Lab Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohlo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have graduated and finished all of the prerequisite classes for medical school minus two labs, Chem and Bio... I have taken a full year+ of both of these subjects, but have not had a formal lab class which tends to be required for medical school admission.

Here's the catch:

1. I have worked in a bio lab for the past 2 years and have a publication in a peer-reviewed journal

2. I spent a summer in an organic chem lab doing all of the basic experiments they would have you do in a class.

Whats the probability med schools will consider these experiences sufficient for the "+lab" component of the prereqs? I really don't want to spend money on classes, nor do i want to sit through boring classes teaching me how to do experiments i already know...

I realize I could call each school and ask this, and probably will in the end anyway, but I just wanted to ask here first

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They are called prerequisites for a reason. Some schools will look at past work and make exceptions for special circumstances; however, this is the exception rather than the rule (many schools expect you to complete the prerequisites, period).

For the answer you are looking for, you will have to call individual schools.

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer