Lab Research Assistant questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissPenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a sophomore at my university. I have always heard that research assistants help a lot when people apply for grad. school. There are few research projects available at my uni. I was wondering what is the best one. I understand people say pick the one I enjoy the most, what if I am not really interest in any of those or I am interested in all of those? How do I make it that they will accept me as a research assistant? All I really want is gain experience through lab research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently a sophomore at my university. I have always heard that research assistants help a lot when people apply for grad. school. There are few research projects available at my uni. I was wondering what is the best one. I understand people say pick the one I enjoy the most, what if I am not really interest in any of those or I am interested in all of those? How do I make it that they will accept me as a research assistant? All I really want is gain experience through lab research. Thanks.

It's all about presentation. Play up your good qualities and show them how you can add something useful to their lab.

I understand people say pick the one I enjoy the most, what if I am not really interest in any of those or I am interested in all of those? How do I make it that they will accept me as a research assistant? All I really want is gain experience through lab research. Thanks.

I actually did a Directed Research position at a project I wasn't sure I would like but it turned out to be wonderful project. And then I was hired after my first semester.

If you have directed research opportunities at your school you could try for those as well, unless you need the paycheck. In my school many labs wont take students unless they have had statistics and research methods so make sure you have a stats background. If not, its all in the way that you present yourself, not looking too desperate but making them know you're willing to learn and that you are mature and responsible to work on the research project.

It will be like any other interview, really.

Agreed with the previous posters. Just be professional and let them know about your positive qualities and interest in their lab. Also be honest with them and yourself. Try not to apply to a lab that you hate because that will be bad for everyone. Find something that really does interest you and within reason present yourself as you are.