Labeling Cranial Nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shigella123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did I label it correctly? I attached the picture to this post.

A-3- Oculomotor
B-5- Trigeminal
C-6- Abducens
D-8- Vestibulococlear ---or Facial?
E-9- Glossopharyngeal?
F-12- Hypoglossal
G-11- Accessory

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did I label it correctly? I attached the picture to this post.

A-3- Oculomotor
B-5- Trigeminal
C-6- Abducens
D-8- Vestibulococlear ---or Facial?
E-9- Glossopharyngeal?
F-12- Hypoglossal
G-11- Accessory
/QUOTE]

Sorry, it didn't get attached to the post the first time, but here it is.

Attachments

• cn.png
    cn.png
    72 KB · Views: 125
I'm not going to verify them because I'm lazy and would have to look it up, but for anyone viewing this thread, I had either 2 or 3 questions that required this exact thing on the real deal fwiw

I'm not going to verify them because I'm lazy and would have to look it up, but for anyone viewing this thread, I had either 2 or 3 questions that required this exact thing on the real deal fwiw

Thanks for letting us know this was on your exam... It did confuse me when I was taking the NBME since the nerves are so close to each other, but I was able to get it right. So, I wanted to label all of them to make sure I don't get confused in future again and lose such easy points. I just wanted to get these checked, but I guess it is little time consuming. I looked up multiple other similar google pics to compare this one so that helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not positive about all of them, but I can say that CN XI is not labeled. You can clearly see it arising from a lower point.

It looks like you're correct on A,B, and C. But looking at it I would say D is Facial and E is Vestibulocochlear because they both arise on the pons from the pontomedullary junction-whereas glossopharyngeal arises from the medulla exclusively. From there it's really hard to tell because some of the nerves are destroyed, but F looks more like Vagus than Hypoglossal to me because the fibers are arising from between the olive and inferior cerebellar peduncle-hypoglossal is more between the olive and pyramids, but its really hard to tell where its coming from. Same goes for G, but I would guess based on how high it is that it is glossopharyngeal. As Don Juan said XI is going to arise from lower, so I don't think it's that.