L.O.R. from a non-science prof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont know if anyone has been in this situation, but i'm taking postbacc science classes because i was an economics major and needed the science prereqs.. i've already started to think about who i'm going to get recommendations from out of my 2 science profs that i've had who i've had a good relationship with, but the 1 non-science professor LOR requirement from some of the schools i'm interested in kind of worries me.

i graduated 2 years ago and really dont keep in touch with the teachers that i had during undergrad-- not to mention the fact that i havent seen them in so long and they probably forgot who i was.. as for this 1 nonscience LOR, what do you guys think i should do?

Members don't see this ad.

chuckcamp said:
i dont know if anyone has been in this situation, but i'm taking postbacc science classes because i was an economics major and needed the science prereqs.. i've already started to think about who i'm going to get recommendations from out of my 2 science profs that i've had who i've had a good relationship with, but the 1 non-science professor LOR requirement from some of the schools i'm interested in kind of worries me.

i graduated 2 years ago and really dont keep in touch with the teachers that i had during undergrad-- not to mention the fact that i havent seen them in so long and they probably forgot who i was.. as for this 1 nonscience LOR, what do you guys think i should do?

I'd guess you wouldn't be the first student to ask for a letter and not have the professor particularly remember you. You need the letter, may as well ask for it.

I remember one of my secondaries (KCOM I think) said I could substitute an employers letter if needed. Maybe your school would have another option? You could always call and ask. I think it is respectable for you to want a letter with substance instead of asking for something to simply fulfill a requirement. If I were on an adcom I would appreciate your desire to do it right and wouldn't mind the question. But that is just me... good luck!