Lab Animal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbapunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a pre-vet currently accepted at Ohio, Penn and Michigan. Any opinions on the lab animal opportunities at these schools, or the schools in general (why you picked them etc)? Any information will help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet is going to be to contact each of your schools. All of those schools are pretty big into research, so they must have lab animal vets on campus. You could try looking on their web sites or calling the dean's office to find out who teaches the vet school's lab animal medicine courses. Contact those faculty and ask them about opportunities. What lecture and lab courses are offered? Do they offer lab animal clinical rotations? What range of species do they have at the school? What about employment opportunities or "treatment crew" positions for vet students?

If the vet school doesn't offer any lab animal medicine courses, well, that says something right there. But still those schools all have research going on, so you could try contacting the campus veterinarian (you'll probably have better luck doing this through the vet school dean's office, contact info for lab animal vets is usually pretty protected for obvious reasons). Ask whether you'd be able to set up a clinical rotation at their lab animal facility, and try to gauge how much mentorship you could expect to get from the lab animal vets if lab animals aren't covered in the formal curriculum. If it's a tracking school and there's no lab animal or research track, then make sure they have an "independent" track you could tailor to meet your interests.

Hello all, I'm a pre-vet currently accepted at Ohio, Penn and Michigan. Any opinions on the lab animal opportunities at these schools, or the schools in general (why you picked them etc)? Any information will help!

Ohio and Penn both have lab animal residencies. Michigan is very close with the University of Michigan, which has an awesome residency (okay maybe I am biased) program. You can read about the respective programs here:

http://www.aslap.org/OnePage.php

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I am at Penn and they have pretty good opportunities for 1st and 2nd years to get involved in lab animal medicine. Penn has a summer externship for LAM for 2 students (generally 2nd years and not just from Penn so an option even if you go somewhere else). I think one of the great things about Penn is that it is surrounded by pharmaceutical and medical companies, a lot of which employ lab animal vets. Bristol-Meyer-Squib is just over the river in NJ as well as Merck and others so getting a summer externship is possible. The LAM club also has events to get people more info about being a lab animal vet. I came in to school strongly considering LAM but have gotten away from it for other reasons (none having to do with Penn) but I have friends that are strongly interested in LAM and I could get you more info if needed. Send me a PM if you want.