Lab doesn’t need me, keeps cancelling shifts. Should I leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So my primary lab is going well, I’ve been interning there for about a year. However, since I’m only working there part time over the summer, I decided to seek out another lab to get some experience in. It was going well at first but now there’s just nothing for me to do. The lab has very few participants coming in. They canceled two of my shifts this week. There is still two months left of summer and I’m in a city chock full of research labs. Should I apply to help somewhere else and leave this lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you spoken with the PI about the lack of work? Perhaps there are other lab duties that you could engage in.

The PI is never even there. Everyone leaves the lab super early these days. There’s just not much to do

Members don't see this ad :)
The PI is never even there. Everyone leaves the lab super early these days. There’s just not much to do
Is there a graduate student or a senior or staff RA to whom you could talk about adding more duties?

Yeah, I'd say send an email to the PI, postdoc, or grad student there. I have never been in any spot where there was little work to be done in a lab. Even if a certain project is having a lull in recruitment, there are always things to do in research (e.g., lit reviews, etc). I have always appreciated these emails from research trainees at any stage.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you could reach out elsewhere - although if it is just for summer, most labs likely won't see too much value in investing time in training you, etc.. for only 8 weeks of part-time work.