Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

LA programs--please help!

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by californiamaybe, Nov 25, 2005.

1. californiamaybe

californiamaybe New Member

Hi--Im thinking about LA programs but since i am from the South I really dont know anything about the programs out there. Specifically, I'm interested in Ceders-Sinai, UCLA-Harbor and UCLA-San Fernando, since these are where I'll be interviweing. How are these programs in terms of ranking in California, fellowship placement, and overall reputation? Also, what exactly is the nature of the relationship between UCLA and these programs, and what patient populations to they serve? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ucla2usc

ucla2usc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

UCLA Harbor: used to be a "premier" IM program in the 80's. Today it is still very good, though not quite a top academic style program. They work very very very hard, and the residents are among the best trained in the country. The fellowship placement is pretty good, most people can land Cards, though not at top academic centers. From what I hear, the residents are very happy there, and finish with loads of confidence.

Cedars: a community program with a heavy academic focus, including big time basic science research. They have very very happy residents who get great fellowships, probably attribute to the allstar faculty which attend at Cedars. The program is super cush, and that may be good or bad depending on what you want from residency.

Olive view: a good county program, though definitely the least prestigous program of these three. The program is known for not working residents to death, and still giving them a decent education. The patients are virtually all spanish speaking. It is less competitive than the other two im program above, and the fellowships are not as great as the other two either, though you could still possible land cards/gi if you are good. I hear people are happy there for the most part, and the UCLA residents enjoy rotating when the go over. You will also get a chance to rotate at UCLA if you are an olive view resident.