Lab names A POLL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I need to name my lab?

• Yes. It must be an acronym. That is the way.

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Yes. Please for the love of god not another acronym.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Yes. It can just be your name though because narcissism.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No. Denial forever.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other, see comment

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Of note, my phone autocorrected the title to "Lab madness" and I almost left it.

Real talk: I am a PI for a few years now and I'm coming around to the idea that maybe I lead a lab and I'm not just some random semi-adult with a group of younger semi-adults doing random science stuff.

Poll closes in seven days. Decide my lab's fate.*

* this is actually only true if you are on my study section

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How about something like "Not a Research Lab"? Or "I Can't Believe It's Not a Research Lab"!

Let's face it, if I had a lab I'd for sure name it after a classic Simpsons reference.

Reactions: 4 users
How about something like "Not a Research Lab"? Or "I Can't Believe It's Not a Research Lab"!

Let's face it, if I had a lab I'd for sure name it after a classic Simpsons reference.

I think we all know the correct answer is “Max Power”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I voted for acronym because tradition. I really need to prioritize doing this myself (along with a proper lab website) too so thank you for the prompt. Its just been too haphazardly grown, I've been too strapped for time to do this kind of big-picture thinking and being part of a center makes it a little awkward since it feels like I'm carving out an enclave and declaring myself a sovereign center member. Also, AMCs are weird and I worry someone would freak out if I make a logo with the wrong shade of red or I mention an academic collaboration with a football rival, etc. I can go through the official university process to do it and 5+ years from now they'll come back with something that looks like a logo my 2-year old drew (and a website he built using Frontpage '97 that I'd be too embarrassed to push live!).

Fun idea I did with my folks (even if I didn't follow through). Crowdsource coming up with names for the lab to members of said lab. $20 amazon gift card for the best name. $10 for the worst one. Bonus points if it spells something offensive or exceedingly counter to the mission of the lab. Only a few people got into it, but I did get some ideas. Also - know your lab members. The latter could go badly depending on your audience. I had a pretty chill group of people with a dark/twisted sense of humor that matches my own so felt OK doing it and people appreciated the opportunity not to take it too seriously.

Team Discovery Channel!

Reactions: 1 users
I once tried to convince someone to name their lab the "Family Affect, Reward, and Trauma Lab." They did not go with that name.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Name it Black Lab and bring one of these with you everywhere as the mascot:

images

Reactions: 4 users
I voted for acronym because tradition. I really need to prioritize doing this myself (along with a proper lab website) too so thank you for the prompt. Its just been too haphazardly grown, I've been too strapped for time to do this kind of big-picture thinking and being part of a center makes it a little awkward since it feels like I'm carving out an enclave and declaring myself a sovereign center member. Also, AMCs are weird and I worry someone would freak out if I make a logo with the wrong shade of red or I mention an academic collaboration with a football rival, etc. I can go through the official university process to do it and 5+ years from now they'll come back with something that looks like a logo my 2-year old drew (and a website he built using Frontpage '97 that I'd be too embarrassed to push live!).

Fun idea I did with my folks (even if I didn't follow through). Crowdsource coming up with names for the lab to members of said lab. $20 amazon gift card for the best name. $10 for the worst one. Bonus points if it spells something offensive or exceedingly counter to the mission of the lab. Only a few people got into it, but I did get some ideas. Also - know your lab members. The latter could go badly depending on your audience. I had a pretty chill group of people with a dark/twisted sense of humor that matches my own so felt OK doing it and people appreciated the opportunity not to take it too seriously.
I named one of my supervisor's labs and without this level prompting, my own list of suggestions was mostly inappropriate.

This is why I'm not sure I can be trusted with my own. 😶

Edited to add: I'm also part of a larger big lab and have collaborations with others that make this feel weird. I get it.

Edited to add: I'm also part of a larger big lab and have collaborations with others that make this feel weird. I get it.
I have this setup too. We're a loose group of 5-6 faculty with RPGs that focus on related topics. We are CoIs on each other's projects and there is a lot of sharing of research coordinators and other resources. I like it a lot. It really takes the stress out of being responsible for personnel.

I once tried to convince someone to name their lab the "Family Affect, Reward, and Trauma Lab." They did not go with that name.
For my masters thesis, I developed an instrument for analyzing the function of aggression in institutionalized elderly. I proposed naming it the Function of Aggression Rating Tool- which was deemed to juvenile- or the Judicious Evaluation of the Function of Fighting- which was too narcissistic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
*punches you*

The Lab That Couldn’t Slow Down!

For some reason, this reminded of my very pleasant discovery this weekend that all the seasons of Mythbusters are on the HBO/Max app.

Reactions: 1 user
For my masters thesis, I developed an instrument for analyzing the function of aggression in institutionalized elderly. I proposed naming it the Function of Aggression Rating Tool- which was deemed to juvenile- or the Judicious Evaluation of the Function of Fighting- which was too narcissistic.
Tom Tombaugh would like a word with whoever said the JEFF would be too narcissistic

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Tombaugh hasn't wanted a word with anyone for 15 years now.

Have you checked your ouija board recently? You never know.

Also does Tombaugh get double credit or half credit since both names have Tom in it?

Last edited: