La,sa,sr,tr,er,xl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dumbguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the differences between them? and are there any more? Are some of them equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

what are the differences between them? and are there any more? Are some of them equivalent?

yes - there are more - extentabs, lontabs, etc....These are trademarked abbreviations & are descriptive of that product only. Be careful - one company can use SR for one thing and another company willl use ER for the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
They all mean the same thing and different things.

It's like Confucius or something...

Yes, Grasshopper. (That reference will probably escape you, sorry. Kung Fu circa 1972.):laugh:

yes - there are more - extentabs, lontabs, etc....These are trademarked abbreviations & are descriptive of that product only. Be careful - one company can use SR for one thing and another company willl use ER for the same thing.

sr means sustained release
er means extended release
so they are pretty much the same thing?

Nope - the abbreviations only mean what that particular company wants them to mean.

Depakote EC & Erythrocin EC mean different things relative to each other.

Again - these abbreviations are not uniform throughout pharmaceutical naming nomenclature - they are part of a patented name.

It just means that the pharmaceutical company is utilizing some sort of dispersion technology that delays absorption to some extent. To what extent is arbitrary. It gives companies like Mylan a bloody headache trying to find a way to emulate the absorption using another method to get a generic AB rated. When I was hanging out with the R&D guys they told me they spent years trying to figure out Pfizer's Procardia XL.

This is fascinating. I do remember while studying for my technician's license that there were ratings for generic drugs- I remember Synthroid, Levothroid, Levothyroxine were only slight analogs. Maybe it has something to do with the enantiomersim of the drug (ie Levo, left polaring..Not even 100% sure if you can translate this literally). Anyhow, can someone post the information that expalins the difference between ratings for generics and bioequivalencies? That would be good to brush up on right now.

This is fascinating. I do remember while studying for my technician's license that there were ratings for generic drugs- I remember Synthroid, Levothroid, Levothyroxine were only slight analogs. Maybe it has something to do with the enantiomersim of the drug (ie Levo, left polaring..Not even 100% sure if you can translate this literally). Anyhow, can someone post the information that expalins the difference between ratings for generics and bioequivalencies? That would be good to brush up on right now.

Here ya go - its in the Orange Book:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/orange/

I remember Synthroid, Levothroid, Levothyroxine were only slight analogs. Maybe it has something to do with the enantiomersim of the drug (ie Levo, left polaring..Not even 100% sure if you can translate this literally).
These 3 aren't analogs...they are all the same exact chemical. Synthroid and Levothroid are just brand names of levothyroxine...they are all stereochemically levo because that's the biological active form, even if Synthroid hasn't incorporated that into the brand name. They're not all AB rated, not because of the chemical structure itself, but because of variable and erratic bioavailability. I think this is mainly because some products vary more in actual drug contration from batch to batch than others do, and since the relationship between free levothyroxine and TSH isn't linear, we want as tight of control as possible.