Lab courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tickytocky5403

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dentists and Dental Students,

Hope all is well. I'm a pre-dental undergrad, but it has occurred to me that I don't enjoy labs in which I read and follow procedures without much guidance. Labs are dreadful to me. I am wondering how are the lab classes structured in dental school? I might have to reconsider my career path...

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Members don't see this ad.

I hated labs. I had Cs in them too.

Not really the same here. Plus its more relatable and fun. Frustrating, but relatable and fun. At the same time, I'm only first year. with only 1 lab class a semester.

Reactions: 1 user
I hated labs. I had Cs in them too.

Not really the same here. Plus its more relatable and fun. Frustrating, but relatable and fun. At the same time, I'm only first year. with only 1 lab class a semester.
Hi Faux, thank you so much for responding!! This is so helpful! I am applying to dental school this June. My school does not have much pre-dent community (there are sooo few of us), I am wondering if you can help me out here. I need to make a list of dental schools (well looking at my low sGPA, I should probably apply to nearly all and MAYBE 1 will accept me). I am wondering which dental school are you at? Do you have block exam days?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated labs too. We don't have any lab classes at Roseman. Only SIM lab twice a week. Also I would just look at applying to your state school of you have one and then mostly private schools if you have lower stats. You can also look for state schools that accept many OOS students like UNLV

Sent from my 710C using SDN mobile

Hi Faux, thank you so much for responding!! This is so helpful! I am applying to dental school this June. My school does not have much pre-dent community (there are sooo few of us), I am wondering if you can help me out here. I need to make a list of dental schools (well looking at my low sGPA, I should probably apply to nearly all and MAYBE 1 will accept me). I am wondering which dental school are you at? Do you have block exam days?

UB. I'm not sure what you mean about block exams. We have a range of topics for a particular class and take an exam on it.

UB. I'm not sure what you mean about block exams. We have a range of topics for a particular class and take an exam on it.
what I mean by block exams is that the exams are not spread out, there is a week where you have all the exams.

I hated labs too. We don't have any lab classes at Roseman. Only SIM lab twice a week. Also I would just look at applying to your state school of you have one and then mostly private schools if you have lower stats. You can also look for state schools that accept many OOS students like UNLV

Hi my sGPA is 3.15 and overall: 3.467. I feel I can't get in anywhere. I am kind of lost right now. Do you have any insights on this?

Hi my sGPA is 3.15 and overall: 3.467. I feel I can't get in anywhere. I am kind of lost right now. Do you have any insights on this?
It really depends on your whole app like dat score, experience, etc. If you apply broadly and don't get in then think about a 1 year masters. There are several students in my class that did I that

It really depends on your whole app like dat score, experience, etc. If you apply broadly and don't get in then think about a 1 year masters. There are several students in my class that did I that

Thanks!! Did they end up getting in after the masters program? I might just apply for the masters programs..

Thanks!! Did they end up getting in after the masters program? I might just apply for the masters programs..
My extracurriculars are pretty strong. Haven't taken the DAT yet. Haven't started studying yet. Do you have any tips on how to score high on the DAT?