Lab Material ..... is it neccessary for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CindyLieu

Absolutely insane, and I’m ok with that
Reaction score
Hello

My pre-reqs are kind of dusty so I plan to audit them to brush up on the sciences. I was thinking online since that would work better for me and it's just an audit, but how important is the lab material when taking the MCAT? Is it enough to just brush up with the lectures?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

An audit might be unnecessary. You'd be surprised what will come back to you if you did well in the pre-reqs to begin with. Knowing the basics of lab methods (mostly bio) is important. Things like what is the purpose of PCR, how does gel electrophoresis work, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
An audit might be unnecessary. You'd be surprised what will come back to you if you did well in the pre-reqs to begin with. Knowing the basics of lab methods (mostly bio) is important. Things like what is the purpose of PCR, how does gel electrophoresis work, etc.

I looked at some questions on AAMC. Yeah.......no.... I need the audit. :laugh::laugh: Plus it will serve as the base of MCAT prep. I feel like we covered lab methods and how they work in lecture and were "hands on" in the lab. Think that would be enough?

Reactions: 1 user
I looked at some questions on AAMC. Yeah.......no.... I need the audit. :laugh::laugh: Plus it will serve as the base of MCAT prep. I feel like we covered lab methods and how they work in lecture and were "hands on" in the lab. Think that would be enough?

You will need to review when it gets closer to your test date, but you should be fine. The reason I don't recommend an Audit is the MCAT is a mile wide and an inch deep. The prereq classes go into much more depth than is needed. If you just want to relearn the material with KA or a set of MCAT books that is sufficient, but ultimately it is up to you. Only you know what you know!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

My pre-reqs are kind of dusty so I plan to audit them to brush up on the sciences. I was thinking online since that would work better for me and it's just an audit, but how important is the lab material when taking the MCAT? Is it enough to just brush up with the lectures?

Thank you

No I wouldn't take classes to brush up on the science, read books/do anki/practice problems. @Cornfed101 's comment about a mile wide an inch deep is spot on.

You need to know all of the chromatography, gel electrophoresis, IR/NMR/UV, Blues Clues, Tollens, Distillation, Extraction, etc but you can learn that in a day or two.

Reactions: 2 users
No I wouldn't take classes to brush up on the science, read books/do anki/practice problems. @Cornfed101 's comment about a mile wide an inch deep is spot on.

You need to know all of the chromatography, gel electrophoresis, IR/NMR/UV, Blues Clues, Tollens, Distillation, Extraction, etc but you can learn that in a day or two.

I havent bought test prep yet, would you say these things are typically covered in subject focused test prep or moreso textbooks or "for dummies" guides?

Thank you

This. I prepped with the EK books back in the day and that was plenty sufficient for reviewing lab techniques. Read a book, watch a couple of YouTube videos and move on. Auditing would be incredibly inefficient.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

This. I prepped with the EK books back in the day and that was plenty sufficient for reviewing lab techniques. Read a book, watch a couple of YouTube videos and move on. Auditing would be incredibly inefficient.

Med School Tutors

Alright..... I’m going to give it a go with some studying. I’ve been a nurse for 5 years so I’ve been out of science courses for quit a bit and just reading a couple practice questions made me nervous. I want my first attempt to be strong and my only attempt at the MCAT.

Alright..... I’m going to give it a go with some studying. I’ve been a nurse for 5 years so I’ve been out of science courses for quit a bit and just reading a couple practice questions made me nervous. I want my first attempt to be strong and my only attempt at the MCAT.

As a former nurse you are going to be ahead of the game once you get in. Med students are generally clueless about clinical life until 4th year.

But yeah, youtube videos are your friends. UWorld too. Khan Academy also has a very good selection for visual learners.

Med School Tutors