laboratory interpretation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gellybean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know of a good website or book that breaks down the type of information different lab tests provide and also includes a differential diagnosis for given abnormal values? e.g. mcv for anemia

Members don't see this ad.

Bakerman's. It's the best.

electra said:
Bakerman's. It's the best.

Is that the ABCLabdata one? I have that for my pda and even though I haven't had a chance to really use it yet, it seems like a great program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Desai, Samir. Clinician's Guide to Laboratory Medicine. 3rd ed.

browse thru this book at your local medical bookstore for a quick run down, but it's cheaper online from the author's publishing website (he's an attending at Baylor) and/or amazon.com. seriously one of the best books on the market today. THE MAJOR lab book i've used into 4th year & one that i will use beyond med school... (I have used the ABC lab in the past but it is organized in a different, less compelling, way)

it's fabulous because not only does it tell you what tests and why, but it sets it up in algorithm form, so you have a logical stepwise way to deduce a diagnosis/ddx. for example why this test BEFORE another test? or what are the limitations of this test over this one?

even comes with a little "pared down" booklet that fits easily in you white coat.

a strong book for the discussion sections, stepwise approach, and the algorithms.

check it out!

Ferri's Best Test is good too. :thumbup:

mobile Merck medicus

I second Mobile MerckMedicus!

I use it all the time and it's free... just register at www.merckmedicus.com and download it. It gives the cost, indication, interpretation, advantages, disadvantages, preparation, etc., of tons of lab, imaging, and micro tests. Also has a theraputic monitoring section and a 'Tests in DDx" section.

I second Mobile MerckMedicus!

I use it all the time and it's free... just register at www.merckmedicus.com and download it. It gives the cost, indication, interpretation, advantages, disadvantages, preparation, etc., of tons of lab, imaging, and micro tests. Also has a theraputic monitoring section and a "Tests in DDx" section.

If you have teh full version of ePocrates, it has the lab program that gives you information about all lab tests, tehir interpretation, and drugs that may cause abnormal lab values, high or low. And its all cross referenced, you can click on each drug in teh list to read about, or each disease to read about it. For example, a RF factor positive.... you see teh differrential and see that Hep C can cause it, you can click to see what Hep C is. Or if hydralazine causes a high AST, u can click it to see what it is or what its used for.