't remember what it was that changed.

And, for this coming year, it looks pretty much status-quo for me, which I guess is a good thing. I will just have to decide how much of a GradPLUS loan I'm going to do this time.

:thumbup:

I did a rough calculation of how much more I will need on top of the loans I've received in my award package and it looks like I will need about 7500 more... scary! I hope my award package doesn't change for the worse.. because I need every penny of it.

I'm going to call the financial aid office tomorrow and see if they can give me an accurate amount of how much more I will need and see when and if my award package will change...? :p

Your $7500 figure sounds about right, or within reason.

I ended up borrowing roughly an additional $10k on the GradPLUS loan because I was afraid of running out of money or not borrowing enough this my first year.

I was approved for the GradPLUS via SallieMae (God help me) on my own. If you have decent enough credit, I think that's how it goes. If not, I think you can assign a co-signer or apply with your parents, etc. Just FYI.

Of course, if you can beg off that $ from family... well... less borrowed = less owed later ;)

Hi, Cookie! Glad I'm not the only one of us up this late! :) Hope you're feeling better...!!!

I borrowed exactly $10K in gradPLUS loans on top of my financial aid package--same thing as Cookie: afraid of running out, especially with possible unforeseen moving expenses (which did happen), etc. So I think your $7,500 figure sounds about right, too. :)

Your $7500 figure sounds about right, or within reason.

I ended up borrowing roughly an additional $10k on the GradPLUS loan because I was afraid of running out of money or not borrowing enough this my first year.

I was approved for the GradPLUS via SallieMae (God help me) on my own. If you have decent enough credit, I think that's how it goes. If not, I think you can assign a co-signer or apply with your parents, etc. Just FYI.

Of course, if you can beg off that $ from family... well... less borrowed = less owed later ;)

I wish my family could give me $$ for school! These are the times where I wish I had a super rich and nice uncle in the family. :) Unfortunately not my case!

School loans sound pretty scary, but I'll see how it goes.. :scared:

I borrowed exactly $10K in gradPLUS loans on top of my financial aid package--same thing as Cookie: afraid of running out, especially with possible unforeseen moving expenses (which did happen), etc. So I think your $7,500 figure sounds about right, too. :)

I'm almost tempted to just add another $2000. Only because... what's another 2 grand anyway when I'm going to be in the hole 200 grand when I'm done! :p

yay! I got my packet from KSU yesterday!

I'm a little confused about something... it said that we might be on call or have to spend time overnight in clinics? How do we know if we will be doing that for sure or not? They made it sound like it would depend...

For KSU C/O 2011... do you remember having to do that during orientation? :)

I'm a little confused about something... it said that we might be on call or have to spend time overnight in clinics? How do we know if we will be doing that for sure or not? They made it sound like it would depend...

During orientation you will have to follow your 4th year around for 2 days. If they are on call, you will be on call. Your 4th year will be assigned to you when you get here. Some 4th years told their freshman to go home waaaaay early on their rotations, at noon or something like that, and they had no problems. I was put on orthopedic rotation and elected to leave a half hour early (you are supossed to be there from 8-5) because one of my rabbits was sick and my student told me I could go. Found out later that the clinician was very upset with me and actually wrote an email about me to the dean. So I would recommend staying all the way until 5. :) But it is a lot of fun and most of the clinicians are very laid back. Just not on orthopedic, but that's to be expected I guess.

My senior was actually 'off' for that week from rotations, so I tagged along with some others in radiology. Got to see rads, and a CT scan or two, and everyone was really nice and friendly. I believe on the second day, things got slow and there wasn't much to do, and I think either clinician or seniors told me I could split. I think it was then that I followed a horse who had rads back over to the equine unit, and ended up staying there for awhile and liking that!

So, none of the seniors I found were on call, so I wasn't on-call. At that point, I may not have minded, because things hadn't gotten intense yet.

Unrelatedly:
Honestly, I have to say that the sheer volume/material was alot for me to adjust to. For instance, me personally, if you have time to start learning dog bones (and features of the dog bones) towards August, go for it, because that was our first exam - the anatomy 'bones' test. And I was completely new to anatomy. So if there's anything you want to dabble with this summer, or close to August, the blue Dog dissection (Uhh, Evans/Millers) guide is your friend.

The first week of orientation was orientation... and then, for me, all of the sudden, the 'temperature' dial zoomed from around 10 to 200, real fast, once classes started!

But do enjoy the summer, as others have advised (as do I). :)
There's time for stressin' later :laugh: