Laboratory methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interesting in learning more about the actual methods used to perform clinical laboratory tests. Any textbook suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

The general concept behind the test (like how an immunoassay works) or the specific method on some particular instrument? If the former, Henry is good enough and is probably easier to read than Tietz. If the latter, the procedure manual and/or package insert in the lab supervisor's office.

BTW, Are you a path resident, or non-pathologist or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an EM resident. Interested in understanding the concepts of how tests are done to better choose and interpret test results . And then honestly part of my interest is just nerding out on some chemistry and basic science...

If you really want to nerd out . . . I would peruse Tietz (but its mainly chemistry from what I can remember) but its expensive, that why I would peruse it before buying. I would recommend Henrys Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods, but if you just want some practical test ordering information for clinicians I would just go to ARUP Consult. Its free, its online, and it gives great info. I believe you can also download an app onto your phone.

I work in the lab and given the differences between instrument methodologies, as far as doing better choosing and interpreting results goes, you might be better of reading lab SOPs or package inserts. For just geeking out though, the above texts are good.