KYCOM vs TouroCOM-NY Harlem vs BCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

substatus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I could use any help on how to make the best decision regarding which medical school I should attend.

Some goals: practice in a lively place, have a good chance at competitive residency programs, good research opportunities, and currently interested in psychiatry, OB/Gyn, or orthopedics.

KYCOM
Pros:
- KYCOM advantage (iPad, pay for board prep/exams)
- great match rate
- low tuition
- more established
- exams are monthly
Cons:
- super rural, population of like ~7,000 (don’t know if it’d be good for my mental health)
- focus on primary care and rotations mainly in Kentucky and rural areas
- not much diversity (I’m middle eastern)
- mandatory lectures

TouroCOM-NY
Pros:
- live in New York City and have many options to meet people/see new places
- research can be done at top programs such as NYU
- many friends live there, so I would have a good support system
- competitive residency matches
- diverse patient population and unique community engagement
Cons:
- exams every week and bookend exams
- high tuition and cost of living (more debt)
- city might just be a bit too overwhelming/loud and not used to public transportation

BCOM
Pros:
- New Mexico is very diverse, large immigrant population I’d like to work with
- recorded lectures
- setting up own GME and residency slots
- rotations in major cities such as Tucson, AZ
- warm weather (come from Midwest)
- NMSU research opportunities and access
- low cost of living
Cons:
- newer school, not as established
- 85% pass rate and ~20% of students haven’t been matching/are failing out or repeating
- bookend exams
- high tuition and for profit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does the region where you want to do residency matter to you? What’s the tuition difference ?

Does the region where you want to do residency matter to you? What’s the tuition difference ?
Sort of. Working/living in a metropolitan area would be nice. I'm open to the east coast, west coast, even staying in the midwest. I just don't want to practice somewhere very rural or southern where there is not much diversity. Tuition at KYCOM is 50,000 with estimated total at 70,000. BCOM tuition is 58,000 with estimated total at 82,000, and TouroCOM tuition is ~60,000 with estimated total at 107,000. Tuition at Touro does increase about 10,000 for the 3rd and 4th years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say either KYCOM or Touro. Touro has more of an edge in terms of practicing in less rural settings.

BCOM is a good school, but it needs some more years to get through the issue of 4 year graduation rate and first time pass rate.

I do not attend either school, just looked at their match lists.

I would say either KYCOM or Touro. Touro has more of an edge in terms of practicing in less rural settings.

BCOM is a good school, but it needs some more years to get through the issue of 4 year graduation rate and first time pass rate.

I do not attend either school, just looked at their match lists.
Yeah, I would have liked BCOM if they were more established and their rates were higher. Thank you for your insight!

Also, see which school will help you to excel with step 2. I hate to be that person that emphasizes step 2, but as DO students boards should be one of our main priorities. Does any give you time off for step 2?

Hey everyone! I could use any help on how to make the best decision regarding which medical school I should attend.

Some goals: practice in a lively place, have a good chance at competitive residency programs, good research opportunities, and currently interested in psychiatry, OB/Gyn, or orthopedics.

KYCOM
Pros:
- KYCOM advantage (iPad, pay for board prep/exams)
- great match rate
- low tuition
- more established
- exams are monthly
Cons:
- super rural, population of like ~7,000 (don’t know if it’d be good for my mental health)
- focus on primary care and rotations mainly in Kentucky and rural areas
- not much diversity (I’m middle eastern)
- mandatory lectures

TouroCOM-NY
Pros:
- live in New York City and have many options to meet people/see new places
- research can be done at top programs such as NYU
- many friends live there, so I would have a good support system
- competitive residency matches
- diverse patient population and unique community engagement
Cons:
- exams every week and bookend exams
- high tuition and cost of living (more debt)
- city might just be a bit too overwhelming/loud and not used to public transportation

BCOM
Pros:
- New Mexico is very diverse, large immigrant population I’d like to work with
- recorded lectures
- setting up own GME and residency slots
- rotations in major cities such as Tucson, AZ
- warm weather (come from Midwest)
- NMSU research opportunities and access
- low cost of living
Cons:
- newer school, not as established
- 85% pass rate and ~20% of students haven’t been matching/are failing out or repeating
- bookend exams
- high tuition and for profit
I can't recommend BCOM (or any other for profit school), period.
Touro-Ny is more in tune with your goals.

Mandatory lectures you can survive, but Gawd, that's so 19th Century

Reactions: 1 user
Also, see which school will help you to excel with step 2. I hate to be that person that emphasizes step 2, but as DO students boards should be one of our main priorities. Does any give you time off for step 2?
I have to take a look at each school to find that out, but good idea to look into!

I can't recommend BCOM (or any other for profit school), period.
Touro-Ny is more in tune with your goals.

Mandatory lectures you can survive, but Gawd, that's so 19th Century
Thanks Goro! Any reservations about KYCOM?